Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKACarmen View Post
I was born, raised, and attended undergrad College in SoCal. I currently live in NY, I've been here for five years. I agree, pple from BIG cities to find it hard to adjust, we miss the hustle and bustle of congested traffic, late hours of conveneint stores, etc. But when time comes, you face challenges, or you can run...
I don't know, after reading your posts I get the feeling you won't like it down there. I could be wrong though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 12,889 times
I like living in the valley. I got my bachelors in accounting at Texas A&M, and currently working on my MBA here in Brownsville, and I have a great job as an accountant and manager for a couple of businesses, and I run my own business as well. I would have gone to another college - maybe in Austin, or San Antonio to get my MBA, but i figured that it would be better to stay in Brownsville and network with other business professionals in the MBA program and around the valley.

Sometimes I wish I can live in Matamoros, or at least travel often like I used to but unfortunately i can't risk it anymore, i only go to Matamoros when I need to visit the doctor, or special invitations. And I eat lunch at least once a week over there at Las Tablitas which is near the bridge, I just call up a friend to pick me up at the bridge and we go have lunch either there, or other good restaurants around Matamoros.

There are the pros and cons of living here in the valley, but I guess your experience in the valley all depends on you.

I'm going to Las Vegas on business next week (and ofcourse to have fun), so wish me luck please! Gotta bring in some good income

Old 03-14-2009, 03:27 PM

627 posts, read 1,622,268 times
First, I would like to answer your question below:

Quote:
I did see HEB, tha is one of the places they pointed out; what does it stands for? Persons name? Owner name????
Yes, you're right, it's the owner's name. His name is Harry E. Butt. I am serious.

Second, I am an educated, in my 20s, and from out of Texas as well and I am new to this area. In other words, I can answer some of your questions, relate to what you're going through, and address some of your concerns. Just PM me.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Btx

22 posts, read 105,344 times
Wow! I read some of the comments on this thread and gotta say that many people who responded were very negative and appeared to be "experts" about our area. And those who did visit our area already had negative thoughts before arriving so, of course, they were not going to like it.

I've lived in Brownsville for 35 yrs and have always loved this area for its climate, people, culture, prox to Mexico, and SPI. I have never worried about drug cartels (they are all over the US people, not just border), illegals (hello?! all over the US as well and more so up north than here due to better jobs), etc. I would be more worried about living in say, Houston or Dallas cuz these are larger cities with more dangers and murders than the RGV, but that's what I think because of what the media portrays a city. Iin reality, chances of something happening are nil. If something does happen, say mugged, murdered, or something bad, chances are you got yourself into this mess to begin with.

I've never been mugged or assualted or otherwise. Yes, these things do happen but no more than any other city in the world. Wake up people and stop putting a negative spin on our area. If you really want to know about a place before moving, then come on down and see and exprerience it for yourself. Don't like it, then that's your opinion. If you like it, stay...

That goes for any city or town.

Here's a link to the RGV forum. Here we can answer any questions relating to our area. You get to hear it from those who live or lived here in the RGV.

The Rio Grande Valley :: Index

El Fin...The End

Old 03-15-2009, 09:37 AM

627 posts, read 1,622,268 times
Btx is right. The Rio Grande Valley area might not be upscale or some might even consider this place poor, but, overall, it's not ghetto or dangerous. I have yet to feel unsafe anywhere in Brownsville/Harlingen/McAllen.

As matter of fact, some McAllen areas have some quite nice suburbs.

One thing needs to be considered is the fact that the original poster is from Southern California and New York City. This is huge change in environment. She might be very bored here in the Valley since there is really not much to do for singles.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 AM

43 posts, read 114,831 times
Cool Bakersfield, not that bad, but...

I know it's been a while since my last post with the FORUM. You guys have been GREAAT, SUPPORTIVE and FANTASTIC. The information I received was EXTREMELY helpful. Both positive and negative information is needed when people rely on cyberspace for support.

So to recap my move from, I'm approaching my seven (7th) month of living/moving to Bakersfield. I moved to BKFD, b/c of a job offer that I received. I arrived in BKFD sight, unseen; that I will never do again, but I'm thankful to this FORUM, b/c a poster was nice enough to pust current, unphotoshop pictures of a few apartments, which had some influence on my decision. I ended up moving off of Gosford and Coffee; I have yet to visit or see the East. I've ventured out to Rosedale HWY, The Village Mall (not current, and only visit during the day time), parking is atrocious at the mall.

People - are very helpful and friendly, I've only encountered bad service a couple of times, and I washed it up as someone's having a bad day; we all do.

Schools - I honestly don't know much about the education system; I do know teachers are looking for jobs left and right.

Medical- I'm 50/50 w/the many Dental Group; it's convenient when u only have to go 2 a one stop shop; the downfall is that a specific dentist may only be in that office one day a week; b/c s/he comes from the LA area. Weird, but I get the conveneince of a Dental Group. I haven't had to use the hospital or a medical dr yet.

Church - Enjoy the Catholic Church I attend, I just wished there were more of them; granted they offer numerous masses, so there's no reason not to attend church when service is offered twice a week.

Grocery Shopping - Love TRADER Joe's. Not a fan of Albertson's, Von (over priced) and Food Maxx or FoodCo.

Shopping - I've gone to Taulare Outlet Mall (about 45 minutes from BKFD) to shop. They have many OVERPRICED boutiques (Lo Lo's, Christine, etc.); they sell the same merchandise you can get from TJ Maxx and Marshalls for about 90% less.

Air - I haven't experienced the bad air yet, but the heat is manageable; I enjoy riding my bike (that I purchased in BKFD). BKFD does have a rodent (skunk) problem; in the morning all u do is smell the musk of those little stinkers...yuck!

Restaurants-There are some good choices, Frugatti's, Luigi's, Chuy's, Jamba Juice (my fave, I should be a stock holder)

Housing - I settled for a 1 BR, it's market value was $900, I was able to get it for $700. For 900, you can rent a house. Apts. are negotiable, I wish I knew that b/4 signing.

Overall my assesment, BKFD is not that bad, would I make the same move - no I would not; BKFD is a city for people who want to retire, raise a family, enjoy life at a snail pace...

If you have any questions, I be willing to answer..

Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM

30 posts, read 98,049 times
I have lived in McAllen since 1969, when I was in 8th grade. I moved to Austin, then Denver for 9 years, and returned in '03.
If you like seasonal changes, you will have none here. Last summer, McAllen had 72 days of 100 degrees and above. We had a freeze last year, at least enough to kill some of the more sensitive tropical vegetation. Winters are very mild; sure we have fronts move through that are windy, cold, and rainy. It does snow every 10 years or so. Hard freezes (below 32 degrees for several hours) can happen, but they are rare.
The mosquitos are alive and well probably for 10 months out of the year. Cockroaches seem to thrive nicely down here. They grow very large, and some can even fly.
Yes, the drug cartels are across the river, and Brownsville has 3? bridges across the Rio Grande?
Rancho Viejo is very nice, and not too terrible a drive into Brownsville.
Perhaps live at SPI instead of Bville. That's not too far of a drive either.
My point is, even with some of the negative things, I still live here...mostly because the cost of living is cheaper.
Yes, I do miss the seasonal changes in Denver; I don't miss the 5 below zero weather though in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas