Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 12:26 PM

240 posts, read 210,321 times

Advertisements

Is the Dell Medical school on the main campus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 12:57 PM

5,546 posts, read 7,848,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
Is the Dell Medical school on the main campus?
It is new and tiny. They just graduated their first class in 2000 and do maybe 5% of the research as the flagship med schools in the UT system like UT Southwestern in Dallas and the UT Health Science Center in Houston.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:37 PM

149 posts, read 149,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
You missed my point. Every one of the top-10 research universities in the country as ranked by research dollars is in the top-10 list because they have research hospitals and medical schools co-located on their campuses. That is because there are more research dollars in medicine than any other type of research.

You aren't really making an apples to apples comparison if you compare Johns Hopkins, Michigan, or Washington to UT because those universities have their med schools and teaching hospitals located on campus unlike UT.

I think he understood your point. The University of Michigan and washington are not part of a larger university system and thus the medical schools and other graduate programs fall within the institution unlike UTSW and MD Anderson which are distinct entities from UT Austin (Dell Medical School on the other hand is part of UT Austin like the respective medical schools for Michigan/Washington and so would be an apt comparison). And also, there are medical schools that aren't located next to the main university such as Penn state and University of Oklahoma but fall underneath the campus umbrella

Old 07-28-2021, 05:04 PM

223 posts, read 143,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
TCU brand is big enough to get in the PAC12 and honestly they will compete for a PAC 12 title every year. TCU brand is a lot bigger out west from it’s days when the football program dominated the MWC. Half of TCU students are from California. I’m pretty sure Utah will also vouch for TCU inclusion in the conference. Out of the remaining big 12 programs TCU is the most respectable and would offer the most to the PAC12. USC, Standford, Oregon st, & UCLA all have great respect for TCU. That dynamic can’t be ignored.
TCU aint chit.

TCU is going to get left behind just like they did 25 years ago.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Baylor is arguably a bigger brand than TCU. It is also a much larger university so has a larger audience. TCU would instantly be the smallest university in the Pac-12 by a wide margin.

TCU also only really brings football into the Pac-12. Baylor brings men's and women's basketball, world-class track and field, and is generally better in most other sports like soccer, softball, and baseball.

It is still within the realm of possibility that UT and OU are the two teams that flee to the Pac-12. Joining the SEC is far from a done deal and there are plenty of SEC teams who might want to veto those teams joining in addition to A&M. I could see Missouri and Arkansas vetoing the inclusion of those two teams. Maybe Vanderbilt as well. And even teams like South Carolina and Tennessee who already have a hard enough time winning without adding OU and UT to the mix.

If not then I could see the Pac-12 bringing in BYU and CSU to set up two more home-and-away travel pairs for all the other sports like basketball. And then add two Texas teams, which would be Tech and Baylor if I were to guess. Baylor just brings a much bigger portfolio in all the other sports which is a big deal to the Pac-12 as well. It would instantly elevate the Pac-12 in both men's and women's basketball.
Baylor has 4 National Title in basketball over the past 16 years (2005, 2012, 2019, 2021).

Baylor is on its way to becoming the premier basketball school in the entire country.

They have one of the premier Athletic Departments in the entire country with success in Major Sports and minor sports.

TCU is pretty good at one sport, and non existent in everything else.

TCU brand/reach is small outside Ft Worth.

Last edited by Nuclear Bear; 07-28-2021 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 05:11 PM

10,060 posts, read 6,764,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
TCU aint chit.

TCU is going to get left behind just like they did 25 years ago.
Facts. Plus PAC-12 notoriously opposes religious schools. Being headquartered in San Francisco has a lot to do with that.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
A&M got in because it is one of the largest and richest public schools in the country with a monster football program and it expanded the SEC's recruiting and media market westward. And they were the first of the big Texas schools to jump.

UT and OU are going to be a slightly different calculation I suspect. I suspect they feel that they need the SEC more than the SEC needs them.
I will give Texas A&M credit. Their media hype machine makes the average person believe they are much better than what they actually are.

The last time that Texas A&M finished in first place in their conference was when Bill Clinton was president back in 1998.

Over the past 25 years Texas A&M "monster football program" has had three great seasons: 1998, 2012, and 2020.

The rest of those years the Texas A&M football program was thoroughly average.

If any of you all think I'm making this up....take a look at the Aggies have done since 1996 when they joined the BIGXII.

Texas A&M is the definition of mediocrity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...otball_seasons

Last edited by Nuclear Bear; 07-28-2021 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
I will give Texas A&M credit. Their media hype machine makes the average person believe they are much better than what they actually are.

The last time that Texas A&M finished in first place in their conference was when Bill Clinton was president back in 1998.

Over the past 25 years Texas A&M "monster football program" has had three great seasons: 1998, 2012, and 2020.

The rest of those years the Texas A&M football program was thoroughly average.

If any of you all think I'm making this up....take a look at the Aggies have done since 1996 when they joined the BIGXII.

Texas A&M is the definition of mediocrity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...otball_seasons
Monster in that they have a stadium that holds over 100,000 so they are a top 5 team in terms of both attendance and revenue. https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances Not that they are the most wining team.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:10 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,301,090 times
Both A&M and UT are mediocrity. UT has an athletic budget that would dwarf the GDP of quite a few small first world countries, but that immense wealth does not translate into success. They basically tripped and fell into their last New Years bowl game due to contract obligations and biased media support and not actual football merit. And then there was that insane buyout of Charlie Strong. I do believe that A&M and UT are now on their way football success much to my dismay, but I have enjoyed the last couple of years of gross overspending with nothing to show for it.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Facts. Plus PAC-12 notoriously opposes religious schools. Being headquartered in San Francisco has a lot to do with that.
I don't think they necessarily oppose religious schools per se. They opposed and vetoed BYU due to it's discriminatory policies in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas