Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 11:27 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippybarber View Post
lol these comments are funny...
Ft worth wouldn't be anything without Dallas and Dallas wouldn't be anything without Ft Worth both bring business to the table!

Houston wouldn't be as big if it didn't annex, therefore the metroplex is great, and so is DFW metroplex
San Antonio is larger because of it's location and because of it's ability to annex as well.
Dallas doesn't need more land just a change of identity, to show people they don't have to move to the burbs and Dallas takes care of there burbs and DFW all work together but people see nice stuff and tend to settle and go to the CITY every now and then. So Dallas is Trying to fix that part that use to be nice "Oakcliff" "West Dallas" and Show the Real Dallas. It's been long enough that they have given the burbs their shine so now it's time to take some back. If you wanna talk about why the Rangers decided to go to Arlington is because they wanted to give the benefit of people from both FT worth and Dallas, suburbs as well to have that one Team "Rangers" look it up if you don't believe. "Sorry I don't have the link"

Houston is great Hold on hold on Houston's Metro because that's what it comes to Honestly. It's great but Honestly DFW has more to offer in General.
Dallas has gained 191,000 people over the past 22 years. From 2000-2010 Dallas grew by a pathetic 0.8%.

Houston has gained 469,000 people over the past 22 years. That is over twice the amount of people move to Houston Vs. Dallas. Houston is also denser inside its urban loop. The growth from 2000-2010 alone was 7.5%

The proof is in the pudding.

Case in point, Dallas' appeal is in its suburbs, not the city itself. If you don't believe me just ask all those large companies who fled downtown for places like Plano, Richardson, Las Colinas, Addison, etc. back in the 90's & early 2000's.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-08-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 11:39 AM

328 posts, read 471,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston was once the State Capital of Texas...long before Austin.

Texas independence was won just east of Houston.

Houston put man on the moon.

Advantage: Houston

Dallas has no where near the historical importance of Houston.
A little thing called the integrated circuit was invented by Jack Kilby in 1958, who worked for Texas Instruments in Dallas. The computer revolution was born. Without computers man would not have been to the moon.

About Jack | Jack Kilby | Innovation | Company | About TI

On a lighter side, the frozen margarita was also invented in Dallas.

First Frozen Margarita Machine Dallas and FAQ: Margaritas by Margarita Masters

Note for both references I said DALLAS, not the DFW metropolitan area. I understand how important city boundaries are on this board. City boundaries mean EVERYTHING. If it happens 10 feet across the city line from the dominant city, the dominant city cannot lay claim to anything. It might as well have happened in another state!

Unless we're talking about Galveston or The Woodlands.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
A little thing called the integrated circuit was invented by Jack Kilby in 1958, who worked for Texas Instruments in Dallas. The computer revolution was born. Without computers man would not have been to the moon.

About Jack | Jack Kilby | Innovation | Company | About TI

On a lighter side, the frozen margarita was also invented in Dallas.

First Frozen Margarita Machine Dallas and FAQ: Margaritas by Margarita Masters

Note for both references I said DALLAS, not the DFW metropolitan area. I understand how important city boundaries are on this board. City boundaries mean EVERYTHING. If it happens 10 feet across the city line from the dominant city, the dominant city cannot lay claim to anything. It might as well have happened in another state!

Unless we're talking about Galveston or The Woodlands.
While that is an interesting bit of history, the worlds first artificial heart pump invented by world reknown cardiac surgeon Dr. DeBakey & silicone breast implant was invented in Houston. We all know how many flat chested Dallas women there would be if it weren't for Houston.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-08-2012 at 11:53 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Dallas has gained 191,000 people over the past 22 years. From 2000-2010 Dallas grew by a pathetic 0.8%.

Houston has gained 469,000 people over the past 22 years. That is over twice the amount of people move to Houston Vs. Dallas. Houston is also denser inside its urban loop. The growth from 2000-2010 alone was 7.5%

The proof is in the pudding.

Case in point, Dallas' appeal is in its suburbs, not the city itself. If you don't believe me just ask all those large companies who fled downtown for places like Plano, Richardson, Las Colinas, Addison, etc. back in the 90's & early 2000's.
As usual, you've posted deceptive stats.

Houston has 239 sq. land miles of city limits more than Dallas to absorb population.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
As usual, you've posted deceptive stats.

Houston has 239 sq. land miles of city limits to absorb more population than Dallas.
You see, this is where it makes Dallas look even worse...Houston has more land area to cover yet its population density is higher albeit not by a large margin, but still, South Dallas looks & feels very rural as opposed to highly developed North Dallas.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:14 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
You see, this is where it makes Dallas look even worse...Houston has more land area to cover yet its population density is higher albeit not by a large margin, but still, South Dallas looks & feels very rural as opposed to highly developed North Dallas.
What is it you're trying to focus on Matt?

Your initial post was regarding sheer population growth numbers, although screwed due to the comparision cities city limit boundaries vary. Now you're bringing up population densities.

Typical pro-Houston poster propaganda.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
While that is an interesting bit of history, the worlds first artificial heart pump invented by world reknown cardiac surgeon Dr. DeBakey & silicone breast implant was invented in Houston. We all know how many flat chested Dallas women there would be if it weren't for Houston.
"When the AMC Grand opened in 1995, it was a unique behemoth: the first megaplex not only in Dallas but in the country. With 24 screens and a parking lot that felt like a city, it was the place to see all the big, new releases. The AMC Grand ushered in a new concept that revolutionized the U.S. theater industry."

Trendsetter AMC Grand megaplex closing Nov. 30 | Chris Vognar Columns and Reviews - Entertainment News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippybarber View Post
Houston is great Hold on hold on Houston's Metro because that's what it comes to Honestly. It's great but Honestly DFW has more to offer in General.
Honestly is does not offer more. For one, DFW is surrounded by land. Greater Houston has water all around it.

This right here is advantage economically and entertainment wise. These is so much you can do living by the coast regardless how horrible some say the water is.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
* The nation's first convenience stores, the vast 7-Eleven chain, now in 18 countries, started here in 1922.
* Henry Garrett invented the first car radio in the early 1920s.
* In 1931, Highland Park Village opened, the first shopping center with stores surrounding a central parking area.
* In 1938, Hillcrest State Bank opened the first drive-up bank window.
* The first integrated circuit, which became the microchip, was invented by Jack Kilby in 1958 at Texas Instruments.
* The idea for the ubiquitous ATM machine came from Don Wetzel in the 1960s.
* The frozen margarita was invented by Dallas restauranteur Mariano Martinez in 1971.
* Inspired by his daughter's Super Ball, Dallas' Lamar Hunt, owner of the Kansas City Chiefs, coined "Super Bowl."
* Barney, the lovable purple dinosaur of Public Broadcasting, comes from Dallas area, as does the smart, history-loving dog, Wishbone.

WRR CLASSICAL 101.1 FM
The City of Dallas-owned radio station not only pioneered the local airwaves; WRR was the first licensed broadcast station in Texas and one of the nation's five inaugural stations.

I would say all the items mentioned have had a huge influence on American culture, and world culture, which continues today.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 PM

44 posts, read 80,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I disagree with alot of points made here. First of all, Houston is not big from strict annexation. The towns that were annexed were very small and populations ranging from 5,000- 20,000. Houston is over 2 million people. That is not enough to even mention in the grand scheme of things.

And since you're saying DFW has more to offer in general? You state it as if its fact, and your comment doesn't hold water unless you can elaborate.
Has more as far as what? Yes, they have an advantage of having an amusement park right now because Six Flags decided to run Houston's only amusement park in the ground, but that's temporary. But What else?

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
From a point of view looking inside and out or outside in you can see that the metroplex of DFW is growing superior. Amusement park is one thing but you can go all day about restaurants, entertainment, and attractions that edge is in DFW. Really as an economic powerhouse I give Houston it's props "sorry if I didn't" Both Metro's stand great on that but in my opinion "which is fact in my head" lol I give the edge to DFW especially for not being rivals and realizing that they can work together. Kind of like how New York can place "New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania in one metroplex??? Why doesn't anyone complain about that? hahahaha oh yeah because they all work together! Again I'm all for Houston if that makes since but DFW in my opinion is Greater in an overall packaged Metro. No Disrespect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas