Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 07:08 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,767,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Unless or until that changes, why would I want to risk $15-20K to see if it's really true that the domestics have improved their quality/reliability?

To help the prosperity of your country and fellow countrymen? Call it a small sacrifice if it doesn't work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 10:09 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
To help the prosperity of your country and fellow countrymen?

I feel like I'm doing just that....every Toyota I've owned was Made in the USA.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
I feel like I'm doing just that....every Toyota I've owned was Made in the USA.
What models?

The overall profit from that "American" Toyota ends up in.... dun dun dun... Japan.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 PM

782 posts, read 3,790,366 times
Quote:
I feel like I'm doing just that....every Toyota I've owned was ASSEMBLE in the USA.
I fix that for you. What are the American part content on your toyota?

Old 11-07-2009, 07:49 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
I fix that for you. What are the American part content on your toyota?

I have no idea...but the last few came with Delphi batteries.

Even domestic cars aren't 100% American content.

All I know is that well-paid Americans assembled my Toyotas, transported the finished cars, sold them to me, and in the unlikely event that they need repairs....Americans will do that.

How is that any worse than buying a domestic that was assembled in Mexico?

And for the umpteenth time, profits made by public companies are distributed to the shareholders...who live all over the world. One Toyota shareholder that I know of lives in Virginia...ME!

Don't get me wrong, I have no particular affinity for Toyotas....I've just had very good luck with them. If I ever get a bad one...it's over, Toyota will join Ford on my "I'll never buy another one" list!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:21 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
To help the prosperity of your country and fellow countrymen? Call it a small sacrifice if it doesn't work out.

Your talking about those manufaturers ;laborers and dealers who could a careless for their customers to the point of being where they are for a reason. They made thier bed so now they have to0 sleep in it is reality. It like a contractor who does crummy work ;no one would hire them again. We yhave heard those we are better since the 70's recession. If they really believe that then offer a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty.They should ahve thought of their fellow american before this.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:

And for the umpteenth time, profits made by public companies are distributed to the shareholders...who live all over the world. One Toyota shareholder that I know of lives in Virginia...ME!
And all the white collar workers in Japan get paid how? From their good looks? Before Toyota started building a few factories here, all were assembled in Japan, shipped from Japan, etc. What would you say then?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Because I use it for camping, I buy vans or wagons. When Toyota Sienna came out with run-flat tires, I asked the dealer if he would drive that van to Alaska. He just laughed. Toyota work cars are now designed for soccer moms to drive to their hairdresser. I've had four Toyotas in a row, and of course, I'd have a few misgivings about any car. But they are basically bullet-proof. As to the original OP, I do not choose a car with the intention of hitting a ready-mix truck head-on, so the safety rating is pretty immaterial to me, as are anecdotal reports of freak bizarro-world floor-mat events. By the time I use up a car, there is already a heel-hole all the way through the floor mat.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:56 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And all the white collar workers in Japan get paid how? From their good looks? Before Toyota started building a few factories here, all were assembled in Japan, shipped from Japan, etc. What would you say then?
These arguments are tiresome. So if you buy a Ford Fusion assembled mostly in Mexico with only 40% domestic content - is that bad because we are paying wages to Mexican factory workers?

Is there a magic number for domestic content where it's OK to buy?

Is it better if the vehicle is assembled in Canada because they're not Japan or Korea?

What about the Saturn Astra? That is a domestic brand. The car is designed and assembled in Belgium. But is it OK to buy that because it is (was) a GM brand? The only white collars that get paid for that car are the execs and the marketers.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:40 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What models?

The overall profit from that "American" Toyota ends up in.... dun dun dun... Japan.
And most of the profit from the big three end up in the pockets of the CEO and other top people. If you don't mind paying their salary and for their 4 or 5 homes or their jets, then go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion