Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:08 AM

26 posts, read 82,505 times

Advertisements

I know my desires are strange but Texas is huge. I refuse to believe there is not a single neighborhood in the entire state which would suit me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 08:09 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,517,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoExpat View Post
Everyone says I'll hate Texas, but I feel in love with San Antonio when I was there. My only dislike was that it was auto-centric. Is this the case with all Texan cities?

To refine my grass comment. It's beautiful in parks and such, but I'm no gardener. I would prefer not to own a lawnmower.
Then go to San Antonio. I wish more people coming down would chose that city.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:11 AM

I should also refine my comment on mass transit. I'm not a fan of buses at all. I specifically intended rail transit, either light rail or commuter. Something that would connect my future neighborhood to major employment centers. Although I realize that this may be a stretch given the responses so far.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I know my desires are strange but Texas is huge. I refuse to believe there is not a single neighborhood in the entire state which would suit me.

There might be a "few blocks" but there aren't full URBAN neighborhoods. And even the only URBAN neighborhood we have (downtown) is dead at 11pm outside of a few clubs.

I would say the closest thing to your list is Midtown. But it's not all the big or urban. But it does have the only rail that goes to the Med Center.

Where is your employment or what field are you in?

Old 05-31-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Then go to San Antonio. I wish more people coming down would chose that city.
It's #1 on my list.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:34 AM

384 posts, read 1,582,759 times
Quote:
Something that would connect my future neighborhood to major employment centers. Although I realize that this may be a stretch given the responses so far.
You're not going to find the "transit" culture you're looking for in Texas, but what about walking and biking ?
Downtown Austin is a very good option for that. Everything one needs to live well is right there.

I'd also take a look at the just-opened expansion of the San Antonio Riverwalk. The "urban amenities" aren't as well-developed as central Austin, but you might be able to find a better deal.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:46 AM

A lot of people are probably scratching their heads given what I described is not found in Texas. So let me describe what I like about this state verses other states.

Low taxes
Excellent weather
Very low probability of natural disasters
Booming economy (in a previous career I worked with pipe lines)
I enjoying the night life, but there is something to be said about the ability to retire in your own home and be able to flip to more laid-back at your leisure. Chicago & New York always seemed busy no matter what.
There are incredible deals on Real Estate, in general everything is more affordable which means my hard earned dollars last longer.
I found people to be genuine and friendlier than other parts of the country
Great food! I've had some excellent meals when visiting.
Maybe the above means nothing, but I just feel as if I belong here. I personally not a fan of pick up trucks or dirt roads which will always make me an outsider, but Texas is a huge state for anyone that wants to make an honest living. I'm just trying to find that one neighborhood which suits my love for walking while leaving the car at home.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times
Texas is like most states ;most a very mobile citizenship that does not really encourage much mass transit. I also would recommend NYC or chicago. Texas cities are really spread out with most housing away from the businesss district which varies widely from area to area. They were never invented like other cities that had ethnic areas that were separate and self contain etiher.If you can afford it San faransico might also be good for you.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
You're not going to find the "transit" culture you're looking for in Texas, but what about walking and biking ?
I thought walking was implied. There is no need to take transit if everything you need is within walking distance.

Quote:
I'd also take a look at the just-opened expansion of the San Antonio Riverwalk.
The Riverwalk was great! That's what I'm looking for. Is Austin the only other city with something similar?

Old 05-31-2009, 08:52 AM

Somethings you may not really, fully understand.

Quote:
A lot of people are probably scratching their heads given what I described is not found in Texas. So let me describe what I like about this state verses other states.

Low taxes (Property taxes are high)
Excellent weather (not June-September)
Very low probability of natural disasters (Hello? Hurricanes and tornados?)
Booming economy (in a previous career I worked with pipe lines) (O&G is downsizing)
I enjoying the night life, but there is something to be said about the ability to retire in your own home and be able to flip to more laid-back at your leisure. Chicago & New York always seemed busy no matter what.
There are incredible deals on Real Estate (in the burbs), in general everything is more affordable which means my hard earned dollars last longer.
I found people to be genuine and friendlier than other parts of the country
Great food! I've had some excellent meals when visiting.
Maybe the above means nothing, but I just feel as if I belong here. I personally not a fan of pick up trucks or dirt roads which will always make me an outsider, but Texas is a huge state for anyone that wants to make an honest living. I'm just trying to find that one neighborhood which suits my love for walking while leaving the car at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas