Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 04:22 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
He's not arguing with facts, you haven't presented any for him to argue with. Did you actually read what he posted? He completely destroyed your entire opinion with just a couple simple statements of fact. Let me remind you...

The sad fact is that you yourself don't understand the pro-dallas article and you're desperately grasping for help that isn't there.
....oh now the excuse is its a Pro-Dallas article.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:35 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Dallasboi, Dallasboi. Give it up already !You've been had.

And your envy is so strong it reeks out of my laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
Big D is repurposing building after building after building into residential, shopping, etc - mixed use. Some as tall as 52 stories completely gutted and restored into new uses. The square footage of THAT new construction is in the multimillions of square feet. Downtown Dallas is about to completely transform itself more of a place of life not just 8-5 M-F like Houston. And the expansion of downtown Dallas is growingl faster and faster into uptown, Trinity Groves, Design District, Victory Park, and across the river into near Oak Cliff to a point the CBD is going to be 5 times the current size in the next 20 years.
This is where I have to stop you right now. Both cities are doing phenominal projects to build up and strengthen their cores, residential wise. The major difference, Dallas's most notable time was last decade, Houston's new time is happening right now. Nice try.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 PM

638 posts, read 569,029 times
Default A West Texans perspective.

Growing up in West Texas we loved Dallas Fort Worth. Going to the State Fair, Six Flags, the Cotton Bowl, shopping at the stores, the Stockyards in Fort Worth and the museums zoos. We loved going to Dallas and Fort Worth. The people there were down to earth and welcoming to strangers. I think West Texas people have a close love for Dallas Fort Worth. Just my opinion.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:10 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The key word is "BUILDING"

The leasing activity that the article is speaking of has nothing to do with the "City" that Exxon is building....Its not done yet PEOPLE!!!!...They are speaking of leasing that has already happened...in all the skyscrapers and office that was just built.....You Houstonians can high five each other all day and still means nothing..
Dude. Did you not even bother reading that article Dallaz posted? Here's a quote straight from it...

Quote:
Most of our office demand is coming from insurance (State Farm) and financial firms, the study shows.
So yes. The 3 million square foot Exxon campus counts. It's been "leased"/claimed for Exxon.. It's not going spec, sitting there waiting for a tenant to sign on still..

Again, Houston has had so much more office space under construction/built over the last 4-5 years compared to Dallas that it's mind boggling. I don't think yall realize how much more development we've been putting up compared to Dallas.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:17 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
The key word is "BUILDING"

The leasing activity that the article is speaking of has nothing to do with the "City" that Exxon is building....Its not done yet PEOPLE!!!!...They are speaking of leasing that has already happened...in all the skyscrapers and office that was just built.....You Houstonians can high five each other all day and still means nothing..
Quote:
....oh now the excuse is its a Pro-Dallas article.
The new Exxon space counts towards the numbers, did you even read the article and the data behind the flashy graphs?

Old 01-22-2015, 12:03 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,598,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I agree with the latter half. But what in the world are you talking about in the first paragraph..? Are you basing this off of population growth or some other random statistic?

You may want to take a look at this article if you believe what you wrote...

America's new superpower city? Houston blows by New York in key building metric, tops in U.S. by wide margin

Houston has so much more development going on compared to DFW (well practically anywhere in the country) that it's insane. How can you even say DFW is anywhere close to Houston in this cycle, much less "slightly ahead"?

Not trying to pick at you, just trying to understand how you came to that assumption?

Oh, and since that article only covered office construction, here's an article for multi family...

Houston ranked a top city for multifamily construction - Prime Property
Man, relax. I was talking about population growth, not new office construction. I also said I didn't have the stats in front of me. Seriously, calm down. I'm not your adversary dallasboi.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:10 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Lmfao.. How many tens of millions of square feet did Dallas have under construction? Not even 10 mil? I'd be inclined to say the other Houston industries aren't too far behind Dallas' industry totals, if at all, given how much more construction/office space Houston has been building compared to Dallas.

Houston will probably slow down to a boom more like what Dallas is seeing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I don't have the stats right in front of me, but both Houston and DFW have been growing at roughly the same rate in the last few years. In all fairness, Houston's boom is likely slightly less than DFW's is currently. It's still growing at a nice, healthy pace though... and will probably continue to do so throughout the duration of this overly-sensationalized dip in oil prices.

The media is doing what they do best: making a much bigger deal out of this so-called "bust" than it really is. Pure sensationalism. This isn't the same scenario as the 80's. I don't have a crystal ball or powers of clairvoyance, but I'd be willing to wager a fortune on gas returning to just under $4 a gallon by this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Man, relax. I was talking about population growth, not new office construction. I also said I didn't have the stats in front of me. Seriously, calm down. I'm not your adversary dallasboi.
My bad.. Thought it was pretty clear I was talking about development in the post you quoted. Population growth wise, yeah.. DFW is fairly close to Houston. Definitely not ahead though.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:33 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Mod note: Discussing other members is not allowed! This is not a chat room.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:43 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
Growing up in West Texas we loved Dallas Fort Worth. Going to the State Fair, Six Flags, the Cotton Bowl, shopping at the stores, the Stockyards in Fort Worth and the museums zoos. We loved going to Dallas and Fort Worth. The people there were down to earth and welcoming to strangers. I think West Texas people have a close love for Dallas Fort Worth. Just my opinion.
I think that's true. DFW tends to attract more West Texans---which is why the region seems to have more of a traditional Texas feel---while Houston tends to attract more East Texans and people from Louisiana---which is why it feels way more Southern.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:28 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I think that's true. DFW tends to attract more West Texans---which is why the region seems to have more of a traditional Texas feel---while Houston tends to attract more East Texans and people from Louisiana---which is why it feels way more Southern.
Dallas has alot of east Texas and shreveport louisiana migration too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas