Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:41 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are relocating to Abilene in November from FL. My brother in law has orders to go to Dyess when he leaves Korea. We are going to relocate there also. I have read a lot of positive things about Abilene. Never lived in TX either. What should I know? Do? Any reccomendations? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,034,799 times
I am a native Abilenian and currently live here again and can probably help answer most of your questions but I need a little more information from you. Are you planning on renting or buying? What would your price range be? Do you have school-age children?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I am a native Abilenian and currently live here again and can probably help answer most of your questions but I need a little more information from you. Are you planning on renting or buying? What would your price range be? Do you have school-age children?
We are going to rent a house there, 3-4 bedroom. $800-$1000 monthly. My brother in law is also going to rent with us while he is stationed at Dyess for the next 4-8 years. My daughter is 10 grade 4. My wife is looking at going back into Albertsons which were all sold last year to Publix here in FL.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:53 AM

You should have no problem renting a house in that price range in a decent part of town. Up until a few years ago I rented a nice 3 bedroom home in the southwestern part of town for about $800. It was an older home (built in the 60's) but it had new paint and carpet throughout and was close to plenty of shopping. Before that I rented a 3 bedroom house not far from Dyess that was older but nice for about the same price. Word to the wise, try to avoid neighborhoods in the vicinity of S.7th St. in the area west of the Winters freeway (Hwy 83/84 west loop). There are some rough neigborhoods out there (gang activity, shootings, etc.) Generally speaking, the south and southwest side of town is your best bet for nicer neighborhoods that are still relatively close to Dyess that should have some nice rentals in your price range. Your best bet would be to google some of the local real estate agents. Many of them show some of the better properties that are professionally managed. I had better luck with that than just getting stuff out of the local newspaper. As far as Albertson's goes we still have one of those here at 4450 Buffalo Gap Rd (the other one closed a few years ago). Abilene is a nice little city (about 120,000 people) and they have some good public schools here. There are several public parks, a zoo, and some good restaurants here. Abilene is a also a very family-oriented city. Click the link below for some good general information about the city, including the public schools. See the bottom of the page in the link for more helpful links. If you have any more questions I'd be glad to help in any way I can!

Here's the link:

Abilene, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by TT Dave; 08-14-2009 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: left something out

Old 08-16-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
You should have no problem renting a house in that price range in a decent part of town. Up until a few years ago I rented a nice 3 bedroom home in the southwestern part of town for about $800. It was an older home (built in the 60's) but it had new paint and carpet throughout and was close to plenty of shopping. Before that I rented a 3 bedroom house not far from Dyess that was older but nice for about the same price. Word to the wise, try to avoid neighborhoods in the vicinity of S.7th St. in the area west of the Winters freeway (Hwy 83/84 west loop). There are some rough neigborhoods out there (gang activity, shootings, etc.) Generally speaking, the south and southwest side of town is your best bet for nicer neighborhoods that are still relatively close to Dyess that should have some nice rentals in your price range. Your best bet would be to google some of the local real estate agents. Many of them show some of the better properties that are professionally managed. I had better luck with that than just getting stuff out of the local newspaper. As far as Albertson's goes we still have one of those here at 4450 Buffalo Gap Rd (the other one closed a few years ago). Abilene is a nice little city (about 120,000 people) and they have some good public schools here. There are several public parks, a zoo, and some good restaurants here. Abilene is a also a very family-oriented city. Click the link below for some good general information about the city, including the public schools. See the bottom of the page in the link for more helpful links. If you have any more questions I'd be glad to help in any way I can!

Here's the link:

Abilene, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks so much for the info!!! I am looking forward to getting out of FL, believe me. If I have any questions can I PM you?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 08-16-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Thanks so much for the info!!! I am looking forward to getting out of FL, believe me. If I have any questions can I PM you?

Thanks,

Chris
Absolutely, if you have any more questions just PM me and I'll be glad to help in whatever ways I can.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:01 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,087,407 times
Opps, almost missed this one.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,161 times
Default Midland vs. Abilene

Hey TT Dave,

Can I jump on your offer too? I am a Texas native, but haven't spent any time in the western part of the state. I currently have job offers in Abilene and Midland. If all else was equal, which would be the better place to live and raise a family? Are they about the same terrain-wise (I'm thinking pretty flat, hot, dry, therefore dusty)? I'm a single mom with elementary-age children; would that make a difference in your recommendation? What about nightlife. I love to 2-step and I've missed it a lot during my marriage, so I have some making up to do. Which city would be more desirable in that regard? Thank you!

Julie

Last edited by juliemerrittrobinson; 09-03-2009 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: need to change user name

Old 09-03-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemerrittrobinson View Post
Hey TT Dave,

Can I jump on your offer too? I am a Texas native, but haven't spent any time in the western part of the state. I currently have job offers in Abilene and Midland. If all else was equal, which would be the better place to live and raise a family? Are they about the same terrain-wise (I'm thinking pretty flat, hot, dry, therefore dusty)? I'm a single mom with elementary-age children; would that make a difference in your recommendation? What about nightlife. I love to 2-step and I've missed it a lot during my marriage, so I have some making up to do. Which city would be more desirable in that regard? Thank you!

Julie
Hey Julie, your in luck because I have lived in Midland before and I now live in Abilene again (native of Abilene), so I should be able to help out. Yes, both cities are about the same terrain-wise, although Midland is a little more "desert-like" overall. It is flat, hot, and dry here in Abilene too but there are a few mesas just south of town that changes up the scenery slightly and it is slightly greener here (a few more trees...LOL). As far as a good place to raise a family goes, both cities would probably be fairly equal on that. Both cities have pretty good public schools too. As far as nightlife goes, I think Abilene has a slight edge on that one. To be fair it has been a while since I lived in Midland (back in the mid 90's) but when I was there it seemed like there weren't as many places to go out to at night as we have here in Abilene. It's been a while since I've gone "2- stepping" but I'm pretty sure there is at least 2 or 3 really good places still here in Abilene for C&W dancing. If you have any more questions just let me know or send me a direct message. Hope this helps!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Hello. We are relocating to Abilene in November from FL. My brother in law has orders to go to Dyess when he leaves Korea. We are going to relocate there also. I have read a lot of positive things about Abilene. Never lived in TX either. What should I know? Do? Any reccomendations? Thanks in advance.

Hi Chris:

Abilene is a great place to reside. Once Touted as "The Future Great Town of West Texas", Abilene has become just that. 150 miles west of the Dallas-fort Worth Metroplex, we offer all the charm of the old west while providing the advantages of a contemporary city. Abilene offers activities for the outdoor enthusiasts. Home to three private universities, six public universities and community colleges, two public school districts including 3 public high schools and Dyess of course you know about. We are the center of a 22-county trade district and continues to frontier advancements in biotechnology, wind farming, computer science and software engineering. Two great hospitals I can't say enough about which are Hendricks Medical and Abilene Regional. Abilene Regional is known for their advancements in cardiac care. Visit the Abilene Chamber of Commerce online as they have a great site for visitors and those planning on relocating to Abilene. If you ever need a home, we would appreciate your giving us a call as we own TriWest, Realtors here in Abilene and I have extensive experience in the Abilene area being a realtor for 22 years and a Broker for 3 years. Our phone number is 325.669.5770 and you can find our site at www.triwest3.com and our sister site at www.triwest3homes.com . Please let us know how we can assist you and we offer military discounts every day.

We hope you like Abilene as much as we do and good luck on your dicision to move here. Looking forward to being of service to you!

Best Regards,
Ron Harmon/Broker
TriWest, Realtors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas