Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 07:03 PM

115 posts, read 145,371 times

Advertisements

And for the skyline discussion Houston's is better. Houston's economy is bigger by about $30 billion, we have the port of Houston, 2 international airports the biggest mall, Dallas has better transit options, more lakes, better shopping, deep elum etc, etc, etc..

Now ask yourselves, does all this fancy make this city better than next city. I say no. It's the people that make our cities what they are.. If you don't understand that then idk what to tell you.. This thread should have been over a long time ago IMO

On another note you all need to get off the internet and get out the house..Go enough your Friday night.. Like I'm about too

Good bye

Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 PM

12 posts, read 27,790 times
Dallas has the better skyline.
Even people from Houston will admit that the Dallas skyline is breath-taking.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:41 PM

297 posts, read 476,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Your point is moot. You are talking as if Houston's single downtown skyline doesn't carry its own weight. True it would be more impressive if all the skylines were combined into one, but you talk as if Dallas has accomplished this and Houston hasn't. Dallas combined Upttown District/downtown is just now catching on board with downtown Houston with still a little ways before it actually catches it.

And plus, i like the fact that Houston has multiple clusters. It makes it feel more urban and developed overall. When i'm in Dallas, it feels as though downtown is the only game in town, surrounded by nothing but open grazeland. New York still has that cluttered feeling that Houston has

In the meantime, Houston can just sit back and fill in the holes that are already in progress with the Skyhouse and all the proposed towers that are set to break ground within the next few months.
In all honesty, I actually think Houston, with it's separate Uptown and med districts is kinda cool.

If Houston is "unique", THAT is what makes it unique. It has clumps of buildings here and there.

BUT... Dallas still has to have the better Skyline; If the question is "which skyline is better?" then
it has to go to Dallas.

If the question was "who has the Most skyscrapers and the Tallest?" Then it goes to Houston.
Or if the question was "Which city has the most clumps of towers, or the most skylines?"
Again, it would be Houston.

But Dallas' is LONGER and prettier, and the architecture is better. That is what makes a good Skyline.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:00 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
You are a sad soul. It's a shame that little ole Dallas is on par with that huge megalopolis known as Houston. If Houston is so tall why not start a Houston vs Chicago thread? Why a Houston vs Dallas? You guys are a sad bunch. Houston has a couple of taller building than Dallas. That's it. And for Houston to be twice the size of Dallas, don't you think those numbers are pathetic? Dallas is holding it's own to be half the size of Houston.
who said Dallas was on par with Houston? the Dallas vs Houston rivalry is a giant pissing match.. that is why this thread is so long. if you hadnt noticed, most of the thread is a bunch of side tracked off topic crap like many of the posts over the past week or so. not debating wether Dallas' skyline is better than Houstons (we all know the answer to that). Houston is in a class between Dallas and Chicago, so its not appropriate to compare it to Chicago. otherwise one might as well compare Houston to NYC. there are however, plenty of Houston vs (insert comparable skyline here) threads in the other subforums of this website, but since this is the TEXAS subforum, someone (whose allegiance clearly resides with NYC, not Houston, i might point out..) decided to make a Texas themed skyscraper Vs thread, and Houston and Dallas have the larger skylines in Texas so those were the two that were chosen. You do realize there are Houston vs LA and Houston vs Miami skyline threads, right? i agree, they are way better comparisons in terms of skylines than Houston vs Dallas.
as for Houston having "a couple of taller buildings than Dallas. Thats it.", lmao. you do realize that 7 of the 10 tallest buildings in Texas are in Houston? only 2 in the top 10 are in Dallas. i could see where your coming from with the "thats it" part, uptown and downtown Dallas (the majority of Dallas' highrise concentrations) is fairly close to downtown Houstons size, but Houston still has Uptown, the Texas Medical Center, Greenway, the Energy Corridor, Memorial City, The Woodlands, and a few other skylines to add into the mix. with all of those additional skylines, Houston has almost 200 more high rises than Dallas.
Dallas is hardly "holding its own" to Houston. it might be holding its own against downtown Houston, but thats about it. those numbers are hardly pathetic. as has been pointed out numerous times, DFW and Houston are practically the same size and density. if Dallas were able to annex the amount of land Houston annexed, the cities would be very comparable. which leads me to my next point.. since the Dallas area (DFW) and Houston are practically comparable, dont you think DFWs skyscraper numbers are pathetic? (see how that works?) DFW isnt even close to competing with the Houston metro in terms of skylines and number of high rises and DFW is the bigger metro.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Is it even possible to take a skyline of everything in Dallas and surrounding cities? I dont think so. This is the closest attempt I have seen and its missing Las Colinas part of the Stemmons corrider, not to mention Las Colinas and Fort Worth. At this distance you can barely make out DT Dallas if you go any further to include other urban areas you will surely fade out DT Dallas.
This is what Houston skyline posters have been doing. lol !
Taking far-away pics and combining EVERYTHING in the surrounding area, and making a big Skyline.

It's cute.

By the way, that is an awesome pic.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:04 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyDallasGirl View Post
Dallas has the better skyline.
Even people from Houston will admit that the Dallas skyline is breath-taking.
lmao, righttt.....

Old 12-13-2013, 09:06 PM

286 posts, read 406,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
who said Dallas was on par with Houston? the Dallas vs Houston rivalry is a giant pissing match.. that is why this thread is so long. if you hadnt noticed, most of the thread is a bunch of side tracked off topic crap like many of the posts over the past week or so. not debating wether Dallas' skyline is better than Houstons (we all know the answer to that). Houston is in a class between Dallas and Chicago, so its not appropriate to compare it to Chicago. otherwise one might as well compare Houston to NYC. there are however, plenty of Houston vs (insert comparable skyline here) threads in the other subforums of this website, but since this is the TEXAS subforum, someone (whose allegiance clearly resides with NYC, not Houston, i might point out..) decided to make a Texas themed skyscraper Vs thread, and Houston and Dallas have the larger skylines in Texas so those were the two that were chosen. You do realize there are Houston vs LA and Houston vs Miami skyline threads, right? i agree, they are way better comparisons in terms of skylines than Houston vs Dallas.
as for Houston having "a couple of taller buildings than Dallas. Thats it.", lmao. you do realize that 7 of the 10 tallest buildings in Texas are in Houston? only 2 in the top 10 are in Dallas. i could see where your coming from with the "thats it" part, uptown and downtown Dallas (the majority of Dallas' highrise concentrations) is fairly close to downtown Houstons size, but Houston still has Uptown, the Texas Medical Center, Greenway, the Energy Corridor, Memorial City, The Woodlands, and a few other skylines to add into the mix. with all of those additional skylines, Houston has almost 200 more high rises than Dallas.
Dallas is hardly "holding its own" to Houston. it might be holding its own against downtown Houston, but thats about it. those numbers are hardly pathetic. as has been pointed out numerous times, DFW and Houston are practically the same size and density. if Dallas were able to annex the amount of land Houston annexed, the cities would be very comparable. which leads me to my next point.. since the Dallas area (DFW) and Houston are practically comparable, dont you think DFWs skyscraper numbers are pathetic? (see how that works?) DFW isnt even close to competing with the Houston metro in terms of skylines and number of high rises and DFW is the bigger metro.
That cat is from Houston, or maybe you left that out on purpose.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
On the south part of Houston, around pearland, when you're coming north towards downtown on 288, the view is amazing! not only can you see downtown, but uptown as well. Somebody needs to take a picture of that view and post it. People only see downtown in most photos, but that view is amazing, that is why Houston defintely has the top 5 best skyline in North America, and top 10 or top 15 skyline in the world. To me personally, the Dallas downtown seems very dull, I am not a big fan of it, but ive noticed a lot of people do like it. I am a bit bias since HOuston is where i was born and raised, lets get some dallas people to defend their city, lol.
Maybe you can't read or you missed this part. Either way I forgive you.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
And BTW Houston is nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE near Chicago. Houston and Dallas are comparable. Does anyone down in Houston travel and visit other cities?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
Dallas can build a supertall, it will happen. Ross Perot Jr just purchased land downtown that has no height restrictions. He has even hinted at building a supertall.
I seen that. In that Bank of America lot, next to the Woodall Rodgers freeway.

I want to see that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas