Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 PM

800 posts, read 731,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
We're not going to agree on this though I am disappointed that you didn't even say a thing about what happened in NYC. So again I will remind you - The NYPD apprehended a terrorist suspect ALIVE so this is not just a 'Canadian' approach.

He's still very handsome the way he is. I wasn't really getting at whether you think America doesn't have problems or not - i know you are aware of that as we all are. We got em too. What i was getting at was part of that video's message is to think before you shoot and yes, maybe a bit of compassion is in order.
I can’t comment on Nypd as I don’t know what happened. It would be 100% opinion with no facts if I answered. Did he threaten to kill the cops like the Toronto one? If not I can see why he was taken alive. But this situation has happened multiple times in that city with many different results. And the fact is. No one questions what will happen to you or you threaten New York. We seen what happens with 911. Let’s not act like toronto is on that scale because it likely never will be. You hit nyc you will be heavily penalized. Toronto has no history of this so everything that happens now sets the tone for the future. I would rather have people know that if they mess with me or my family they will lose their life. Don’t think that’s Rambo. I think that’s being male.

At the end of the day. History proves human life doesn’t really mean much. Unfortunately. Protect your own and those within yoUr borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 08:52 PM

35,094 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Pierre Elliot Trudeau has been dead for over a decade.
He lives on through his sperm, now holding office of PM.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
I can’t comment on Nypd as I don’t know what happened. It would be 100% opinion with no facts if I answered. Did he threaten to kill the cops like the Toronto one? If not I can see why he was taken alive. But this situation has happened multiple times in that city with many different results.
Well the suspect in Toronto didn't threaten to kill 'cops' he threatened to kill the single cop who was arresting him. A cop btw who was clearly more aware of the level of threat to himself and the public than either one of us. A cop who probably saw the guy was packing umm a cell phone. Anyway, the cop used his judgment as did the cops in NYC use their when they decided to apprehend a suspect who was as great a threat as Minassian was. The terrorist in question in NYC, also had just mowed down Eight people......

Quote:
And the fact is. No one questions what will happen to you or you threaten New York. We seen what happens with 911. Let’s not act like toronto is on that scale because it likely never will be. You hit nyc you will be heavily penalized. Toronto has no history of this so everything that happens now sets the tone for the future. I would rather have people know that if they mess with me or my family they will lose their life. Don’t think that’s Rambo. I think that’s being male.
Not a lot to say to this really I find it odd you'd be using this don't mess with NYC stuff. NYC is well a city - it isn't the President of the United States or the Congress - entities with real power when it comes to a declaration of war. So yeah, i don't get what you mean by - don't mess with NYC. As for the Male stuff - this is all too simplistic. Not all males are A or B and not all situations are black and white.. Personally, I prefer the Barack Obama's of the world vs the Donald Trump's.

Quote:
At the end of the day. History proves human life doesn’t really mean much. Unfortunately. Protect your own and those within yoUr borders.
I prefer to look at the world in more spherical boundaries than national and where all human life matters. The future isn't predicated by the past, it is what we make of it.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Well the suspect in Toronto didn't threaten to kill 'cops' he threatened to kill the single cop who was arresting him. A cop btw who was clearly more aware of the level of threat to himself and the public than either one of us. A cop who probably saw the guy was packing umm a cell phone. Anyway, the cop used his judgment as did the cops in NYC use their when they decided to apprehend a suspect who was as great a threat as Minassian was. The terrorist in question in NYC, also had just mowed down Eight people......

Not a lot to say to this really I find it odd you'd be using this don't mess with NYC stuff. NYC is well a city - it isn't the President of the United States or the Congress - entities with real power when it comes to a declaration of war. So yeah, i don't get what you mean by - don't mess with NYC. As for the Male stuff - this is all too simplistic. Not all males are A or B and not all situations are black and white.. Personally, I prefer the Barack Obama's of the world vs the Donald Trump's.

I prefer to look at the world in more spherical boundaries than national and where all human life matters. The future isn't predicated by the past, it is what we make of it.
Ok I get it you think sparing his life is the right thing to do. I ain’t here to change your mind. You aren’t going to change mine. And I know my “way” is valued by certain entities and organizations.

And Obama, the man who issues drone strikes to kills thousands of innocents is the wrong person to reference. Matter of fact I bet you he would be offended. You are more thinking of ghandi and mother Theresa. Not a us president. None of them hesitate to kill. Ie osama bin laden. All of them are corrupt. I wouldnt use Barack Obama as a moral compass. As clearly shown various times. You only believe what the media tells you. Like that can’t be falsified

Old 05-21-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Ok I get it you think sparing his life is the right thing to do. I ain’t here to change your mind. You aren’t going to change mine. And I know my “way” is valued by certain entities and organizations.
Which 'entities' and 'organizations'

Old 05-21-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Which 'entities' and 'organizations'
The ones that matter.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
The ones that matter.
Since you are being cryptic, i'll respond in kind.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:23 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,535,357 times
Quote:
Ok I get it you think sparing his life is the right thing to do.
If it could be done, it was absolutely the right thing to do. During the confrontation, the cop was acting on very limited knowledge about what had just happened. It would not have been clear if the killer was acting alone or had accomplices which presented a current or future danger to the public elsewhere in the city. You can’t interrogate someone after you shoot him dead.

Shooting him dead before he could be questioned could have resulted in many other people losing their lives. I’m sure that thought crossed the cop’s mind.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
And Obama, the man who issues drone strikes to kills thousands of innocents is the wrong person to reference. Matter of fact I bet you he would be offended. You are more thinking of ghandi and mother Theresa. Not a us president. None of them hesitate to kill. Ie osama bin laden. All of them are corrupt. I wouldnt use Barack Obama as a moral compass. As clearly shown various times. You only believe what the media tells you. Like that can’t be falsified
No person who holds high office is without his blemishes. That said, he was a damn side more thoughtful on most issues than what occupies that office RN. Don't just dismiss someone as being a media puppet. You don't have ownership of free will and independent thought even though i know it comforts you to think you do.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
If it could be done, it was absolutely the right thing to do. During the confrontation, the cop was acting on very limited knowledge about what had just happened. It would not have been clear if the killer was acting alone or had accomplices which presented a current or future danger to the public elsewhere in the city. You can’t interrogate someone after you shoot him dead.

Shooting him dead before he could be questioned could have resulted in many other people losing their lives.
I totally agree - there is a treasure trove of information to be gained with Minassian alive vs dead. It is also totally false that the made in America approach to these instances is to shoot em dead. Not all cops everywhere are the same and that includes in the U.S. Toronto has its share of trigger happy cops in the past and it could be that Minassian was just lucky he had the cop he did, the outcome could have been very much different if it had been another member of the TPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto