Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:30 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times

Advertisements

That's what we've been hearing from Detroit for the past 2-3 years but no replacements have been announced yet. They say the plant has a future, but I'll believe it when I start seeing the Trailblazer's replacement rolling off the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 PM

5 posts, read 24,958 times
Understand; my sister has lived in the Columbus area since 1970, and it's always been a nice place and growing. When she lived off Dublin Rd, she compared the growing traffic jams with those she saw in Fairfax Co. VA where I lived. It seems jobs and wealth bring traffic, no matter where we live! Glad you're happy in the burbs of Dayton; I'm sure it's lovely. I was just comparing Toledo and Vienna, but I think you understood that.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:15 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
Of course. What I don't miss is the traffic and the cost of housing. We were in DC/NoVA/MD about a week ago and were shocked how much sprawl has occured there in the last 10-20 years! With any major city or growth comes traffic. I've noticed a slight increase where we are, but nothing compared to even Warren County or Delaware County suburbs. They need some MAJOR road updates in some places.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,268 times
I don't understand all this talk about Dayton, who cares? Isn't this forum about Toledo? Anyway I think that Toledo will always be major city in Ohio that will someday return to its former glory days. This may not happen for decades but many good things are happening to the area right now like a new sports arena. The limited amount of good jobs in the area is a huge problem though. My dad has to commute to Detroit everyday for his job after not being able to find another good job in the Toledo area. Toledo is lucky in its short distence to the Detroit area and being the crossroads of I-75, I-80, I-90 and I-475 (US 23).

Old 07-16-2007, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,791 times
Well, I grew up in Perrysburg, then moved to Raleigh NC for 5 years. I just came back this past fall (family). I have seen a positive change, particularly in the suburbs. I'm really hoping we can turn Toledo Metro around to something great! Here's hoping.
~Tonya

Old 07-25-2007, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 34,292 times
How do you like Toledo so far?

Old 08-09-2007, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,193 times
gotta post this....I grew up in Toledo and came back in 2003 to stay...for a while. I moved to go to NM, Fl, and for the 8 years, Houston, tx. In 2003 I came back to Toledo.
First off...I loved Houston. The people were great, the place reasonably clean, the gov't. not so corrupt. And everything you could want within 45 miles.
I brought my g/f from Houston at the time to Cedar Point. She fell in love with Ohio. To her, the people were more refreshing, more real, more friendly. She was blown away by Cedar Point. Nothing like it anywhere in the world.
So why is in not promoted?????
I come back for good...first J Fo then Carty as mayors. The architechts behind the strong mayor proposal. Both with serious ethics issues. I smell a rat.
My question is, why do the people here put up with this crap? I moved into Perrysburg to avoid the outrageous city taxes and because they leaders want to make it the best they can. Now that's a well-run city. The "regional mall" in Maumee is finally getting built after 20 years of bitching with toledo. There's no economic development director in Toledo unlike Wood co or Perrysburg. That job belongs to the the strong mayor..that he's not doing.
Where would you rather live? perrysburg or toledo?

Old 08-16-2007, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 22,928 times
Default Toledo in 20?

Good question, no Great question. As a born, raised, and educated young 33 year old from Toledo, I often ask my self the same question. I too am looking for a place to live and raise my family after I retire from the Army and embark on a second career.

After reading the responses in this forum I have to say you all have a pretty good pulse on what is going on in Toledo and the issues it faces as well as the greater Midwest.

Sure there is a morale problem with Toledoans and the population may be stagnate, but I have seen more good than bad as of late with the city. Now mind you I must admit that I have only been back to Toledo a handful of times since I graduated from UT in 2001, but by the grace of Uncle Sam and the wisdom of the US Army I have had the opportunity of living in some very different places. I think this has given me a unique perspective on where Toledo sits now and what it can be in the future.

First there was Killeen, Texas. This is your typical military town that is solely dependant on Fort Hood. Killeen’s economy fluctuates drastically as brigades rotate in and out of Iraq. I would never retire there, although Austin is attractive, a growing population with tech jobs to drive it, of course the “other” UT (U of Texas) is there to support it’s youth and artsy flare. Still it’s not Toledo. Although there are lessons to be learned form cities like Austin. Some one wrote there is no night life in Toledo. Well, there is no 6th Street as in Austin. As a young single soldier I found the place to be a gold mind to mingle and meet new people. Your right Toledo needs much improvement in this area.

Then there was Korea, 17 kilometers from the DMZ and as many visits to Seoul as I could. Seoul is a city that has no where else to move but up. Really, The Koreans have mastered the use of every available inch of space. Most of the new construction for housing is in 30 to 40 level apartment buildings. They stretch for miles and frankly ruin the landscape. The place is too crowded.
Then there was Tacoma, WA. You want to talk about a morale problem; this city is dogged with it. When I lived there the city was named the “Most Depressed” So sad, because I rather enjoyed the area. On the few clear sunny days the place is almost magical. With Puget Sound between the Olympic Mountains to the west and Mt. Rainier on the east, I could see setting my family there. Until I am reminded of the “Aroma of Tacoma”, it’s some odd order that fills the city like an un-kept laundry room.

Then there was Lawton, OK. Your panicle small western town, way too small but with crime problems similar to cities twice it’s size. There the term “going to the city” meant a 70 mile trip to Oklahoma City. I now live in Vicenza, Italy and really like it. Well my wife lives there with my son, I am in Afghanistan. But for the time that I was there I loved it. There was so much to see in a 40 mile radius. I can’t wait to get back. The Europeans try to hold on to the past and yet embrace the modern world. It’s an interesting clash of eras.

Now, for my beloved Toledo. There is so much potential not being met it hurts to see it from a distance. I see Toledo as the Transportation Hub of the future. The infrastructure is there to support this industry. It’s not what it needs to be right now, but with some investment it can be a dynamic place to do business. Toledo has it all, a triple threat if you will. Land, Air, and Sea. Toledo is THE central location for Rail and Truck haul, and an airport suited for cargo. Its rural location is perfect for expansion as a cargo hub plus it is close to major interstates, and yes Toledo has an International Sea Port.
Toledo needs to stop blaming its short comings on NAFTA. Without a doubt it had a role in the conditions we see today, but we shouldn’t let it end there. Toledo needs to embrace the way of the future… yes the so called ugly word “globalization”. How else can it survive? The world wants to do business with America, right? Well those multinational corporations need to move their products. I see Toledo as the place for them to it. With Toledo set as the most cost effective Transportation Hub for the American Market the international community will see the cost benefits of doing business in Toledo.
On one of the large metal tanks along the Maumee River and the I-75 bridge there are or were words painted on its side. It read, “Port of Toledo, your link to world markets” Now there is a foundation to build from. Someone had the right idea, but somewhere along the line it lost its steam or sense of expansion. I believe investment in this area can help move Toledo forward. What is the new old saying, “build it and they will come”, well expand Toledo’s transportation capability, and keep the cost of its use lower than other ports and the world will come. This just might transform the area, making Toledo a major league player in international business. This is what I think Toledo will look like in the future.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:17 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,134 times
Quote:
Even Columbus and Cincinnati, with stronger economies, are thoroughly ghettofied at the core
Not to dis this posters statements, some have some merit.
However, I must ask have you really driven around columbus' urban core?
Yes, it did loose population during the 50's 60's and 70's, but then in the late 80's and on columbus' innercity saw gentrification hit high.

If you drive through most of columbus' urban neighborhoods they are very fixed up and very vibrant. How can you call all of columbus' short north, german village, victorian village, clintonville, and italian village, and grandview areas as ghetto??? And these areas are all just next to downtown or near.

Columbus' fastest increasing property values (and actually in all of the METRO) are the neighborhoods just north of downtown, a condo there can cost close to a million now. Could you afford to live in one of the "ghetto" innercity columbus hoods? I assume not. Maybe a visit down to columbus and actually exploring the city neighborhoods would help you. Columbus has many high end restaurants, hip bars, high end clothing stores in the gentrified short north and other urban neighborhoods.

Now, Columbus' inner city population stats are still lower than when people lived in the inner city and all had 5 kids and wife and husband. This is not the 1940's.

Many living in and around downtown use private schools, and most places are occupied by singles, couples, and if their is kids family sizes are smaller. Population loss doesn't always mean that a innercity isn't vibrant, and columbus is an example of that, and Ohio should be grateful there's a city like that in Ohio.

Now, of course columbus still has some fallout areas in its innercity, columbus has the most potential of any Ohio innercity of seeing a fully gentrified urban core in the next 20 years. Columbus' neighborhoods of more poverty even have highend mansions and fixed up property coexisting with the poverty. Columbus' only true poor neighborhoods that can resemble entire sections of cleveland or cincinatti are Linden and the Franklinton. I am guessing you were in one of those areas, or you did not really explore the nice neighborhoods, or you haven't been to columbus in 10 years.

Columbus also has a strong retail scene in its urban neighborhoods. Columbus' downtown may not be as strong as Cinci or Cleveland, but they are working on that too, population figures there have increased by over a 1,000 in just the last 3 years.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:30 AM

542 posts, read 1,928,219 times
I've lived in Toledo all my life. I will soon be leaving with my 9 year old daughter out west. My main reason is finding a job in my field. I have a degree in broadcast communications and Toledo just isn't the place to find employment. Unless you want to work in news you won't find anything here. I personally don't like news (been there done that), and other then that you're going to have to leave. There is one cablesystem but they have a choke hold on things in the area with absolutely no competition which means they are doing what they want to do and hire who they want to hire. The only place I've seen where someones neighbor can come in get a job answering the phone and next thing you know they have "producer" behind their name!! WTF!!!! Meanwhile people with degrees can't get a foot in the door. I'm OUT OF HERE!!!
On the other hand I do think Toledo is a good place to raise children... if you can find a job to support them!! If you're in the medical field you will do alright I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo