Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:23 AM

384 posts, read 1,670,974 times

Advertisements

No you were right, it is darn husband! LOL Just kidding (well sort of!)

Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 08:47 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,282,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post
Hope you will like it here. I came not knowing a soul but that soon changed. This place started feeling familiar right away. I finally got my Texas tags for the car and my new Texas driver's license so I guess I am official now! I have eaten my share of BBQ and jalapenos--it's all good! I think Midland is a well kept secret especially for people raising families. My doctor, who moved here from Houston summed it up for me "it's easy to live here when you have children" and that is so true. I'm not worried about the lack of scenery etc. THat's what road trips and vacations are for. We're heading to San Antonio and Sea World right after Christmas! Maybe we'll see you here some day. Feel to ask anything you want. I just have to tell you that someone today (presumably from here in West Texas) told me it was just freezing out today! I was wearing shorts because it was 72 degrees!!!

Pam
What do you think of today Pam? We are having a white Thanksgiving, looks like this winter is setting up to be like last winter.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:46 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,888,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
What do you think of today Pam? We are having a white Thanksgiving, looks like this winter is setting up to be like last winter.
Do you have ANY idea of how JEALOUS I am?

We (Alamogordo, NM) were supposed to get snow, too, but.....nary a flurry yet.

I think Midland cooled off when I left just to spite me.

ENJOY!!!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:07 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,282,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Do you have ANY idea of how JEALOUS I am?

We (Alamogordo, NM) were supposed to get snow, too, but.....nary a flurry yet.

I think Midland cooled off when I left just to spite me.

ENJOY!!!
Hehe, a white Thanksgiving isn't quite as cool as a white Christmas but it is still pretty awesome. The other awesome thing is that we have had a warm autumn up to now. So we had nice warm weather then bang, snow.

Have a very happy Thanksgiving Cathy.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,888,632 times
Default Enjoy the snow in Midland.....:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Hehe, a white Thanksgiving isn't quite as cool as a white Christmas but it is still pretty awesome. The other awesome thing is that we have had a warm autumn up to now. So we had nice warm weather then bang, snow.

Have a very happy Thanksgiving Cathy.
Thank you, Lucidus.....hopefully you'll see a White Christmas there, too...I never had one the entire 30 years I lived there, though....hope you're having a great day, and Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

We have a few flurries here now...I just got a call from a friend in Midland, and he said that the snow is piling up nicely...said y'all are getting the biggest flakes he's ever seen...and that is a LOT coming from someone who grew up in northern IN...and has lived in Montana, too....LOL!!

Old 11-22-2007, 08:23 PM

Default I drove in it!!

Dh had to work at the hospital in Big Spring today so I packed up a Thanksgiving picnic and loaded the kids in the car and headed up there around 10:30am. Wasn't too bad until we got to Stanton then it was just blowing side-ways. I drove slow (around 50mph) and people were passing me! No one went in the ditch though. We only stayed in B.S. about an hour (because the kids were falling apart) and the snow was was blowing harder coming home! This is where all my years in South Dakota and driving in the snow came in handy. But really what can you do ? We should have stayed home but otherwise I just drove real slow (well slow for the interstate anyway).

I heard on the news this morning that the only snow ever on Thanksgiving in Midland was a TRACE in 1982 and 1969. We sure made the record books today!!!

Midland is now white that's supposed to say white but you can't see it)! (remember I posted way back when that Midland was Green!)

I guess this means I have to get snow boots for me and the kids.

Pam

Old 01-08-2008, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,838 times
Default Moving...

From Wisconsin to Midland Texas. Wisconsin is lush, green, hilly, rivers lakes streams, fishing. And, I don't mind the snow or the cold.
Midland flat, mesquite bushes, sand. BEAUTIFUL sunsets.

Husbands family lives there, he has been there since October, applied for a job and you guessed it he was hired. He was retired from a position he had for 30 years in Milwaukee. We are planing on a temporary move for 2 years.
I've been to Midland several times, people are friendly, weather is okay, can cool off in the evenings, but heat up in day time, pretty good resturants,
they have Dillards, Kohls Department Store and several others, it has a variety of things to offer folks, it may not be home, but it will be okay.
Our agreement is 2 years max, if I decide to come home I can.

Travel Texas, something for every one, East Texas = Beautiful. Love the small towns with the Town Squares..Quaint places to Austin and the River Walk in San Antonio.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:42 AM

Default Midland's secrets

What do people in Midland do?

Here is the secret. This is what people in Midland do. They go to work, to school and to Church, some stay home and take care of and/or teach their children. They play football, basketball, soccer, tennis, golf, polo and baseball/softball and volleyball. They sing in the Choir and they try out for a part in the Community Theater play. THey go to the theater and plays several times a year or go listen to a guest speaker who is visiting in town (politics, parenting etc) . They go swimming all year round, they go horseback riding. They jog, run and walk and go out dancing. They go to the playground with their kids and sometimes their pets and feed the ducks in the pond. They go shopping, to the movies, bowling, skating, and out to eat. They go on play dates, attend birthday parties and other holiday parties and social events. They go to the museums, the nature center and visit whichever art show is currently on display. They go to the library. They attend girl scout meetings, boy scout meetings, Indian Princesses, gymnastics and dance classes. They go the YMCA to exercise (all ages at a great price!). They attend art class, pottery, painting etc., music class: musikgarten for kids, piano lessons, violin lessons, voice lessons, etc. They volunteer in soup kitchens, shelters, and various other community civic projects. They attend meetings and get involved in their community. Some go out in the country and shoot clay things, or go ATVing. They visit their neighbors and watch their kids play outdoors. They go on vacation occasionally to see something new in a different community. Hmmmmmmmmmm sounds like Midland is a pretty normal place to me, much like anywhere else.

Pam

Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,966,197 times
And they Dodge Dust Storms.

But your right Midland is just like many other places.. pretty normal.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:25 PM

Neat picture. I've only seen one big cloud of dust like that out by the airport one time. There's something no matter where you live---pick your poison: hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, drought, wind, blizzards, ice, dust, scorching heat, sticky humidity! The perfect place to live is always debated on another thread!

Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas