Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,235 times

Advertisements

What is Beaumont, Tx jobs, economy like ? If you'd like to have a few acres (have horses) where the best area to look ? We're probably going to have to move and there are a few jobs in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 02:43 PM

595 posts, read 2,723,209 times
What kind of jobs are you looking for? Beaumont is mostly oil, ship....that kind of stuff.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,235 times
Well if we go it will be because he has job offer, there are a couple in Beaumont and then another in Lake Charles, La. We really don't know anything about the area and we'd want to buy 5 acres or so ( would be great to find decent house on acreage).

Old 04-30-2008, 07:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
The beaumont area is in the start of huge industrial expension and unemployment is low. Last I heard south jefferson county had 12 billon in projects going alone.Itis very common to find cage such as you are talking about just out of the incorpoartaed areas. Housing is pretty tight and going up in value because of the demand right now but there is plenty of areas to build in.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The beaumont area is in the start of huge industrial expension and unemployment is low. Last I heard south jefferson county had 12 billon in projects going alone.Itis very common to find cage such as you are talking about just out of the incorpoartaed areas. Housing is pretty tight and going up in value because of the demand right now but there is planty of areas to build in.

Yes, that is true but also remember this expansion is only temporary. After 2-3 years when all of this is finished, what's going to happen to all of these new homes, apartments and hotels?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM

539 posts, read 1,805,053 times
Pretty much any area on the out-lying parts of Beaumont would fit what you're asking. Depending on from where you're moving, Beaumont is really affordable. What industry are you planning to enter, do you have any degrees, skills or knowledge which you could use here ? Beumont is a pretty much blue-collar type of town, refineries being the major employers, so take into consideration what you'd want to do if the economy shifted a bit here.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:05 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Yes, that is true but also remember this expansion is only temporary. After 2-3 years when all of this is finished, what's going to happen to all of these new homes, apartments and hotels?
The expanion alone will take ten years it is estimated that wre planned several years ago. Some have not even begun yet. Then of course with many industries doubling capacity there will be more premanent jobs. In fact the area keeps atrtracting alot of expansion it seems.I think alot has to do with the areas protection and how it recovered after Rita. The industry hardly skipped a beat. Remember that there were three areas that expansion was first announced in on the coast but this is the only area that companies didn't cancel.There has been expansion going on for ten years before this but it has excellerated and more projects have been announced that are just getting the areas prepared for now.Its in the end is just like any area that is expanding. I have little idea of the future but industry usually plans for the long term especially with this costly a expansion.Then remember that the next big oil in the US is in the deep gulf and those fields are already being leased.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:08 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,125 times
Quote:
The expanion alone will take ten years it is estimated that wre planned several years ago. Some have not even begun yet. Then of course with many industries doubling capacity there will be more premanent jobs. In fact the area keeps atrtracting alot of expansion it seems.I think alot has to do with the areas protection and how it recovered after Rita. The industry hardly skipped a beat. Remember that there were three areas that expansion was first announced in on the coast but this is the only area that companies didn't cancel.There has been expansion going on for ten years before this but it has excellerated and more projects have been announced that are just getting the areas prepared for now.Its in the end is just like any area that is expanding. I have little idea of the future but industry usually plans for the long term especially with this costly a expansion.Then remember that the next big oil in the US is in the deep gulf and those fields are already being leased.

Nice informative response.

5-10 acres will not be too hard to find. Remember most any area south of I-10 will be in the flood zone for a 20'+ storm surge. Especially along waterways. Sour Lake, China areas might offer some good choices. Areas further north of Beaumont by 20 miles up US 69 and US 96 are good too!

Old 05-04-2008, 04:42 PM

12 posts, read 39,290 times
Quote:
Thanks for this - you've given me some peace of mind, as I had the same question - what happens when the projects are done? SOunds like the expansions are projected well beyond just the next 3 years, though. Good news to imminent transplants like us!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 AM

5 posts, read 74,056 times
I think where you should look for housing will depend on where your husband will be working. I know the traffic up to Lumberton is terribly annoying.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 08-13-2008 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas