Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 02:29 PM

137 posts, read 220,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
No it just looks like that was the easiest, quickest thing to do. Theyre not making any statements of design, just blending in some more square footage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This is the only way in Houston..
LOL exactly

Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 PM
TXT

165 posts, read 238,449 times
Default Houston Is A Dynamic Cosmopolitan City

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Y'all can't be series.

This thread along with the thread about architecture proves both of y'alls post above wrong. These threads are hilarious watching the pissing match that never seems to end with certain posters.
But it ended long ago, Houston wins, hands down. It's jealous Dallas keeping it going with sour grapes...as Houston continues to build towers throughout the city in every direction...the way it sees fit. Dallas will always be jealous of Houston, always talking about it and lamenting its building prowess.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:44 PM
TXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
A lot of Houston's designs seem that way...unoriginal and blah. Not much architectural quality.
Lol, whatever, but by design Dallas' best towers can't match Houston's.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:30 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
Lol, whatever, but by design Dallas' best towers can't match Houston's.
You're certainly titled to your opinion, but I highly disagree. Houston has always seemed more impressive right of the bat due to the overwhelming average height. However, once you spend time observing the towers not many are really that attractive. If the average building height in Houston was that of Dallas' there would be no debate as to which skyline was better.

Houston buildings I like:
Bank of America Center
BG Group Place
Gulf Building
Esperson Building
1400 Smith Street
1600 Smith Street

The rest are either not that attractive or boxes.

Last edited by BCB; 10-09-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-09-2013, 04:14 PM
TXT

Quote:
You're certainly titled to your opinion, but I highly disagree. Houston has always seemed more impressive right of the bat due to the overwhelming average height. However, once you spend time observing the towers not many are really that attractive. If the average building height in Houston was that of Dallas' there would be no debate as to which skyline was better.

Bank of America Center
BG Group Place
Gulf Building
Esperson Building
1400 Smith Street
1600 Smith Street

Yes all great, I'd add Williams Tower (the finest tower in Texas) and Chase Tower (the plain and elegant sleek stunner). And like any other city (including Dallas), it has some 'not that attractive' and boxes, too.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:15 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:

Bank of America Center
BG Group Place
Gulf Building
Esperson Building
1400 Smith Street
1600 Smith Street

except Houston has almost 200 more highrises than Dallas.. so we would still win. i agree there are a few nice looking towers in Dallas, as there are a few nice looking ones in Houston that you pointed out, but the majority of both cities buildings are nothing more than fancy boxes, because boxes are cheap and efficient.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:11 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
except Houston has almost 200 more highrises than Dallas.. so we would still win. i agree there are a few nice looking towers in Dallas, as there are a few nice looking ones in Houston that you pointed out, but the majority of both cities buildings are nothing more than fancy boxes, because boxes are cheap and efficient.

I think Dallas has better looking signature towers, but Houston has a few good ones.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:07 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I think Dallas has better looking signature towers, but Houston has a few good ones.
Totally agree. No bias here, it is what it is.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I've said this before. .....having 200 more towers is what hurts Houston in the architectural department. See dallas already has more architecturally significant towers in its downtown. And downtown Dallas is half the size of downtown Houston. So.what you get is a nice sized skyline with impressive, eye catching,jaw dropping architecture popping out everywhere.
In Houston you also have architecturally significant towers (not as many as dallas) but IT being soooo much larger(it's huge!)causes it to have 200 more beige square boxes hiding 4 or 5 gems.....you know....the "needle in the hay stack" effect.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 PM
TXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I've said this before. .....having 200 more towers is what hurts Houston in the architectural department. See dallas already has more architecturally significant towers in its downtown. And downtown Dallas is half the size of downtown Houston. So.what you get is a nice sized skyline with impressive, eye catching,jaw dropping architecture popping out everywhere.
In Houston you also have architecturally significant towers (not as many as dallas) but IT being soooo much larger(it's huge!)causes it to have 200 more beige square boxes hiding 4 or 5 gems.....you know....the "needle in the hay stack" effect.
Having 200+ more towers is part of why Dallas is so jealous of Houston, and the Williams and Chase Towers make it green with envy. Moreover, Dallas does have its share of boring boxes, in between its few 'signature' Vegas-lit gems (shouting LOOK AT ME!). They are 2 different cities with 2 different architectural styles: Houston, ultra-conservative, tall and elegant...Dallas, eye-catching neon lights, slants, slopes, logos, bells/whistles. Each cities style wouldn't work in the other city, thank God.

Last edited by TXT; 10-09-2013 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Word Usage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas