Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
Let me help you out. In Houston, the city is supported by several large urban districts...Downtown Houston, Uptown Houston/Galleria, Energy Corridor, Greenway Plaza, The Museum District, Midtown, Montrose, Upper Kirby, The Texas Medical Center, etc...all very urban with their own towering skylines, sprawled out over the city and connected by a maze of huge expressways akin to LA, another dynamic cosmopolitan city. It's only exxageration if you don't like the facts, I'm simply stating facts...that you don't like. Fair enough. Next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
I think it's safe to say that both Dallas and Houston are largely suburban auto centric cities with just a handful of walkable neighborhoods. Anyone who says one city is more so than the other is just a homer.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:37 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,543 times
Energy corridor and Uptown are not urban...energy corridor is just that-a corridor with several high rises. Uptown has a large mall and many high rises, but it's not urban. Cosmo? Yes. Urban? No.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:15 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Thanks, and the last sentence speaks to cosmopolitan Houston...why would a Dallas booster celebrate that?
Well freeways are not unique to ANY city and they hardly contribute to a city's cosmopolitan factor.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:18 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Let me help you out. In Houston, the city is supported by several large urban districts...Downtown Houston, Uptown Houston/Galleria, Energy Corridor, Greenway Plaza, The Museum District, Midtown, Montrose, Upper Kirby, The Texas Medical Center, etc...all very urban with their own towering skylines, sprawled out over the city and connected by a maze of huge expressways akin to LA, another dynamic cosmopolitan city. It's only exxageration if you don't like the facts, I'm simply stating facts...that you don't like. Fair enough. Next!
Let me help you out. Uptown, Energy Corridor, Greenway Plaza, The Museum District (parts of it), and Upper Kirby are not urban at all. Cars and narrow sidwalks with little pedestrians dominate all of these neighborhoods. Montrose isn't even a truly urban landscape anymore. It too is dominated by businesses with large setbacks and parking lots in the front.
These are the facts.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:36 PM
TXT

165 posts, read 238,495 times
Default Houston Is A Dynamic Cosmopolitan City

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Let me help you out. Uptown, Energy Corridor, Greenway Plaza, The Museum District (parts of it), and Upper Kirby are not urban at all. Cars and narrow sidwalks with little pedestrians dominate all of these neighborhoods. Montrose isn't even a truly urban landscape anymore. It too is dominated by businesses with large setbacks and parking lots in the front.
These are the facts.
I don't need your help, the Ivy League taught me well. I've stated the facts...you can argue with me but you can't argue with them. What you've stated is merely your opinion, and everybody has one of those.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:43 PM

146 posts, read 352,935 times

Midtown's street project has been awarded the first GreenRoads certification in the state and Mayor Parker has announced a new program to apply Midtown's principles citywide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Growth America
Houston Announces Plans to Adopt City-wide Complete Streets Policy

The city of Houston, TX, cast its vote for safer, more vibrant streets yesterday when Mayor Annise Parker announced her intention to sign an executive order creating a city-wide Complete Streets policy.

The mayor’s Complete Streets and Transportation Plan will make Houston’s streets safer, more accessible and more convenient for motorists, public transit riders, pedestrians, people of all abilities and bicyclists. The new policy, detailed in a draft executive order from the mayor, will be implemented over time as improvements to existing roadways and redevelopment occur.

“Houston is a city that embraces its diversity,” the mayor said in a statement. “This Complete Streets policy applies the same approach to our mobility system by meeting the diverse needs of all Houstonians while also creating more accessible and attractive connections to residential areas, parks, businesses, restaurants, schools and employment centers.”

Houston, TX, announces plans to adopt city-wide Complete Streets policy | Smart Growth America

Last edited by Urbannnizer; 10-13-2013 at 04:52 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 02:35 PM

437 posts, read 629,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Maybe i'm missing the point you're trying to relay but Sugarland, Pasadena, Katy, Spring, The Woodlands are their own boundaries. They are not even Houston. They are Houston metro. However Irving, Plano, Richardson, Carrolton are not Dallas either, they're Dallas Metro, but when you start going further west like in Arlington and DFW airport, then its DFW comblined metro.

Houston feels more urban to me because in Houston, you get the best of both worlds. It has the ethnic diverse population, 2 stadiums downtown, Relaint Park, Uptown, Medical Center, Greenway Plaza all inside the loop, and Uptown right at the edge. I'm going to repeat what i said in the other thread. You see just as many urban clusters inside of loop 610 as you see in the entire DFW metroplex. Everything is connected to Houston as one network instead of everything being spread out further between two major cities, thus serving as two networks. (I'm guessing that's what WillysB was trying to say).

Also downtown Houston is more urban than downtown Dallas. Houston has its own little version of the nightlife that Dallas's Greenville Ave has INSIDE downtown on Main Street. It also has its version of Victory Park INSIDE downtown on the development happening on the eastside of downtown Houston. It also has midtown which is equivalent to Dallas's uptown (although Dallas's uptown is slightly ahead).

One thing that Dallas has up on Houston is its mass transit system. As of right now (2009), Dallas's murders Houston's. But withnin the next 5 years, we'll start to see Houston's catch up to Dallas's.
Is that so?

Old 02-08-2014, 03:38 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Haha that's ****ed up.. Just because we have incompetent politicians like Culberson who have prevented 2 of the most popular light rail routes from happening (uptown and university lines) by blocking federal funding to the segments in his district, stopping over half of Houston's rail expansion plans since the original lines inception. It's a miracle Houston is even tripling its rail network with all the incumbent anti rail politicians in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas