Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 04:47 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
but by all means keep woodward and scott around even though less than 800 students attend those schools.

I get what youre saying. I can see the massive renovation of Scott High School as being a good move for its particular area of the city. Scott is directly in the Old West End / Old Towne area, and would be the closest school to downtown. Simple aspects like its aesthetic, historical qualities can be attractive factors for people, who already appreciate these neighborhoods for such qualities........in moving to and investing in these neighborhoods. I think the renovation of Scott High School turned out great, and may even have a beneficial effect on more than just the school itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 AM

180 posts, read 341,567 times
Totally agreed. I really think Scott in particular is going to play a big part in Toledo's future. Downtown Toledo's population has been growing at a pretty significant clip for a while now. If it continues, it'll only be a matter of time before it hits that critical mass where downtown living is no longer looked at skeptically by Toledoans(ens?). When that happens, people will start seeing the immense value of the Old West End. You can buy a mansion for about the cost of a nice new car. From said mansion, you can walk to an absolute gem of an art museum, or hit up the uptown area. Or even head all the way to downtown if you're on your bike.

When that happens, Scott will become extremely important. Having a quality school will just add to the list of reasons why the OWE should be seen as an undervalued asset. The money that went into renovating it should be seen as a very shrewd investment, because it could be paying dividends soon enough.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,665 times
Sad to say but Davida fan on page 6 sums it up nicely Toledo problems and issues. And sadly why the future does look bad for Toledo itself. Half baked projects dead projects and failed projects are a way of life. Each time people hope this one will save Toledo but does not. It has been a slow death for 25 years. But people put their heads in the sand.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:19 PM

This forum as dead as Toledo lol.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:51 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
I don't see a post by DavidaFan on page 6. Can you quote it instead of giving the page number? Page numbers aren't always the same for everyone because you can change it to show 10 per page or 20 per page or whatever you want.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:28 PM

Sorry it is page 7 it is really long but sums it up well.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:00 AM

I agree with some of that sentiment. I always talk about how there's so much potential for this city and when I say that, I mean that the physical city itself....streets, buildings, neighborhoods, downtown, parks, etc have potential. The problem is do we have enough of the right people to really help us realize that potential? I agree that it seems like so many people stick their heads in the sand. So much stuff doesn't get accomplished around here and its unfortunate. Since different cities have unique issues to deal with, I think we should at least study every mid-size city similar statistically to us and see what all of them are doing differently and figure out what were lacking.

I also wish people wouldn't settle for overall mediocrity around here.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:36 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidafan View Post
In 15 or 20 years, this place will either be a ghost town with less than half of its present population and a bunch of boarded up factories, or it will be a thriving mid-sized Great Lakes city.
Sounds about right.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 AM

10 posts, read 15,255 times
After attending the OWE Festival, I've realized that I don't understand Toledo one bit. All too often, Toledo residents (natives especially) seem entrenched in the muck and mire of a cesspool of negativism about their city. During this festival, that negativism is transformed into a resolute pride. It is an incredible time of the year when everyone seems to have a real energy about them and the belief that yes, this part of town is awesome, full of history, and is perfectly walkable. What in the heck is the deal, Toledo folks? Keep up that beautiful, wonderful optimism that is so present on the home tours, while grabbing ribs at a street vendor, while wandering down Scottwood and seeing everyone interact and enjoy the fellowship, while admiring the stunning homes. I fell in love with OWE during that festival in a way that I was not anticipating, so much so that I now regret not looking there obsessively when purchasing a home. I revisited the other day and realized that much (but certainly not all) of that beautiful energy had zipped away, back to the suburbs and surrounding areas. Why this is not THE cultural center of Toledo, THE hot spot, is beyond me. Many of you native folks have no bloody idea what a treasure you have.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:20 AM

I would say it basically is the cultural center of Toledo. Honestly I think its pretty vibrant all the time. Its solidly residential so its not like there's going to be an obvious thriving business district or anything. Actually, i would say Uptown/Adams St is the OWEs "downtown". And there's always people at the restaurants and bars down there.

It's true that a lot of people don't realize the treasures we have in our city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo