Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I think the Dallas Area handles growth exceptionally well.I cant think of one thing that is hindered here because of being overpopulated...I also think that dallas does well with planning for future growth...We still havent filled our britches to capacity yet....Houston feels more overpopulated than DFW and it is twice the size.....hmmmmm..go figure that one out.

It's the sprawl that bugs me more than anything. Dallas and Houston are both doing a lot to beef up and densify their cores, but in both cities growth is always going to be mostly suburban and go mainly to the fringes of the area. DFW and Houston are larger than some states already. When is enough enough? We're about to spend a decade beefing up our freeways across Dallas/Fort Worth only for the population to outgrow the expansion efforts. How much worse will traffic be when Celina, Melissa and so on have 150,000 to 200,000 people in them all fighting for highway space, too?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:15 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
^^^ That doesn't make sense

if you are talking about physical size, DFW is more square miles. Maybe that is why Houston feels denser.

If you are talking UA size, DFW is larger, Maybe that is why Houston feels denser.
No...What Im saying is.....Even though DFW has more people it still feels less crowded than Houston.....which adds to the point that DFW takes on growth exceptionally well.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
It's the sprawl that bugs me more than anything. Dallas and Houston are both doing a lot to beef up and densify their cores, but in both cities growth is always going to be mostly suburban and go mainly to the fringes of the area. DFW and Houston are larger than some states already. When is enough enough? We're about to spend a decade beefing up our freeways across Dallas/Fort Worth only for the population to outgrow the expansion efforts. How much worse will traffic be when Celina, Melissa and so on have 150,000 to 200,000 people in them all fighting for highway space, too?
I agree with you for the most part...But it would be a much bigger problem if those people in Celina and Melissa all worked in Downtown dallas.Yes the freeways will never catch up and thats the reassurance that as the years go by...Dart will become a vital part in the ebb and flow of DFW.....thats why I laugh when people try and use our ridership numbers against us..."WE WILL GROW INTO OUR RAIL SYSTEM"...Its such a relief that Dallas jumped on the light rail bandwaggon when it did. That puts us right where we need to be to face all this growth that we are about to experience.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:29 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
No...What Im saying is.....Even though DFW has more people it still feels less crowded than Houston.....which adds to the point that DFW takes on growth exceptionally well.
It's the way that the Metroplex's population is distributed that makes it feel less crowded. It's very multipolar, which is why I've always said that Greater Houston feels more like a big city, while DFW feels more like a big area. Personally, the latter is too relaxed for me and has too much of that "wide open spaces" look. I'm a city boy who needs some chaos in my life.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Or that DFW is more spread out than Houston.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
so you are saying that denser cities are somehow less able to handle growth? Still not making sense man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
It's the way that the Metroplex's population is distributed that makes it feel less crowded. It's very multipolar, which is why I've always said that Greater Houston feels more like a big city, while DFW feels more like a big area. Personally, the latter is too relaxed for me and has too much of that "wide open spaces" look. I'm a city boy who needs some chaos in my life.
Okay this makes sense. Yeah, DFW population centers are more spread out so the overall effect of the population feels more dispersed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Or that DFW is more spread out than Houston.
In short, yes.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
so you are saying that denser cities are somehow less able to handle growth? Still not making sense man.

Okay this makes sense. Yeah, DFW population centers are more spread out so the overall effect of the population feels more dispersed.

In short, yes.
Okay...all of this does make sense......and in the long run this will cause Dallas to densify the right way....with more areas to choose from...we wont have to throw buildings up cheaply to accomidate the influx of people thats pouring in....my 2cents.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Okay...all of this does make sense......and in the long run this will cause Dallas to densify the right way....with more areas to choose from...we wont have to throw buildings up cheaply to accomidate the influx of people thats pouring in....my 2cents.
what is the right way to densify??

Or rather, how is densifying in 55 different cities in 10,000 square miles better than densifying in one city in the same 10,000 sq miles?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
what is the right way to densify??

Or rather, how is densifying in 55 different cities in 10,000 square miles better than densifying in one city in the same 10,000 sq miles?
The same...Why do ya'll act Houston is just field with residental towers like NYC or Chicago. Houston is mostly suburban with tons of single family homes and strip malls all cluttered together.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The same...Why do ya'll act Houston is just field with residental towers like NYC or Chicago. Houston is mostly suburban with tons of single family homes and strip malls all cluttered together.
I never said that at all.

All I am asking is why he thinks DFW is any different in its development pattern.

I never alluded to one being more dense than the other. All I said is how one developing in multiple cities in the same area different from developing in one city in the same area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas