Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:35 AM

3,245 posts, read 5,583,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
East Texas

Tyler is THE medical center of the region, though I suggest living in the surrounding areas of Lindale, Whitehouse, Flint, or Bullard if you want to be out in the country, or very close to it. Hunting & fishing is VERY popular in this part of the Texas. People come here from all over the state just for those reasons alone.

Pay for nurses in this area(Tyler) sux ... I've looked into moving to Tyler and my offers were $5-$7/hr less than I make in Beaumont ... that's $10-$15K less. That's with 20 years ICU experience and multiple certifications. But to put that into perspective I could be making that much more in the Greater Houston area too. Beaumont and Tyler are similar in size though.

I live on 50 ac. north of Beaumont and just make the hour commute 15 times/month. I have all the nature stuff I can handle right outside my door. 3 deer stands within a 10 minute walk (2 more within a mile), 35 minutes to Sam Rayburn Reservoir, 3 Big Thicket Nat'l Preserve hiking trails within 15 miles. Large creeks to swim and fish in minutes away by ATV.

Wife works (as a RN in Livingston) 30 minutes from here.

One thing I have become more aware of is the need to be wary of being to close to the coast unless you can secure your investment against hurricanes. I've been thru 2 in 4 years that has had notable effects (financial and psychological) on our family! We are about 75 miles inland. Not quite far enough. (That's why I applied at East Texas Medical Center in Tyler).

I am in near nature Nirvana ... except for the freakin 2 hurricanes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 07:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,863,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Pay for nurses in this area(Tyler) sux ... I've looked into moving to Tyler and my offers were $5-$7/hr less than I make in Beaumont ... that's $10-$15K less. That's with 20 years ICU experience and multiple certifications. But to put that into perspective I could be making that much more in the Greater Houston area too. Beaumont and Tyler are similar in size though.

I live on 50 ac. north of Beaumont and just make the hour commute 15 times/month. I have all the nature stuff I can handle right outside my door. 3 deer stands within a 10 minute walk (2 more within a mile), 35 minutes to Sam Rayburn Reservoir, 3 Big Thicket Nat'l Preserve hiking trails within 15 miles. Large creeks to swim and fish in minutes away by ATV.
Trust me, I am very familiar with Beaumont & have many close friends who work there as RN's. I'm usually down there every few months to visit.

Beaumont may pay their nurse more because no one really wants to live there. Its a dirty town for the most part & VERY run down looking. Flooding & hurricanes are a constant worry down there, not to mention all of the pollution that plagues the Golden Triangle area.

Tyler is MUCH cleaner city & known for its natural beauty. The area is semi-hilly (very hilly in some parts) compared to flat coastal SE Texas.

I've also noticed Beaumont seems to be a lot more racially segregated & redneck than Tyler this maybe because its roots are more "Deep South" than Tyler's.

Now Houston is a whole different story...cosmopolitan, diverse, much to do. Loved it when I lived there & plan to move back ASAP.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 PM

3,245 posts, read 5,583,179 times
Lot more money in Beaumont was my point!

The redneck comment is a bit harsh ... but opinions are like arseholes ... most people have one!

Old 11-22-2009, 01:52 PM

437 posts, read 919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Also might look toward the Hill Country or even San Antonio area. Actually there is no one place in Texas that would dominate over another except maybe West Texas is weak on ag stuff. Ranching is everywhere though. East Texas can always use forestry management types too. Just close your eyes and stick a tack in a map and check it out!
West Texas may be weak on ag stuff?!?!? That's where agriculture is most dominant, unless maybe you're referring to far West Texas?

Old 11-22-2009, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,629 times
BobTex, you sound like you might be close to me. We're near Segno. Takes us about an hour to Beaumont and 30 mins to Livingston. We live on 5 acres. Just moved here a couple of months ago from inner loop Houston and loving it! Boy, how I wish we had 50 acres and an ATV!!!

Marquette - You might want to check out the Big Thicket area. Land is cheap and plenty! I know several tracts of land for sale within a few miles of me. People definitely leave each other alone. You can do what you like out here. My husband hunts in our backyard, and our dogs run around outside. The kids love it too, but they are not school age yet, so I don't know much about the schools. The only bad thing I can say is you're not going to meet many neighbors to bbq with. Everyone seems to stick to themselves. It can feel pretty isolated out here, but the nature part is sooooo great.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,629 times
Another thing - if you want something closer to Houston and shopping, etc. but still with a country feel, you could check out Cleveland or Conroe. If you lived in either of those places, you could work at the Woodlands hospital or Cleveland hospital. Or even Kingwood, although it has an awful reputation.

I'm going to school for nursing, so I've done my research for my area, near Segno in the Thicket. If I live here and want to work in a hospital, I could work in Livingston, Cleveland, or Beaumont. All within an hour.

And about Beaumont, it's not all that bad. While I wouldn't want to live there, I don't want to live in Houston either. Seems pretty much the same to me. I go there at least 2 or 3 times a month. It's a good town for those of us out in the sticks who want to shop somewhere besides walmart or brookshire brothers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas