Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 06:57 AM

18 posts, read 25,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston are more similar than they are different. Even though I live in Houston, I go to Dallas frequently and to me, both cities are the same in terms of job market, media, traffic, crime, shopping, nightlife, food, etc. Both cities are spread out so you better have a car to make it in both places.
I would largely agree with this sentiment. However I think it's important to note that we are talking about absolutely massive metro areas. Geographically, 2 of the biggest in the country. I grew up in Ft. Worth on the west side. I went to Dallas maybe once or twice a year. They are truly independent except for sports teams and the airport.

It's a completely different lifestyle living in Frisco now than living in East Dallas. You are going to have a entirely different list of pros/cons.

I know it is overwhelming to try and understand what each area of each metro offers, but you almost have to do it because the different parts of Houston and D/FW are more different from one another than the metros in aggregate are different from one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 07:16 AM

525 posts, read 719,856 times
Both metro areas are sprawling with no end in sight.

Houston is more international and blue collar. Diversity is greater there.

Dallas is more trendy and materialistic. It is also more white collar. Fort Worth is still different from Dallas. Fort Worth is more laid back and the city feels very western. DFW in general is more zoned than Houston. The roads are also better in DFW IMO.

It really depends on your preferences.

I personally prefer DFW because you get all four seasons instead of hot and humid most of the year in Houston. My favorite city in Texas is Austin though.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:27 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston are more similar than they are different. Even though I live in Houston, I go to Dallas frequently and to me, both cities are the same in terms of job market, media, traffic, crime, shopping, nightlife, food, etc. Both cities are spread out so you better have a car to make it in both places.
Lived in both and I definitely agree with this sentiment. I think objectively we can say the food is better in Houston and the shopping is better in Dallas. Other than that they are almost identical in offerings.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:25 PM

515 posts, read 558,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Both metro areas are sprawling with no end in sight.

Houston is more international and blue collar. Diversity is greater there.

Dallas is more trendy and materialistic. It is also more white collar. Fort Worth is still different from Dallas. Fort Worth is more laid back and the city feels very western. DFW in general is more zoned than Houston. The roads are also better in DFW IMO.

It really depends on your preferences.

I personally prefer DFW because you get all four seasons instead of hot and humid most of the year in Houston. My favorite city in Texas is Austin though.
How would you know? Have you lived in both cities?
After working in Dallas for 3 years, I can say that the stereotypes cannot be further from the truth. Nearly everyone I've befriended or worked with has been non-materialisic, hard working, generous, very outdoorsy and laid back. Honestly, I think people need to update their stereotype playbooks.... The 1990s are long gone now.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:48 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,003 times
Two largest areas in Texas, full of amenities, schools, people.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:51 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
How would you know? Have you lived in both cities?
After working in Dallas for 3 years, I can say that the stereotypes cannot be further from the truth. Nearly everyone I've befriended or worked with has been non-materialisic, hard working, generous, very outdoorsy and laid back. Honestly, I think people need to update their stereotype playbooks.... The 1990s are long gone now.
Yes, yes, and YES!

Old 01-23-2018, 02:05 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,053,003 times
This OP is 9 years old. Why bump this?

Old 01-23-2018, 03:26 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,304,188 times
The offerings in Houston and DFW are "identical" simply because the lifestyles in both areas don't make use of their settings. All thanks to autocentric sprawl.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:22 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Oh boy not again...

Please use the City-Data search feature you will find oodles & oodles of related threads.

As Metro-Matt, long off CD, said, 9 years ago, when this was "brought back up" - I guess the newbees have to "go thru" the same responses, as we oldbees did/have. lol

Old 01-23-2018, 11:14 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas1836 View Post
houston all the way. diversity..great museums..better weather..
Too bad most of the good museums are on the Fort Worth side. The Kimbell is a great museum, but not MFAH level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas