Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:38 PM

47 posts, read 376,261 times

Advertisements

Abilene has always been a town divided. Having been founded around the railroad, both figuratively and literally, the tracks form a dividing line through central Abilene, cutting it into the North Side and South Side. Both sides have a distinct personality. Growing up on one side or the other determines how you're perceived by fellow Abilenians. If you live on the South Side, you can't even imagine ever living north of the tracks. Northsiders assuredly feel the same way about the South Side. The 1960 opening of Cooper High School on the far south side only served to perpetuate the division. I grew up on the South Side (not far from the Mall which opened in 1979) and, until I started attending Abilene Christian University in the fall of 2005, I had virtually no knowledge of the roads or landmarks of northern Abilene. Fellow students from faraway cities and states knew more about the North Side than I did.

All this being said, I come to my purpose in this post. This historic core of Downtown Abilene is as divided as the rest of town. North of the tracks is where the big businesses built for much of the city's history. It's the side with the train stations and the hotels and the concert halls and the theater and the apartment towers. The north part of downtown has tidy planters lining its streets and maturing live oaks spreading shade over pedestrians as the wander between galleries and cafes. When you say you're going "downtown," you really mean north Downtown.

However, there is a southern part of downtown. A red-headed stepchild, if you will. When redevelopment and restoration swept through north Downtown in the 1980s and 90s, it skipped this half. South Downtown Abilene is home to the monolithic 1970s Taylor County Courthouse. It is also, oddly enough, home to Abilene's tallest tower, the 300-foot 1983 Enterprise Tower, home to Bank of America among other things. But by and large, this area has not been shown the love given to its northern neighbors. Perhaps it's because it was a little more stripped of its history than the north side during Abilene's abusive love affair with the wrecking ball in the 1960s and 70s. Perhaps it's because the south side was always a little more industrial and less commercial and people have always had fewer reasons to venture there. Maybe it was even cursed by having the Courthouse and other government bodies located there, as they provided a constant stream of inhabitants and it may not have appeared to need a facelift like the ghostly and abandoned north side of the 80s. Surely, it's a combination of all of the above.

All this being said, the south side of downtown is worn out. It is run-down. It is dirty and unkempt and crumbling. Sidewalks lined with oaks during some previous revitalization attempt lay cracked and buckled, many of the trees now dead, the pavement littered with crushed acorns and beer cans. In other places, the remains of what was once a sidewalk hides beneath a blanket of grass and weeds and trash. Most of the storefronts that once comprised "the square" around the courthouse are either abandoned or destroyed, save a cafe or two and a couple of less-than-reputable clubs ("The Stairs", "Midnight Rodeo 3" etc). A tidy little train depot sits awkward and unused, beautiful old warehouses and silos loom quietly, their windows smashed and their painted signs faded. A block from the courthouse, buildings are boarded up, streets are desolate and an overwhelming sense of abandonment permeates the air.

Recently, however, city planners have come up with a master plan to overhaul this forgotten portion of town. The plan, still in its early stages, calls for "the construction of townhomes, the salvaging of historical buildings and the establishment of plazas and open spaces." From the Abilene Reporter-News: "Suggested features include mixed use of commercial, retail, office and residential; wide sidewalks; landscaping and streetscaping; one main park and possibly four smaller parks; street improvements and the conversion of one-way streets to two-way traffic; designated gateways to parts of the area; improved linkages between downtown areas north and south of the railroad tracks; and pedestrian and bicycle-friendly traffic." Developers hope to increase the permanent population of the neighborhood from the current 200 to somewhere between 2 and 4 thousand.

All this in mind, I took a little walking tour of South Downtown on the afternoon of Saturday, November 14 2009. Much of what I saw, I'd never seen before, despite having lived in Abilene a large majority of my 22 years of life. It was depressing to see such advanced decay, but I gained a large amount of optimism as I saw generally good bones in the neighborhood. There's great potential for a thriving urban center. Perhaps even more potential than the north side of downtown because the south side has empty lots and derelict swaths of condemned and crumbling old homes not worth saving that could be converted into glossy new homes and businesses to complement the restored historic portions. Who knows. It might all be a pipe dream. Check out my pictures below and comment if you'd like. If you read this whole long-winded thing, I commend you.

A rough map I made of the area. It is bounded on the north by the tracks, on the south by South 7th Street, on the east by Treadaway Blvd and on the west by Butternut Street.

My starting point: Taylor County Courthouse.

The roof line of an abandoned storefront. It says "B & J" but I have no clue as to what this once was.

A couple of shops actually in use on the courthouse square. Culpepper's and Gloria's Grill.

Looking south down Chestnut Street toward Enterprise tower.

Looking west down South 2nd street toward the 1921 Carpenter building (3 stories) which is now a nightclub. Whatever building used to be at this corner is little more than wall foundations now, and the sidewalk has long since been abandoned.

Taylor County Courthouse and the Enterprise.

Another old store front converted into a nightclub. Looking northeast at the intersection of Oak and S 2nd.

A row of somewhat sterile offices along Oak street.

Looking north toward the railroad tracks on Oak street. The light brick building ahead on the left of the road is the headquarters for Lauren Engineering, a major firm with nationwide operations.

A lone car at the office. South side of S 2nd st.

I have absolutely no knowledge of this building. The sign is shoddily painted to say "The Abilene Boys Clubs, Inc" but it has obviously not been anything for many years. The windows are smashed out and the pressed tin ceiling inside is peeling and rusted. On South 2nd between Oak & Pecan.

Looking southwest. The "Boys Club" on the left, the Enterprise looming in the distance.

The building's South 2nd front.

Long-unused doors.

Detailing above the entrance.

The Boys Club - a mystery to me.

An old loading dock on South 2nd that seems to still be in use.

One of the aging dock doors.

Walking behind The Stairs nightclub.

I'm not entirely sure if this shop is still functioning or if this is just a relic.

Looking north toward an abandoned train loading platform of a building on South 1st.

A beautiful platform accentuated by the earthly belongings of a vagrant.

Heading back out of the alley - the back of the nightclub again.

The bustling corner of South 2nd & Pecan.

A row of eerily quiet warehouses on South 2nd.

A closeup of the 1928 "Abilene Plumbing Supplies" building. It obviously had large picture windows in a happier time.

It doesn't look as if anyone's used this door in some time.

A tree has grown unchecked for generations. South 2nd between Pecan & Locust.

South 2nd.

Peering down an alley that runs from South 2nd to South 3rd.

The corner of South 2nd & Locust. A 3-story warehouse/furniture making company on the left, the 1929 Burlington Route Depot on the right.

Part of the Mayfield Paper Company at 2nd & Locust.

Looking back west down 2nd.

Cattle Annie's - a furniture making company that I never knew existed. If they're not using all 3 floors, that building could make some great lofts.

The 1929 Burlington Route Depot. The current owner has plans to turn it into a restaurant.

The depot's bay window.

It has great potential.

From behind.

Across the street, tracks lay buried under dead grass.

Above looms an old feed mill - turned TV shop - turned antique shop - turned abandoned shell. On the block bounded by 2nd & 3rd, Locust & Cherry.

Hardly a window was spared.

Remnants of a painted feed company sign linger above the door.

Looking southwest toward the courthouse and tower.

Looking north at the north side highrises peeking over the south side warehouses.

Cutting west back to Pecan street, these two old buildings sit behind the lesser-known 1914 courthouse between 3rd and 4th.

The Welfare Offices - older letters hide behind the current sign, though.

Indeed, the Welfare building apparently used to house the Agriculture Department.

Built in the late 1930s as part of Roosevelt's Works Progress program.

"Care" was not the name of the game apparently when this window was painted.

The rear of the 1914 Taylor County Courthouse. It is actually the 2nd courthouse to have been built in Abilene. The more traditional clock-tower-adorned original courthouse, built in the 1890s, was torn down to make way for this neoclassical beauty as Abilene's population soared and space was needed.

A beautiful art-deco building next to the Welfare offices. At least, its crown is beautiful.

The building itself fell victim to a 1960s need for more space. Luckily, they didn't destroy the entire thing, but with the delicate crown to heavily out of balance with its blocky first floor, they might as well have.

The contrast is laughable.

The Abilene/Taylor County Law Enforcement Center, built around the turn of this century, replaced large a popular department store that had long since gone out of business. Older residents still reminisce about its Christmas window displays. I believe it was Grissom's, but I'm not entirely sure.

Abilene's supply of police vehicle sit behind barbed wire across from the Law Enforcement Center. Between 4th and 5th on Pecan.

The Taylor County Plaza is a tribute to bad architecture of the 1960s. It is home to many county offices.

The building sit directly south of the Courthouse, occupying the block bounded by 3rd & 4th, Oak & Chestnut.

Built during Abilene's subdued 1980s oil boom, the 300-foot-tall Enterprise tower is an anomaly. It is the tallest building in Abilene, separated from the core skyline by about 6 blocks. Its neighbors are little more than woodframe houses and parking lots. Obviously, at one time, the south side of downtown was expected to prosper more than it ultimately did.

The lobby houses the main branch of Bank of America.

Looking up.

All by itself, the building is somewhat oppressive. Its stark rectangular 1980s form is in desperate need of some contrasting neighbors to balance it out. Hopefully the revitalization project will include some midrise apartment towers.

Some modern art decorating one of the planters out front.

This made me laugh. On Sycamore, directly west of the tower.

What I believe to be a long-abandoned school house on Sycamore. It is now apartments.

The south face of the tower looming over the parking garage.

The afternoon sun glaring off the windows as I meander back north on Chestnut toward the courthouse.

The portico of Taylor County plaza.

A fresh paint job would do wonders here.

A tidy shop, Nichols Battery at Chestnut & 4th. The owner was interviewed by the Reporter-News about the possible revitalization of the area. He said he loves the idea and is glad it's finally "their turn." He says he'd like to see Chestnut look like Cypress Street, the showcase road of historic north downtown.

Nichols' neighbors: an empty lot and two frightening store fronts.

A drab row of lawyers' offices on Chestnut across from the courthouse. The trees are beautiful, though.

The 1930 Wooten Tower, now luxury apartments, peers down at south downtown.

The lawyer block, or so it seems.

An oddly sterile place for lunch. The Enterprise Tower peeks in.

Not much explanation necessary here. On South 3rd between Sycamore and Chestnut.

Across the street, the building barely reads "Wichita Falls Oxygen Co"

A couple of the many hideous relics that could easily be demolished in favor of a park or apartment community.

The west face of the courthouse from South 3rd.

A custom mattress shop on Sycamore.

I'm not sure of this building's history. The mosaic says 1941, but the masonry at the roofline says 1921. Either way, I think it deserves a classier tenant than Midnight Rodeo 3.

The ornate crown.

Next door, another shady concert venue.

Back to Gloria's Grill on Chestnut. The owner is a bit more pessimistic about the plans for south downtown. She feels that she's doing a good lunch business, but that they'd need to bring "a lot" of people down there to make it worth staying open for dinner.

Gloria's is part of the Abilene Trolley's lunch route. The trolley is little more than a dressed-up city bus, but it's a nice touch for the many employees who spend the middle part of the day downtown. Hopefully, it can become a permanent home for more people in the coming decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 02:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,870,474 times
I very much enjoyed your tour, and your great attitude! Maybe if more people felt like this, the older parts of many West Texas towns could be revitalized.

They're working on it in downtown Midland, but you can't please everybody. Several got upset because some of the older buildings were razed. It made a real mess right before I moved. I'll go back one of these days and see what they have done since then!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:55 AM

4 posts, read 43,846 times
Thanks a lot for this very interesting visit, you're a very good photographer

Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,780 times
Nice tour! I'm a native Abilenian who also grew up on the south side of town and like you, I also rarely venture over to the north side....LOL. I hope the city planners are serious about revitalizing southern downtown. As everyone can tell by your photos, that area is in great need of some improvements and it has been that way for a long time. I agree that that area certainly has a lot of potential for re-development. I remember how dead all of downtown was for so many years after most merchants fled downtown to the newer indoor mall and strip malls on the rapidly developing far south side of town starting in the late 70's/early 80's, so I have been very impressed with the awesome revitalization that has occurred over on Cypress Street in north downtown in the last 10-15 years. There's lot's of great places to eat, shop, and hang out downtown these days. As a result of that success, I'm confident they could do something similar to that in this southern area of downtown.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:10 PM

588 posts, read 2,828,616 times
Nice pictures, WestTexan. What shocks me most is there is not a single human being in any of those pictures, save for a couple of cars in some of the shots. Did you see any other pedestrians at all while you were out walking around?

Old 11-16-2009, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys.

No, juggler, I never saw more than one or two random people. Keep in mind, there are virtually no homes for several blocks in this area. It is a monday-friday area, with most people who actually work there are only there until about 5 in the afternoon. Forget about Saturday. Traffic picks up at night when the clubs open, but it's of a less-than-reputable sort. There were a few people at Cattle Annie's loading and unloading goods, and a small crowd at the bus station, though they're not the type of people I'd feel comfortable photographing.

As I type this, a building at North 4th and Plum in Abilene's warehouse district is being completely consumed by fire. That's the second building in the neighborhood to be destroyed by flames in the last 3 months. Hopefully this will further encourage redevelopment as people see just how far parts of downtown have declined. Think positive: anything that burns is space that can be developed new instead of restored (which, let's face it, is a major hurdle for most developers when looking for a place to invest). A mixed-use midrise tower and maybe a new park or two could potentially inject a little more vibrancy and encourage further development. But, then again, when it comes to downtown Abilene, I've got a very thick pair of rose-colored glasses.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:57 AM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times
Great tour. Keep up the good work. Always great to see pics of other Texas cities.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:21 PM

I worked really hard on this, so, just this once... bump

Old 11-19-2009, 06:20 AM

714 posts, read 2,931,968 times
I visit Abilene several times a year and I am always impressed with these buildings and the town. Abililene is a very good town to live in and would be a fantastic town if they could do something good with these properties.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 20,400 times
Well, this is my first time putting any input in here, so here goes. I am looking long and hard at moving to Abilene. I really want to be in the Winters area, but unless your independently wealthy, you don't move to the middle of nowhere with a load of crap and have nowhere to put it. I have a few points. First, I also liked your tour. I preferred your explanation of the area over some I have read. Secondly, as much as I like progress, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get people that like the area to move into the area and make it better? Condos, townhouses and comfy lofts, sure they bring in the people, but is that what is desired? I am from southern Rhode Island. I liked it there, but I left for the service, and while visiting, I found I could never move back. I couldn't afford to move back. Every rich person it seemed wanted a New England getaway in my town, and rent went through the roof, even in the craphole parts of town. Fast-forward to now. I'm living in Asheville, N.C.. I don't mind the area, but it's a little too cold for my taste. I don't get out much, but when I do, I go to the parts of town where the hippest part of the population hangs out. We have a large population of liberals here. These are the guys and gals that hang out a the coffee shops and cafes that are spread out over these parts of town. The vintage clothes shops, skateboard shops and vegetarian open-air eateries are the point of this note though. I'll give the example of Haywood Rd. A bakery, then a farmers co-op then a bar then a video rental joint then a uphostery shop. I mean I could go on. This is growth. This is leaving the area alone long enough to let people move in and fix the place up. Not with grants, loans, collaborations between higher-ups. This is letting people move in with rents they can afford and not restrict them til their spleens fall out. Haywood Rd. was just as bad as every other Anytown, U.S.A. "bad part of town" til it was allowed to grow. You want to fix the area up? Get more cops to patrol the area to cut down on crime and vandalism. Let the people there feel they are safe. Then they'll invest their harder-to-come-by-these-days greenbacks into the property that they'll choose to eventually buy instead of just rent. What is the point of all this? Well, in retrospect, who knows. I would hope that whoever reads this might take a look at this area and see the potential. Your observations were great, but I'd hate to see this area become a sterile part of town with nice shiny park benches and horse-drawn carts carrying newlyweds. Progress is in the eye of the beholder. Run condos into this area and all you'll do is push the vagrants to another part of town. I really would like to get down to Abilene. When I do, I'm gonna look for a place to set up shop. I'm gonna move into this part of town looking for some place that I can afford to get into and get going. If there is a bump in the night, I will make it in the best interest in the criminals mind to go out and get a job instead of taking something from me. I'm willing to put up a fight to save this area of town if I can get there. It sounds and looks to intriguing to pass up. I'm not willing to see it get cleaned up to impress the snobs that look down upon it now. If I can get there as I hope I can, I'm gonna become part of South Abilene, and I hope with the motivation that I have, more will come. Keep up the good work. If anybody else has some input, I'd love to hear it. Thank you.
John
Semper Fi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas