Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,122 times

Advertisements

I was born in Austin lived there till I was 5 then we moved to Alice lived there till I was 10 and then moved to Corpus where I am today trying to get out. I would love to go back to Austin but don't have the money. If I can't make it back to Austin then I would like to move to a small town with a city bus. If anyone knows of a small town in Texas that has a city bus let me know please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:57 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
I was born in Idaho. Moved to Houston when I was about 2 years old and lived there till I was 10. Then we moved to Garland, TX and lived there for a year. We moved to Arlington after that and lived in Arlington for another 3 years. I was 14 when we moved to Austin and lived there the longest for 12.5 years. Now I'm in San Francisco. I've come a long way considering that in between I also lived in Las Cruces, NM and for a time before moving to Houston I was in Kansas City, MO but I have no recollection of that since I was still in diapers.

It may seem though that I have not much experience with Houston since I was 10 the last time I moved from there. But I have siblings that live there now married with children. I visit still quite often. DFW area is a place I haven't been to since 2003. San Antonio on the other hand is a city I don't think I'd ever move to but I've been there so many times and I love visiting a lot.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:32 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,694 times
Pecos, Crane, Fort Stockton, Lubbock, Shallowater, Muleshoe, Canyon/Amarillo.

As you can see, no big city in my 46 yrs.... Kinda like it that way

Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,501 times
Vidor - Oh, an unfortunate choice. It was brief. And I'll never forget a particular sight I witnessed.

Bullard - The family hometown, going back 5 generations.

Austin - In the 80's, early 90's, when it was still Austin and before concrete.

Smithville - Charming town, but left seeking adventure.

Weatherford - Love my place, but have to go through Weatherford to get home.

Beyond Texas......I've lived in Louisiana, Arkansas, Minnesota, Colorado and Alaska.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:55 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Dallas, born there and lived there until I was in 10th grade
Duncanville, until I was 24
Midland 12 years
Sugarland 3 years
back to Midland, 5 more years
Houston 3 years
Now I'm in Oklahoma, in what I've heard referred to as the most Texas like town in the state

Old 07-28-2011, 12:31 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times
San Antonio - 28 years
Ingleside - 6 years
Flour Bluff - 1 year
Corpus Christi - 1 year
Ingleside - 6 more years
San Antonio - 3 more years
Pecos - 8 years
Houston - 2 years

Then on to Virginia...

Old 07-29-2011, 02:30 PM

491 posts, read 886,426 times
Houston: Though I wasn't born there (I was born in Palo Alto, CA by default. My dad was going to school at Stanford), That's where I grew up, inside the loop (West U, Montrose). I loved the inner-loop but hated the suburbs. My time in Houston was from the early 70's to the mid-80's, and it was very different then compared to today. I still return there to visit often since that's where most of my family still lives. I have a love/hate relationship with Houston. There are many things I love about the city, but I could never live there (or anywhere in TX really) again for one simple reason: the weather. I can't stand heat and humidity. That's why I now live in the Northwest.

Austin: Lived there 3 different times. Once as a child while my dad was going to law school at UT, next in the mid-90's while I was doing the musician thing full time, lastly for one year (late '02 to late '03). I absolutely loved Austin in the mid-90's. It was already starting to become the overhyped "it town" that it is today, but it still had it's old charms. Austin is another town I have a love/hate relationship with. The last time I lived there in 2003 was a miserable experience. I really didn't like what Austin had become.

Dallas: Lived there for about a year and a half in the late 80's. At the time I really didn't care for it too much. For a city it's size there really didn't seem to be much to do, and it seemed very conservative to me in those days. From what I've heard it's really come a long way since then. I would probably enjoy it a lot more now, but like almost every other city in TX... it's just too hot and humid for me.

San Antonio: I didn't exactly live there, but my dad has lived there since 1979 so I have spent enough time there to get a really good feel for the city. I've always kind of viewed SA as the underdog city in TX. It gets a lot of flak for being "boring" or whatever, and though it's not a fast-paced metropolis like Houston or DFW, or a musician/artist/slacker paradise like Austin... it has it's own unique charm and really marches to the beat of it's own drum. There are neighborhoods on the Northwest side of town that easily rival Austin for scenic hill country beauty, and the old Spanish and Mexican influence on the local culture lends a unique flavor to the city. However, I must concede that there wasn't much to do there when I was younger. I think SA is more enjoyable for people in their 30's and older.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:58 PM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Hmm, my history is boring.

Born in Fort Worth. 56 years later, still in Fort Worth. Only time I did not live in Fort Worth was college in Denton, law school in Lubbock, and a brief time (two years) in Pittsburg, Texas (private practice).

Lubbock was nice, while I was there. When I graduated I never, ever returned, save to see my sister graduate from Tech.

I recall how my sister proclaimed that "I will come back to Lubbock frequently to visit!" I laughed.

Years later, she has never been back. No real reason to go back.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
... only where it's hot ...

Old 07-30-2011, 09:49 AM

198 posts, read 499,559 times
Plano, TX.

Will be moving to Lubbock in August, but I've visited it and liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas