Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:54 AM

800 posts, read 730,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addzz View Post
Well it’s up for rich guys to decide if they want someone who’s after their wallet I guess. I’d be brining a lot in assets to Canada but sounds like I’m best hiding them. Gold diggers are terrible, terrible people. But I guess some people will marry another just on looks, male or female. So where do you draw the line on what’s acceptable to form a relationship? I enjoy being on my own, let’s me live a good lifestyle.

I’m curious though why do a lot go mad for money anyhow, surely despite high living costs and lots of seemingly poor young people, there must be an abundance of rich people they can bleed dry?
I find the comments on someone finding s guy attractive because he has a car or “Mercedes” difficult to wrap my head around. Here a Mercedes is considered a really bog standard vehicle. Well better than average but no head turner. I guess people see a car and think it’s costly to run so know what income they’d be on? I find this oddly fascinating, the cultural differences. I’ve met very, very few gold diggers here, it’s just not a british thing really.
Canada isn’t so bad neither. Though you will hear they want to marry rich, they seldom actually do. Don’t worry so much about gold digger girls here they care more about glitz and glamor. So I guess clout chasers more than gold diggers.So unless you an entertainer or something they won’t go full groupie.

What industry you in bro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 03:58 AM

47 posts, read 38,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
Canada isn’t so bad neither. Though you will hear they want to marry rich, they seldom actually do. Don’t worry so much about gold digger girls here they care more about glitz and glamor. So I guess clout chasers more than gold diggers.So unless you an entertainer or something they won’t go full groupie.

What industry you in bro?
Sounds good. I really can’t wait to come. I dread being in the skilled worker pool for a year and hearing nothing about an invitation to apply. I have a standard job in financial services, my income comes from property investment. Buying and flipping or keeping and renting to students.
A £350k student house here will generate you a smooth £35k annual return, which in CAD is something like $60k, pretty much like having a decent job. That’s the big reason I want to move, the financial benefit, people in the UK often pull 60 hour weeks and face retirement at 70. In Canada I could retire young, nicer city, in my opinion better people. It’s hard to make friends with Brits, we’re so private and reserved. I always found Canadians and Americans are much easier and open to talking to strangers. If you get in an eleveator in England I guarantee people will ride it top to bottom in silence. I have few friends here, people are just socially difficult.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:47 PM

17 posts, read 14,020 times
Indeed, Toronto is a desolate wasteland when it comes to socializing and entertainment pursuits. This is largely due to the fact that it's a city that promotes functionality over leisure, and this mentality is evident throughout its structure and design. At the core, Toronto is a city for working 8 hours a day and coming home to a decent-sized living space.

As you can see, there is little room for imagination here. Most North American cities are not far too different from Toronto in this respect. Compared to cities in Europe, Toronto is far more bland, boring, and depressing. This is one of the main reasons why it's one of the unhappiest cities in Canada. Take careful note of this. Toronto is extremely developed (both economically and culturally speaking). There is a very high standard of living, and the costs are expensive as the sky is high. But, as indicators show, this does not guarantee happiness. The wealth of materialism is exceptionally profound in this city. Residents take pride in material possessions, rather than interpersonal relationships. Work schedules are stable and routine - it's a non-stop cycle, every day, the same thing over and over again. There's no creativity on a daily basis. Torontonians have become mindless robots.

Another powerful factor of Toronto's atrocious lack of sociability comes from its immensely poor chemistry between racial and ethnic boundaries. Yes, Canada, and Toronto as its beacon of liberalism, does pride itself on being inclusive and multicultural. And yes, this should be a good thing (at least in theory). However, in the real world, we all know that this fallacy is anything but ideal. Toronto is built on ethnic and religious enclaves. Yes, you could say it's more "integrated" than the United States, but it is another country. For Canadian standards, Toronto's integration levels are relatively poor. Most of its major suburbs are dominated by a single, overwhelming majority (Blacks in Scarborough, Indians in Brampton, Asians in Markham). While it is true that diversity can be found in pretty much any of these, it does not seem integration is occurring in the majority's favor. People segregate themselves because they want to, not because they can.

At the end of day, the vast majority of Torontonians seclude with other members of their kind. This rings very true for minorities in particular, where it is natural for them to feel closer connections with others who speak the same language, practice the same religion, and are from the same country. Group cohesion is especially noticeable in a city like Toronto. Socializing is hard because everyone keeps to themselves, and your tastes need to be very specific in order for you to have a chance. Friend circles are closely knit. People are unwilling to be as open towards others because there are so many different nationalities that you are unfamiliar with. There is little sense of "brotherhood and unity", as leftists so desperately wish to impose on us. There is only division and suspicion, which is what makes socializing a menace in Toronto.

This is not to say that it is impossible to have fun in Toronto. Yes, there are nice clubs, bars, and restaurants that you can visit. There are plenty of "tourist" attractions that you can scout out and have a look around. But it really is nothing special. Toronto is a city based on logic, not emotion. It caters to psychological needs, not wants. For the basics, it is a perfect spot. For the extra, for all the "stuff" that you can find in Europe, for example, it is lagging behind severely.

In other words, its modernity is what prevents the happiness factor from going upwards. Unlike European cities, Toronto is extremely young and was only founded some centuries ago. Archaic infrastructure, town squares, and historic landmarks are non-existent. I'd even argue that some American cities beat Toronto by even these standards. Although North American cities are relatively identical in terms of these criteria, cities in states like Florida and California have the tropical environment to make up for it. Cities with palm trees and desert beaches are somewhat more unorthodox by Western standards, so this exotic twist is what keeps their ratings high. But Toronto is your standard city with snowfall six months of the year, and unbearable heat for two, with the other two months in transition between summer and winter, as there really are only two seasons in Southern Ontario for the most part.

This is why Toronto is not a sociable city. You can "feel" its unimaginative and robust nature, because it rejects those very feelings that create happiness. As progressive as it is, by global standards, Canada does not have much to brag about.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:42 PM

92 posts, read 109,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Gino View Post
Are people here anti social or what? the women here are absolotely reclusive and narcisstic and stuck up it takes a long time to get laid here its very hard to get laid in Toronto unless if theirs that 2/10 scale girl that is desperate for sex although she is very hideous here in Toronto the 10/10 women are inaccessible and I don't know whats with this place but people here are just dynamically dysfuntioned and have no interest at all in meeting new people I don't know if its me or them but ive been living here my whole life and I regret living here I wanna MOVE! I have been on vacation to many places and in my entire life in Paris and London I have never met so many women and even in Montreal! the eye contact is there with the women and the conservativeness is put aside the women all over the world I met are something compared to the nothing they have here in Toronto... read this article this might give you and idea what Toronto is really like but my question is why? why is Toronto like this?

15 Reasons Why Toronto Is The Worst City In North America For Men
It really seems more and more females are sticking with their own kind, thats what women truly want unless men pay them in one way or other, pay for a date, or pay for a house, or give them a daughter.

But wow, the times I visited Toronto walking on the side walks on young st. My God those women look so so so good in dresses when theyre walking in front of me-----I guess theyre just too pretty and hot for the likes of me and so many other guys as you specified in your post.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:17 AM

669 posts, read 321,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlar Vixen View Post
This is why Toronto is not a sociable city. You can "feel" its unimaginative and robust nature, because it rejects those very feelings that create happiness. As progressive as it is, by global standards, Canada does not have much to brag about.
I overall agree with your descriptive statement. Not sure how long you've been around the city, but 15-20 years ago, it was known as concrete jungle. Now it's changed to glass towers. More recently, the vibrant small shop food and bar scene has made it more well rounded.

But at the root, it is still this bland, concrete jungle. The shops when you look closer (or read Toronto Life/BlogTO) are just the same stuff. Unimaginative, pricey bistros, $20+ cocktails, craft bars, etc. that is similar to many other Hipster focused developments across N. America.

I always said, if it wasn't for my upbringing here, family still here, I'd definitely would have considered living elsewhere.

It's really still a 'small town' disguised as a somewhat 'big' city.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:30 AM

669 posts, read 321,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringOnDaFunk View Post
I have to say I think this is a brilliant answer that explains a lot.

As a music producer with some success, I've had the opportunity to live and visit all over the world. I've been for about a year in Toronto, and find it cold as ice socially, colder than anywhere I've ever been. People just don't open up - I've thought it's out of fear or something, I guess. dunno.

Though the response quoted above really makes it all much clearer.

Especially the part about cultural integration. In the beginning it seems like a wonderland of lots of different peoples, but the longer you're here the more you realize it's as segregated (and people are just as racist) as anywhere.

Generally people here seem scared to actually live life, or to show any passion for life. Everyone's guard is up as high as the CN tower.
I agree with sentiments and observations having lived here pretty much all my life.

Like most cities, Toronto has changed alot in the last 10 years alone.

Combination of demographics changing to a more self-identifiable, smug type (sorry younger millennials, but it's true) as well as the rise in Condo centricity. Adding to that elite feel. Go back to the 90s, and it was a much more fun, relaxed, organic place, with many open minded people you'll meet. Back when it wasn't about 'how many sq ft is your place?'.

But there's a reason why many parts of Europe's economy has been in the doldrums and people escaping due to no jobs and future really unless you're some kind of visitor, etc.. because of that party, why work, aristocratic live off other's riches attitude that has fundamentally impacted it, while a place like Toronto escaped the financial crisis unscathed. Cold hard work obsession.

Toronto is really meant for those that grew up here, and thus have established family and friendships with property bought at pre-2013 levels. That means steady, boring but sufficient. Stuff younger, social connection wanting people won't like.

I've always said, Torontonians like to act like they're 'big league' but really, we're a small town masquerading as a big city. And in small towns, they have the mentality of "keep your business to yourself otherwise the whole town will know about it". Which leads to having that wall up.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:30 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,128,415 times
Even the suburban nabes have a forewarning in their names, such as Burnhamthorpe; Boredomtorpor. Yes, Toronto is hopelessly callous.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:19 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
I've always found Torontonians to be polite and reasonably friendly, but they cut off the contact fairly quickly and go back to their business. For a city of its nature it is surprisingly "clannish". Not necessarily in a racial/ethnic terms (though that can exist too), but in a "people you know" kind of way.

You really need a good "in" in order to penetrate social circles. For example if you go to a bar or a pub if you're there for a long time it's fairly rare for conversations to "jump" tables and for strangers to start mingling and chatting - compared to many other places I've known.

Bartenders are also much less likely to make small talk outside of the transactional and required politeness.

BTW, I don't find it's just Toronto that is like this. Canada west of the Ottawa River tends to be like this. Quebec and Atlantic Canada are quite different in this respect - so it's probably not only a French-English "language" thing.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:44 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
AJ, your post is bugging me a bit, for reasons I'm having a hard time putting my finger on. As you know, I'm a native Torontonian, so let's see if we can break it down, paragraph by paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've always found Torontonians to be polite and reasonably friendly, but they cut off the contact fairly quickly and go back to their business. For a city of its nature it is surprisingly "clannish". Not necessarily in a racial/ethnic terms (though that can exist too), but in a "people you know" kind of way.
You're right and you're wrong here. Torontonians aren't necessarily quick and anxious to get back to their business; they just don't talk to strangers unless it's absolutely necessary. That's their nature. They learn to ignore people they don't know, because so many of them want something (spare change, cigarettes, converts to their religion, a come-on of some sort). Of course, not all of them do, but better safe than sorry.

When I moved to western Canada, I was surprised at strangers who greeted me on a simple walk through the neighbourhood. It might be a "Good afternoon," or just a nod of the head, but such things would never happen in Toronto. It took me a while, but I eventually shook my Toronto habits, and learned to cheerfully greet people I encounter on a walk, knowing that they will do nothing more than cheerfully greet me back.

Quote:
You really need a good "in" in order to penetrate social circles. For example if you go to a bar or a pub if you're there for a long time it's fairly rare for conversations to "jump" tables and for strangers to start mingling and chatting - compared to many other places I've known.
Doesn't that depend on one's definition of "a long time"? If it's a couple of hours; then no, you are correct. But if you've been going to that bar or pub for a couple of years, say at least once a week, I'd be surprised if you hadn't developed personal relationships among the regulars and bar staff.

Conversations can "jump" tables, but it depends on the topic. I've certainly had any number of conversations with strangers at Woodbine Racetrack, on the subject of today's races. Anybody, anywhere, dissing the Blue Jays, Maple Leafs, or Argos, will hear about it from somebody. The weather is always a safe topic--but why is a stranger talking to me about the weather? They must want something (see above).

Quote:
Bartenders are also much less likely to make small talk outside of the transactional and required politeness.
I would disagree; but again, it depends on the topic, and how you begin small talk. Topics such as weather and sports are good, as are certain current events ("How can the Queen streetcar jump the tracks?") but avoid politics and religion and anything controversial. That will limit any further conversation to nothing more than, "Would you like another drink?"

I had a great evening in the Library Bar of the Royal York Hotel one time, with the barman. I was having a drink at the bar, and doing the New York Times Sunday crossword, and between the two of us, we solved it. I didn't ask for help, but as I learned, he was a crossword fan too. We had a great chat about crosswords and other puzzles.

Quote:
BTW, I don't find it's just Toronto that is like this. Canada west of the Ottawa River tends to be like this. Quebec and Atlantic Canada are quite different in this respect - so it's probably not only a French-English "language" thing.
I don't find this west of the Ottawa River. I've met many nice and friendly people in southern Ontario cities (Kingston, Belleville, London, Windsor, among others), as well as Sudbury and Thunder Bay (the barman at the Boston Pizza in Thunder Bay wanted to help me with my crossword puzzle too). Despite not wearing green, I was welcomed into a Regina sports bar during a Riders game (as long as I cheered for the Riders, of course) Had a great time at a Vancouver coffee bar on Robson Street chatting with strangers about nothing in particular. I could list many more examples, but I won't bore you.

It's not a west of the Ottawa River thing. It's a Toronto thing.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:01 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,144 times
This thread is promoting an article about Toronto by Daryush Valizadeh?!

Good grief. No wonder some of you people have trouble socializing and making friends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosh_V

I'm tired of people bumping these threads to whine and not looking in the mirror.

That article is one of the most embarrassing, immature, ridiculius things I've ever glanced over.

This is the very definition of incel *******s. I didn't even find it offensive. It's absolutely hilarious.

Here's the link I forgot to quote if anybody wants a good laugh at a pathetic excuse for a human being.

https://www.rooshv.com/15-reasons-wh...merica-for-men

The "I can't get laid" self pity might be the most embarrassing trend going today. Read the comment section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlar Vixen View Post
Indeed, Toronto is a desolate wasteland when it comes to socializing and entertainment pursuits. This is largely due to the fact that it's a city that promotes functionality over leisure, and this mentality is evident throughout its structure and design. At the core, Toronto is a city for working 8 hours a day and coming home to a decent-sized living space.

As you can see, there is little room for imagination here. Most North American cities are not far too different from Toronto in this respect. Compared to cities in Europe, Toronto is far more bland, boring, and depressing. This is one of the main reasons why it's one of the unhappiest cities in Canada. Take careful note of this. Toronto is extremely developed (both economically and culturally speaking). There is a very high standard of living, and the costs are expensive as the sky is high. But, as indicators show, this does not guarantee happiness. The wealth of materialism is exceptionally profound in this city. Residents take pride in material possessions, rather than interpersonal relationships. Work schedules are stable and routine - it's a non-stop cycle, every day, the same thing over and over again. There's no creativity on a daily basis. Torontonians have become mindless robots.

Another powerful factor of Toronto's atrocious lack of sociability comes from its immensely poor chemistry between racial and ethnic boundaries. Yes, Canada, and Toronto as its beacon of liberalism, does pride itself on being inclusive and multicultural. And yes, this should be a good thing (at least in theory). However, in the real world, we all know that this fallacy is anything but ideal. Toronto is built on ethnic and religious enclaves. Yes, you could say it's more "integrated" than the United States, but it is another country. For Canadian standards, Toronto's integration levels are relatively poor. Most of its major suburbs are dominated by a single, overwhelming majority (Blacks in Scarborough, Indians in Brampton, Asians in Markham). While it is true that diversity can be found in pretty much any of these, it does not seem integration is occurring in the majority's favor. People segregate themselves because they want to, not because they can.

At the end of day, the vast majority of Torontonians seclude with other members of their kind. This rings very true for minorities in particular, where it is natural for them to feel closer connections with others who speak the same language, practice the same religion, and are from the same country. Group cohesion is especially noticeable in a city like Toronto. Socializing is hard because everyone keeps to themselves, and your tastes need to be very specific in order for you to have a chance. Friend circles are closely knit. People are unwilling to be as open towards others because there are so many different nationalities that you are unfamiliar with. There is little sense of "brotherhood and unity", as leftists so desperately wish to impose on us. There is only division and suspicion, which is what makes socializing a menace in Toronto.

This is not to say that it is impossible to have fun in Toronto. Yes, there are nice clubs, bars, and restaurants that you can visit. There are plenty of "tourist" attractions that you can scout out and have a look around. But it really is nothing special. Toronto is a city based on logic, not emotion. It caters to psychological needs, not wants. For the basics, it is a perfect spot. For the extra, for all the "stuff" that you can find in Europe, for example, it is lagging behind severely.

In other words, its modernity is what prevents the happiness factor from going upwards. Unlike European cities, Toronto is extremely young and was only founded some centuries ago. Archaic infrastructure, town squares, and historic landmarks are non-existent. I'd even argue that some American cities beat Toronto by even these standards. Although North American cities are relatively identical in terms of these criteria, cities in states like Florida and California have the tropical environment to make up for it. Cities with palm trees and desert beaches are somewhat more unorthodox by Western standards, so this exotic twist is what keeps their ratings high. But Toronto is your standard city with snowfall six months of the year, and unbearable heat for two, with the other two months in transition between summer and winter, as there really are only two seasons in Southern Ontario for the most part.

With a cynical attitude and rant like that, I do not doubt you find Toronto a desolate wasteland to socialize.

Sometimes it's just easy to blame everything on others. Good luck, bro.

Last edited by Stoke; 12-23-2019 at 07:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto