Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 05:29 PM

437 posts, read 925,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
I stand by my point that I made earlier. Since TX is in the middle of the country you could say west Texas is the southwest and east TX is the south or the southeast. The landscape in west TX is a lot different than the landscape in east TX. The cultures are different too.
I agree. Each region of Texas has its own influences and culture. I would also argue that a native Texan can usually guess which region of the state another native Texan is from, because each have their own unique accents and lingo.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
I agree. Each region of Texas has its own influences and culture. I would also argue that a native Texan can usually guess which region of the state another native Texan is from, because each have their own unique accents and lingo.
Yeah when I used to live in Lubbock I definitely got a different feel than what I get in Houston. Houston and Lubbock feel like they're worlds apart even though they're in the same state. That shows you how big Texas is. I felt like Lubbock was the west since it was on the high plains, wide open spaces. Half of the people there were born and raised in NM. NM was right next to Lubbock. In Houston a lot of the people are from Louisiana since Louisiana is pretty close to here. Here it doesn't feel western but southern. I liked the weather a lot better in Lubbock. The humidity was low, you rarely had mosquitoes, it didn't get real hot in the summer like it does here and it snows in the winter. I enjoy getting some winter weather. Lubbock had more of the 4 seasons than Houston has. Texas is a huge state. I went to New England in October. New England is 6 states (VT, NH, ME, CT, RI and MA). Texas is twice the size of the whole New England. Texas is the size of 12 New England states. The size of Texas alone is a huge part of why Texans are so proud of their state.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:09 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
This same area is what the U.S. Census Bureau classifies as the south.
If that defines the south, then why is Missouri considered the south? It found for the Confederacy and it's culture is very much a southern (the lower half, at least). Geographically is irrelevant (note that Maryland and Delaware are also very northern, but finds itself south of the Mason/Dixon line). Geographically, Texas is south central. Culturally- diverse and not overwhelmingly in any camp.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,982,359 times
Funny, I always think of Missouri as Midwestern, except for the little southern bit of the state below Cape Girardeau, mostly encompassing the Mark Twain State Forest and a very few little towns. Yet, historically wasn't St Louis where the West was said to begin? This is one of the things that to me gives Fort Worth something in common with Midwestern places like Kansas City, with their big stockyards, packing houses (defunct in Fort Worth now for many years, however), feed lots and cattle auctions.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
If that defines the south, then why is Missouri considered the south? It found for the Confederacy and it's culture is very much a southern (the lower half, at least). Geographically is irrelevant (note that Maryland and Delaware are also very northern, but finds itself south of the Mason/Dixon line). Geographically, Texas is south central. Culturally- diverse and not overwhelmingly in any camp.
Actually, Missouri remained in the Union. Being a border state, there were strong Southern sympathies and many fought for the South. But even more for the North. Just as a passing note of historical trivia, although there were officially only 11 states in the CSA, there are 13 stars in the final versions of the Confederate Flag (both battle and national). Reason being that even though secession failed in Missouri and Kentucky, there was enough support that "rump governments" were established by Southern sympathizers and they were "admitted" into the Confederacy. In fact, at one time, the "Missouri Confederate government" had its "headquarters" in Marshall, Texas! LOL

Old 08-04-2009, 09:58 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Actually, Missouri remained in the Union. Being a border state, there were strong Southern sympathies and many fought for the South. But even more for the North. Just as a passing note of historical trivia, although there were officially only 11 states in the CSA, there are 13 stars in the final versions of the Confederate Flag (both battle and national). Reason being that even though secession failed in Missouri and Kentucky, there was enough support that "rump governments" were established by Southern sympathizers and they were "admitted" into the Confederacy. In fact, at one time, the "Missouri Confederate government" had its "headquarters" in Marshall, Texas! LOL
Cool piece of American History! Thanks for the heads up!

Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 PM

Yeah Missouri is considered a midwestern state but some of the people in MO have big southern accents. Once I was staying in Springfield, MO and a guy I was talking to had a lot bigger southern accent than your typical Texan. So the state is classified as midwestern but I would say it has a good amount of southern culture.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 PM

Here's a good link: Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take a look at the maps on the right side of the page.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Wait. Wikipedia as a primary resource? The resource that anybody, with any bias, and any or no qualifications from true expert to Someone With A Strong Opinion, can add things to/modify? Granted, there is a good bibliography at the bottom to get started with, but I'm willing to bet that there's some significant resources left out of that list, long as it is.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Wait. Wikipedia as a primary resource? The resource that anybody, with any bias, and any or no qualifications from true expert to Someone With A Strong Opinion, can add things to/modify? Granted, there is a good bibliography at the bottom to get started with, but I'm willing to bet that there's some significant resources left out of that list, long as it is.
Wikipedia is usually a very good resource. Yeah anybody can update it but if you post crap or untrue stuff on there that can be taken down. I've used Wikipedia many times to look up all sorts of stuff and it is usually very good information. I think the bias would be against Wikipedia. There are probably people biased against Wikipedia but it's a very good site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas