Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 11:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times

Advertisements

Nick, you are the first Christian whom I have ever seen state that the Big Bang model supports the Genesis creation story. They have little in common. The methodology involved is certainly completely different.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:41 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
I'm not surprised. 99% of Christians avoid science out of fear of losing their faith. They shouldn't! Modern science is coming around to what has always been recorded in the Bible: "In the beginning, God created the heaven and earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep." The most important line in the entire Bible. The first line. So is it the same for the beginning of this universe according to the Big Bang model: the earth had an absolute beginning that was not eternal. What makes the Big Bang so startling is that it represents the origin of the universe from literally nothing. For all matter and energy, even physical space and time themselves, came into being at the Big Bang. Of course, alternative theories have been crafted over the years to try to avoid this absolute beginning, but none of these theories has commended itself to the scientific community as more plausible than the Big Bang theory. I'll leave out the rest of the data, but in 2003 an experiment [Vilenkin] was done to prove that the universe can not be eternal.

Moreover, I would argue, it must also be personal. For how else could a timeless cause give rise to a temporal effect like the universe?

Fun stuff! It's just the tip of the iceberg, though. Then when one studies the actual historicity of Jesus, fine-tuning of life [probability cause], objective morality, etc it gets even better.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:00 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Okay, now we are completely into the religious discussion (and that is another forum ).

Old 01-30-2009, 07:16 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Roger, agreed. Sorry!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 AM

56 posts, read 293,939 times
So... I think there is a general consensus: Yes, atheists are welcome in Texas.

With a few minor qualifications, which I would say goes for just about anywhere where a view would represent a relative minority.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Trainwreck20: You are quite right. My apologies.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,770 times
It's a challenge, for sure... I don't know when your original post was made, so this may be way too late of a response...

I'm an out-of-the-closet atheist... I have no qualms whatsoever about speaking my mind which, down here, can get me in a lot of unwanted arguments...

Yes, people here often ask what church you go to and when you tell them "I don't", they still make the assumption that you're a christian who just hasn't found a church you like... I can't tell you how many people have looked at me in complete and utter shock when I told them I was a nonbeliever... As if they'd never heard of that before in their lives...

Yes, a lot of social activities in the Houston area revolve around churches... For me it's not so bad since I'm 34 years old, but if you're considering retirement, chances are you're a little older than I am... There are atheists to be found, of course, as well as agnostics and deists, but not many... There are some groups that meet up occasionally, but I can't bring myself to go to a meeting... Seems too organized for my tastes...

I firmly believe that a nonbeliever can be happy anywhere they want to go... You can always find something do to and someone to do it with even if you don't see eye-to-eye... Not all the Christians down here are zealots (although a lot are...)... But, there IS religious diversity in Houston... I have friends here who are moderate Christians, Jews, Atheists, Agnostics, Deists, and even Buddhists... Evangelical Christians and conservative Muslims tend to stay within their own groups, though...

Don't know if that's helpful or not...

Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 PM

39 posts, read 93,979 times
I would have to say it depends on where you are. I imagine the bigger cities you would be better off.

I am an open atheist (not flamboyant but I do not hide it either) and I live in rural southeast texas and have had nothing but a hard time (including having my children humiliated, badgered, and shunned because of it). So I would suggest staying far away from small towns for sure.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:17 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,927 times
You should be able to live wherever you want, regardless of your belief or lack of beliefs. You don't need anyone's permission for anything.

I'm an atheist living in Texas (born here) and I manage to do just fine. I don't go around wearing it on my sleeve, but if specifically asked about my beliefs, I have no trouble telling anybody what they are.

If some annoying bible thumper ever tried to harass me, they'd better be prepared to turn the other cheek.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
I'm not going to read through this entire thread, but has anyone mentioned that under the constitution of the Republic of Texas, ministers of religion were prohibited from holding public office? I've always thought that a rather good provision -- bet it would surprise a lot of Texans these days though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas