Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrillion View Post
and Dallas is no way near as bad as any of those cities
Have you ever BEEN to Dallas? All parts of it? I have, used to live right outside of Dallas in fact. There are some pretty nasty areas, just as bad as Detroit, Flint, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 03:53 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Unless they take neighborhood population density into account those studies are seriously flawed. No Southern city can match the population density of Northern cities.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:50 PM

100 posts, read 446,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Have you ever BEEN to Dallas? All parts of it? I have, used to live right outside of Dallas in fact. There are some pretty nasty areas, just as bad as Detroit, Flint, etc....

Key word, AREAS but Dallas as a whole isn't as bad as Detroit and Flint where the entire city is in turmoil. If you can find the crime maps (the most recent ones I had looked at were 2007), they highlight the intensity of crime in areas with the color blue. The lighter the blue the safer the area, the darker the most violent.

The safer areas are almost a white color and rank 0-1 (sometimes 2) in crime and are usually the areas where people with money live and crime is usually petty and scarce.

Dangerous areas are almost a black type of blue color and rank 9-10 on the crime scale and these have hardcore crimes from assaults, robberies and homicides. I remember looking up Dallas which had it's small batch of 9 and 10 ranked areas but when looking at Flint, Detroit and New Orleans it was ridiculous. 60-70% of the city was within a 8-10 rating in crime and a lot of it was scattered. You'd have a low crime area surrounded on almost all sides by hardcore areas. It was a very interesting study to say the least.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:06 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,922 times
Bydand nailed it. No, of course Dallas as a whole isn't on par with some of the most dangerous cities (e.g., Camden, NJ). But, trust me. Get off of the beaten tourist path (and sometimes you can stay on it - West End light rail station anyone?) and Dallas has some really, really, really rough areas! Don't stray too far into the neighborhoods surrounding the State Fair, for example. You might not make it out alive. The bad areas of Dallas that I've had the misfortune of dipping my toe into make Houston's tough wards (5th, e.g.) look like Disneyworld.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Bydand nailed it. No, of course Dallas as a whole isn't on par with some of the most dangerous cities (e.g., Camden, NJ). But, trust me. Get off of the beaten tourist path (and sometimes you can stay on it - West End light rail station anyone?) and Dallas has some really, really, really rough areas! Don't stray too far into the neighborhoods surrounding the State Fair, for example. You might not make it out alive. The bad areas of Dallas that I've had the misfortune of dipping my toe into make Houston's tough wards (5th, e.g.) look like Disneyworld.
BS. Bydand did not "nail it" and neither is your opinion accurate either. I guess then I've "made it out alive" more times than I can count as I am not afraid to get "off the beaten path" and have numerous times.

Talk about some prejuidice people. Just because someone has a different skin color, lower education and lower income does not make them dangerous. Geez.

Whatever. Believe what you want but it is far from accurate. I actually live here.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
BS. Bydand did not "nail it" and neither is your opinion accurate either. I guess then I've "made it out alive" more times than I can count as I am not afraid to get "off the beaten path" and have numerous times.

Talk about some prejuidice people. Just because someone has a different skin color, lower education and lower income does not make them dangerous. Geez.

Whatever. Believe what you want but it is far from accurate. I actually live here.
Just my personal experience having lived in Dallas for a few years...

Old 10-13-2010, 11:20 AM

216 posts, read 444,501 times
The area around Fair Park is certainly one of the most dangerous in the city, but the whole "lucky to make it out alive" thing is ridiculous hyperbole. I drive through that neighborhood all the time on my way to concerts in Fair Park and as recently as two weeks ago for the State Fair. I've never once felt like I was in danger. And yes, I go through the neighborhoods. I'm near Mesquite so I'll often take Scyene or Military Parkway all the way to the State Fair to avoid freeway traffic. It just doesn't seem as terrible as you make it out to be.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Just my personal experience having lived in Dallas for a few years...
Well, MY personal experience from having lived here for 45 years , is far from your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
The area around Fair Park is certainly one of the most dangerous in the city, but the whole "lucky to make it out alive" thing is ridiculous hyperbole. I drive through that neighborhood all the time on my way to concerts in Fair Park and as recently as two weeks ago for the State Fair. I've never once felt like I was in danger. And yes, I go through the neighborhoods. I'm near Mesquite so I'll often take Scyene or Military Parkway all the way to the State Fair to avoid freeway traffic. It just doesn't seem as terrible as you make it out to be.
Same here. I was at the fair last week and I have NO problems going there alone, just me and the kids, or whatever. If it was in THAT bad of an area then the fair would have closed down many years ago and schools would have stopped taking kids to the museums there on field trips.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:05 PM

100 posts, read 446,507 times
Quote:

Exaggeration sir is not a flattering color on you. Houston's 5th Ward and Acres Homes rival Dallas' rough parts. What makes the difference in studies like this (at least an accurate one) is frequency of those crimes and on the level of brutality. Look up Detroit's Brewster Projects in person some time.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
That link does not lead to the article and a search on that site for the article produced no results.

Also that website allows anyone to post any story they want and present it as news when in fact it could be totally bogus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas