Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM

6,696 posts, read 9,950,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
ugh.. lets slap some LEDs on this box and call it an icon. typical Dallas. Fountain Place is one of the only decent skyscrapers in Dallas that doesnt need neon/LEDs to create an "icon".
Typical hater...smh

Houston doesn't have a ionic building that says "this is Houston"

Old 10-18-2013, 01:45 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
hater, psh hardly. Dallas is probably my 3rd favorite city in Texas.. i like what the city is doing, i just dont care for the pretentious glitz and glam. nothing wrong with that. i wasnt aware the BOA building said "this is Dallas". to me it looks like an average skyscraper. if anything its Fountain Place that says This is Dallas, just as Williams Tower, Bank of America, Pennzoil Place, or many others say "this is Houston". oh wait, i didnt think Houston had any iconic buildings...

Old 10-18-2013, 02:02 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Typical hater...smh

Houston doesn't have a ionic building that says "this is Houston"
Chase Tower (tallest 5 sided building in the World)

Wells Fargo Plaza ($ sign means one thing)

Williams "Transco" Tower (Nothing else quite like it in the US)

Bank of America (Gothic spires makes this Gotham City)

Heritage Plaza (Myan Temple inspired top)

Pennzoil Place (Houston's double version of Fountain Place)

Smith & Louisiana Towers (old Enron buildings)

Yeah...none of those skyscrapers scream HOUSTON.

Dallas has a few less iconic buildings than Houston IMO.

Bank of America Plaza (green outline)

Renaissance Tower (double X bracing & 5 spires lit up at night)

Chase (keyhole)

Reunion Tower

Fountain Place (daytime only this building gets lost at night)

That's about it.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-18-2013 at 02:17 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 02:50 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,984 times
Quote:
First of all, it saves money and gives the building an even distribution of color. Secondly, the building is able to change to many different color combinations.
It doesn't excite me that the owners/tenants will be saving money nor that the color will be more even. (It was pretty even already.) I read about the changing colors but it said they'd probably only do it for holidays so not much excitement there. If they made it a different color each night, that would be pretty cool, just something to keep it fresh.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
It doesn't excite me that the owners/tenants will be saving money nor that the color will be more even. (It was pretty even already.) I read about the changing colors but it said they'd probably only do it for holidays so not much excitement there. If they made it a different color each night, that would be pretty cool, just something to keep it fresh.
The color was faded all the time in different places. If you ever looked at the building from far away, you could clearly see that some tubes were brighter than other tubes.

The Reunion Tower is yellow most of the time and it has LEDs, why would you want to mess-up a good thing?

Old 10-18-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Chase Tower (tallest 5 sided building in the World)

Wells Fargo Plaza ($ sign means one thing)

Williams "Transco" Tower (Nothing else quite like it in the US)

Bank of America (Gothic spires makes this Gotham City)

Heritage Plaza (Myan Temple inspired top)

Pennzoil Place (Houston's double version of Fountain Place)

Smith & Louisiana Towers (old Enron buildings)

Yeah...none of those skyscrapers scream HOUSTON.

Dallas has a few less iconic buildings than Houston IMO.

Bank of America Plaza (green outline)

Renaissance Tower (double X bracing & 5 spires lit up at night)

Chase (keyhole)

Reunion Tower

Fountain Place (daytime only this building gets lost at night)

That's about it.
I bet if I showed random people the skyline of Houston, a vast majority of people wouldn't recognize it.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:08 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,866 times
Quote:
I bet if I showed random people the skyline of Houston, a vast majority of people wouldn't recognize it.
and you think they reconized Dallas based on what ??

Old 10-18-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
whole skyline? maybe, depending on if your asking someone in the US or if your in interior Tibet asking a person. but one of those unique to Houston buildings that was listed, if they know anything about architecture, they would probably recognize it.

your naive if you think a vast majority of random people would recognize the Dallas skyline. its nothing note worthy in the day time, and only stands out at night due to the overuse of neon/leds. but that could be any typical third world asian city. Dallas? they probably wouldnt guess unless they are some "Dallas" TV show nerd.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
whole skyline? maybe, depending on if your asking someone in the US or if your in interior Tibet asking a person. but one of those unique to Houston buildings that was listed, if they know anything about architecture, they would probably recognize it.

your naive if you think a vast majority of random people would recognize the Dallas skyline. its nothing note worthy in the day time, and only stands out at night due to the overuse of neon/leds. but that could be any typical third world asian city. Dallas? they probably wouldnt guess unless they are some "Dallas" TV show nerd.
Heck, they'll recognize it before they see Houston's. Dallas' skyline is actually still on TV around the world, Houston's is not.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:25 PM

lol, im sure that show gets hundreds of millions of viewers around the world.. and like i said, it looks like half the third world asian city skylines with way too much lighting and an ugly random observation tower..

look, this one even has its own OMNI (in the middle), and color changing observation tower to the right, and a lit up bridge over a river.. but theirs is actually a river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas