Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 08:45 AM

875 posts, read 1,662,845 times

Advertisements

Tyler is okay. I see alot of folks say that its nice but they have towns in Central Texas that look and feel better than Tyler.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:45 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,013,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Tyler is okay. I see alot of folks say that its nice but they have towns in Central Texas that look and feel better than Tyler.
Tyler is more than just a "town", its a small city & metro now.

Its comparable to cities like Lubbock, Waco, Denton, & Beaumont.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:36 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,967,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Tyler is more than just a "town", its a small city & metro now.

Its comparable to cities like Lubbock, Waco, Denton, & Beaumont.
Denton? Only city on your list that doesn't fit. Denton may sort of be off by itself in the DFW area, but most residents in that area don't even work in Denton County.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,013,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Denton? Only city on your list that doesn't fit. Denton may sort of be off by itself in the DFW area, but most residents in that area don't even work in Denton County.
Both Denton & Tyler have 2 or more major colleges. Denton has UNT & TWU. Tyler has UT, Texas College (historically minority college), & TJC (one of the oldest & largest Junior colleges in the nation)

Both Denton & Tyler have loops though Tyler is building a 2nd outer loop (tollway) as we speak.

Denton has approximately 10K more people than Tyler.

Tyler has the larger, more urban feeling downtown.

Tyler is more diverse than Denton.

The cities are more similar than different.

Don't even try to compare Tyler to Lewisville based on population. Lewisville is a suburb, Tyler is a city. True, Denton is in the D/FW Metro, but its just way out there for most people to commute to Dallas daily & functions more like its own city than a suburb of a much larger city. Yes, I realize there is a new commuter train in Denton County, but few people utilize it yet.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-20-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,380,898 times
You don't compare Tyler the any city in or around the Metroplex.

Tyler is pretty much a greener and less interesting version of Waco.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,982,375 times
I think Tyler is interesting.
Waco has its points of interests too.

But this is Houston Dallas smackdown so Houston is naturally the more interesting City. Closer to the beach, better parks, better zoo (sans FW) more interesting people

Old 02-20-2012, 11:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,241,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

But this is Houston Dallas smackdown so Houston is naturally the more interesting City. Closer to the beach, better parks, better zoo (sans FW) more interesting people
Recognize!

Old 02-20-2012, 01:59 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,537,537 times
Quote:

You should get out of Houston once in a while. There's nothing interesting about dirty brown beaches and flat-as-a-pancake terrain.

HTH

Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,851,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
These are meant as honest questions. If Houston is so great, why does it suffer from such a perception gap? Why does it have such a bad rap nationally? Why is it never mentioned in the same company as other, less populated metro areas, such as San Francisco, Boston, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, or Miami, especially regarding the dining and nightlife scenes?

You can spout numbers and percentages until you're blue in the face, but perception is reality.

I seriously think all you homers should start a dialogue with the Chamber of Commerce. With boosters like you organizing things, Houston couldn't help but find itself catapulted into the stratosphere of American cities.
For whatever reasons, Houston has almost always been under the radar and not noticed or mentioned by the national media unless it's something negative. Rather, I'd say perception is not reality. Once the media chooses a city to love on, whether by luck or other factors, you will mostly see positive things about that city while negatives are swept under the rug. This has a big effect on perceptions. Case in point - Austin.

I could almost guarantee that if a television serious, large scale reality show, national festival, or similar were to come to Houston and film it in a positive light highlighting the best of the city (basically marketing the city, as has happened with many other cities), perceptions would start changing on Houston rather significantly. But would reality change? No.

Until Houston gets more than just negative publicity, perceptions won't change much. The exploding population and fact that many more people are coming than going, and staying long term, is a testament that reality is much nicer than perceptions. This is also why Houston has made it on to "underrated cities" lists.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,461,653 times
Quote:

The Dallas Zoo is the best and biggest in the state NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas