Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 02:54 PM

20,114 posts, read 18,374,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
I really hope UH gets in the Pac12 with Tech, & then the academics is something UTex can pound their chest on against Vandy.
I can't see UH or Tech in The Pac-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 02:55 PM

10,102 posts, read 6,792,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
Which will matter to no one outside of the A&M and UT fan bases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I can't see UH or Tech in The Pac-12.
I agree. There’s not gonna be any form of major move to PAC 12 from Texas schools. This is ridiculous

Old 07-26-2021, 02:56 PM

12,993 posts, read 13,461,697 times
Quote:
By comparison, Tech supports 5 universities, including medical, veterinary, dental, pharmacy branches spread across the state, from Dallas to El Paso, without one dime from the West Texas oil money reserved exclusively for A&M and Texas.
That’s because the PUF was established in 1876, 47 years before the founding of Texas Tech.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:07 PM

22 posts, read 12,977 times
Quote:
1. US News and similar rankings are for people who don't pay attention.

2, I don't have any reason to be biased for or against UT I have no Orange-blood in me nor do I sip tea.

3. The gap between UT and Tennessee is vast.
I purposely used Tennessee since OU is so underrated.

What's your metric for claiming that UT is far passed the likes of UGA and Florida? Academically speaking. I won't dissect every ranking, but this holier than thou UT attitude is insufferable.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezywind View Post
I purposely used Tennessee since OU is so underrated.

What's your metric for claiming that UT is far passed the likes of UGA and Florida? Academically speaking. I won't dissect every ranking, but this holier than thou UT attitude is insufferable.

Would you stop with the UT attitude stuff. I'm not a UT guy.......I am very interested in higher education.

My metrics are number of very highly ranked programs, research volume and especially quality, better law and medicine programs. FWIIW to be clear Florida is a great university, I'm not claiming UT is far better than Florida but UT has more and better if you will across many areas. FE Florida sells itself as a great engineering school any reasonable read of the tea leaves indicates UT engineering is better with more top ranked individual programs.

Georgia isn't an AAU member. It's just not particularly strong in research.

Last edited by EDS_; 07-26-2021 at 03:47 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 03:43 PM

240 posts, read 210,379 times
For those wishing for a UT-PAC affiliation, you would already be in that conference had not A&M balked at UT negotiating with the PAC without their approval. It was a done deal. Tech was in the mix then and will be in the mix again:

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - The conference shake up continues Sunday as Pac-10 Commissioner Larry Scott visits Lubbock to meet with Texas Tech officials about joining the conference.

Scott landed in Lubbock shortly after 12:30 p.m. Sunday and was hurried over to Jones AT&T Stadium to meet with select Tech officials about potentially moving over to the Pac-10 conference.

KCBD NewsChannel 11 Sports has heard reports that Scott was not here to make an invitation to Tech to join the conference, but rather to encourage them to apply to join. Joining the conference is not done on an invitation basis but through application just like any other job.

Reportedly, should Tech decide to apply, the acceptance would be a mere formality on the part of the Pac-10 committee.

We did hear from Chancellor Kent Hance regarding the meeting, which he said went, "very well" and they should know something in the next 48 hours

https://www.kcbd.com/story/12643031/...ts-texas-tech/

Old 07-26-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
For those wishing for a UT-PAC affiliation, you would already be in that conference had not A&M balked at UT negotiating with the PAC without their approval. It was a done deal. Tech was in the mix then and will be in the mix again:

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - The conference shake up continues Sunday as Pac-10 Commissioner Larry Scott visits Lubbock to meet with Texas Tech officials about joining the conference.

Scott landed in Lubbock shortly after 12:30 p.m. Sunday and was hurried over to Jones AT&T Stadium to meet with select Tech officials about potentially moving over to the Pac-10 conference.

KCBD NewsChannel 11 Sports has heard reports that Scott was not here to make an invitation to Tech to join the conference, but rather to encourage them to apply to join. Joining the conference is not done on an invitation basis but through application just like any other job.

Reportedly, should Tech decide to apply, the acceptance would be a mere formality on the part of the Pac-10 committee.

We did hear from Chancellor Kent Hance regarding the meeting, which he said went, "very well" and they should know something in the next 48 hours

https://www.kcbd.com/story/12643031/...ts-texas-tech/
Per your UT - Pac 10/12 point. After Colorado joined the PAC-12 the school made it clear it would fight UT joining. CO did not want to be in an inland division of the PAC -12.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:57 PM

22 posts, read 12,977 times
Quote:
Would you stop with the UT attitude stuff. I'm not a UT guy.......I am very interested in higher education.

My metrics are number of very highly ranked programs, research volume and especially quality, better law and medicine programs. FWIIW to be clear Florida is a great university, I'm not claiming UT is far better than Florida but UT has more and better if you will across many areas. FE Florida sells itself as a great engineering school and reasonable read of the tea leaves indicates UT engineering is better with more top ranked individual programs.

Georgia isn't an AAU member. It's just not particularly strong in research.
"Texas would immediately be the top SEC school academically..."

You make an absolute statement based on anecdotes, no rankings, and no numbers, ignore Vanderbilt, but I shouldn't think that's bias? There is a world outside of Texas. By many metrics Florida is an equal and arguably above Texas if you take into account how highly ranked they are without the benefit of a PUF fund. AAU is great, but it isn't the end all be all. Dartmouth didn't join until 2 years ago.

With this sort elitism, I hope the SEC knows what they're taking in. And this isn't a UT guy.

Old 07-26-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Per your UT - Pac 10/12 point. After Colorado joined the PAC-12 the school made it clear it would fight UT joining. CO did not want to be in an inland division of the PAC -12.
A&M torpedoed the deal and negotiated its way into the Sec because of the LHN and other issues. Now Texas will forever be linked to Tiger Droppings, SECRant and Qanon followers that litter the Sec boards.

Last edited by Andtheblack; 07-26-2021 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezywind View Post
"Texas would immediately be the top SEC school academically..."

You make an absolute statement based on anecdotes, no rankings, and no numbers, ignore Vanderbilt, but I shouldn't think that's bias? There is a world outside of Texas. By many metrics Florida is an equal and arguably above Texas if you take into account how highly ranked they are without the benefit of a PUF fund. AAU is great, but it isn't the end all be all. Dartmouth didn't join until 2 years ago.

With this sort elitism, I hope the SEC knows what they're taking in. And this isn't a UT guy.
The two generally accepted elite associations for US schools are the AAU and the Carnegie 1 Research Classification. Of the 108 Carnegie 1 schools, roughly 68 or so are also AAU members, which means 40 plus schools with the highest research designation have not be invited into the AAU.

It took Texas A&M 110 years to achieve AAU status (and that was with PUF money!) I doubt it will take UGA, UH, or Tech (all Carnegie 1 schools) that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas