Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 12:47 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,228,359 times

Advertisements

I've always thought Toyota had the quality vs. quantity advantage. Years ago when Honda and Toyota weren't the size of the big three American companies, they could focus more on building quality cars in small numbers. The big three on the other hand were pumping out cars like maniacs keeping up with demand. Now the climate has shifted. Toyota and Honda are getting bigger and having to beef up manufacturing to keep up while domestic makers are scaling down and focusing on building quality cars. So within the next 10 years I bet your going to see Asian makes becoming crappier and less reliable while domestic cars become more reliable. Except for maybe Chrysler, you just never know with them. Look at the new Ford Taurus and Chevrolet Malibu for example, great styling and they're getting awesome reviews. Accord and Camry are boring and underpowered in comparison. rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 02:53 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,181,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Good to know Ion, my dh has been eyeing those FJ Cruisers.
You can DM me if you would like more details. I have always had sporty type, small cars (Ion Redline, 350Z, Scion TC), and never really wanted an SUV. Then I moved to Texas, where everyone has a huge land mass. I had always really liked the styling of the FJ. I went and test drove a fair number of SUV's. As soon as I drove off the lot in one, I knew I had to have it.

And, I was involved in a serious accident recently, and, while my FJ got totalled (a Grand Cherokee T-Boned us when they had a stop sign) and it flipped over, we walked away with barely a scratch. Needless to say, I went and got another one two days later.

They are getting increasingly hard to find, and have really kept their value high

Old 10-01-2009, 03:08 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,580,764 times
I know several people who have FJ's and they love them and havenever had a problem with them.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:44 PM

17,220 posts, read 57,129,353 times
To my eye, the 2007 make-over of the Camry is, frankly, fugly. The 2 iterations before it are better looking, don't have the damned drive-by-wire throttle, and are avaliable used all over.

Although, as far as an appliance car, I am well set with the 87.

To be fair, I think BMW have lost their way worse than Toyota have - they have not made a car I would want to own in a *long* time.

Technology for technology's sake - sod that, sez I...

Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,296,130 times
It is not just a problem with Toyota. This problem is more common than you would realize. When I worked for Ford in the 80's and 90's they had the same problem with several models. I owned a 5.0 Mustang back then that did it to me on more than one occasion. Talk about an E ticket ride!

Old 10-01-2009, 05:38 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,918,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is completely false. They went from the best, most reliable cars in the world....
1990 Toyota Camry reviews

Camry Ultima (http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/camry/r85771/ - broken link)
2.0 EFi Twin Cam
Australia and New Zealand
1353 words
One of the best cars anyone could get for cheap. Will become a classic car
4 comments (http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/camry/r85771/comments/ - broken link)
Camry DX (http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/camry/r111165/ - broken link)
I4
North America
541 words
Best investment I've ever made
Camry Base Model
2.0 liter 4 cylinder
North America
470 words
Wonderful, fun little car
Camry LE
2.0L EFI SOHC I4 (3S-FE)
North America
465 words
A good car if you can accept the limitations
1 comment
Camry DX
2.0 gasoline
North America
375 words
If you want reliability, don't think twice about getting this car
Camry DX TRD
2.0L 16v DOHC
North America
353 words
Reliability & Power Cleverly Disguised!
4 comments
Camry DX (http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/camry/r97442/ - broken link)
2.0 liter 4-cylinder
North America
343 words
This car is very durable, dependable, and cheap to operate
1 comment (http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/camry/r97442/comments/ - broken link)
Camry DX
2.0, 4 cylinder.
North America
340 words
Reliable, generic, overall a mixed bag
Camry CSX
336 words
Camry CSX = Trooper..
2 comments
Camry
2.0 Carby
266 words
If only all cars were built like this
2 comments
Camry DX
V6
North America
238 words
Sports car masquerading as family sedan, but be prepared for rust
2 comments
Camry
2.0 liter
North America
214 words
It is reliable, quick, and easy to maintain
Camry DX
3S-FE 2.0L I4
North America
213 words
A car that is bolted together as if to last an eternity
4 comments
Camry
North America
212 words
I would buy another one, when this one finally wears out
Camry SE Station Wagon
2.0 petrol
186 words
We would buy another one tomorrow if they still made them
Camry
North America
158 words
A solid ride that will last forever
1 comment
Camry CS Wagon SV21
2.0 EFi
154 words
Boring, but brilliant
1 comment
Camry LE V6
2.5 V6
North America
153 words
A very safe car!
Camry
North America
146 words
I am pleased with the overall performance and appearance of this 15 year old car!
Camry LE
2.0L 16v 3- SFE
North America
141 words
"No wonder it is the best selling car in North America"
3 comments
Camry LE
V6 2.5 L
North America
134 words
Reliable and made to last
Camry 4WD
4 cyclinder 2.2litre
North America
131 words
A very sporty car worthy to take on any Souped up street racer
Camry CSX
2.0 litre DOHC EFi
127 words
A great practical open road performer
Camry DX
North America
107 words
Highly overrated
Camry DX (http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/camry/r72522/ - broken link)
North America
102 words
Very reliable, economic, pretty comfy, not sporty
Camry
2.0L four cylinder
North America
101 words
Great, Well Built, Solid Car
Camry Station Wagon DX
V6
North America
98 words
Toyota Camry's are awesome cars
Camry DX
North America
95 words
I did my homework in 1990 and I'll be buying another Toyota
1 comment
Camry CSX
2.0 Litre
Japan
90 words
An economical, comfortable, and value for money car
1 comment
Camry LE
2.5 V6
North America
88 words
Great car. I would tell everybody to buy Toyota
Camry LE
2.0L 4 cylinder.
North America
79 words
Fabulous in every way
3 comments
Camry CSX
2.0L 16v Electronic Fuel Injection
67 words
A low cost reliable bargain
Camry DX
2.0 L 4 cylinder
North America
49 words
I recommend you buy one for a long commitment
Camry DX
North America
49 words
If you can find an old low mileage model - grab it!
Camry DX
V6
North America
39 words
The Camry sucks!
7 comments
Camry
4 cylinder
North America
24 words
Perfect second car
Camry LX Wagon
North America
17 words
2 comments

Source: 1990 Toyota Camry Reviews - Carsurvey.org

To total garbage that not one person is happy with...

2006 Toyota Camry reviews

Camry LE
3.0 V6
North America
292 words
A very unwise decision
88 comments
Camry LE
3.0L
North America
292 words
A bad choice
1 comment
Camry LE
3.0 V6
North America
235 words
A big disappointment
10 comments
Camry LE
3.0 - V6
North America
187 words
JUNK
7 comments
Camry
North America
163 words
This thing was a real STOPPER @ THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT
308 comments
Camry SE
4 cylinder
North America
88 words
This car is over priced

Camry LXI (http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/camry/r95305/ - broken link)
2.4 petrol
Qatar
54 words
Okay

Source: 2006 Toyota Camry Reviews - Carsurvey.org
You are so anti-Toyota it's not even funny. Let me know what u drive and I'll selectively pull more negative comments than you can on the Camry

Old 10-01-2009, 08:58 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,683,601 times
I worked at a Chevy dealer when I was a kid (early 70's). I remember a recall I worked on. The '72 Impala (or Caprice, I can't remember which) had a nasty habit of breaking the left motor mount which allowed the motor to lift up and bind the throttle linkage which could cause a stuck throttle situation.

The recall "fix" was to remove an exhaust manifold bolt, thread a little piece of chain through the A-frame, stick the manifold bolt through both ends of the chain ane re-install the bolt. Voila, fixed! If the mount broke, the chain kept the motor down. I did hundreds of these "factory modifications".

To the OP...your bias against Toyota is blatant. Even if this current problem put Toyota out-of-business, which of course it won't....the benificiaries would not be the domestics, it would be the other foreign makes. It's over for the domestics...they put out too much junk for too long.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:56 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,394,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Even if this current problem put Toyota out-of-business, which of course it won't....the benificiaries would not be the domestics, it would be the other foreign makes. It's over for the domestics...they put out too much junk for too long.
Ford has been outperforming its Japanese rivals every month for the last half year. For the last 11 months in a row, Ford has gained market share from its competitors, with a significant portion coming from foreign competition. GM and Chrysler may be in the dumps, but Ford is stronger than it has been in decades.

September sales:
Ford: -6%
Toyota: -16%
Honda: -23%
Nissan: -7%

August sales:
Ford: +17%
Toyota: +10.5%
Honda: +14%
Nissan: -3%

July sales:
Ford: +2%
Toyota: -11%
Honda: -17%
Nissan: -25%

June sales:
Ford: -10%
Toyota: -36%
Honda: -32%
Nissan: -22%

May sales:
Ford: -28%
Toyota: -38%
Honda: -33%
Nissan: -33%

Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,421,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The 2007 Camry was the first year of the redesign. The problems with this Camry forced CR to re-evaluate its "predicted reliability" opinion for redesigned vehicles. CR predicted above average for the 07 Camry based on previous models - and ended up with egg on its face. So now CR will not provide a predicted reliability rating for redesigned vehicles until they have data.

In the April 2009 issue - they show the 07 and 08 as average reliability overall and the predicted reliability for NEW Camrys is average - well below the past.

I think the Camry is not the automatically solid pick it used to be. However many other Toyotas seem to have excellent reliability still. The 4Runner, Highlander, RAV4, etc. are all very reliable.

As for lack of ABS - no company has been worse about ABS as an option as Nissan. Try to find a used Altima 4 cylinder with ABS. When I shopped for a Maxima ten years ago it was an option where it was standard with many Mazdas and Hondas (usually on a LX or EX model).
True, but look at the "Used Cars to Avoid" listing on the CR website if you're a subscriber. The '08 Camry V6 is the only Toyota listed, and CR used to have a love affair with the Camry, yet the '08 Camry Hybrid is on the "Models to Look for" list, so I guess that is how CR achieved an average rating on the Camry. I agree that there are some reliable Toyotas, but the recent shortcomings don't mesh with the perception that Toyota is the most reliable car company on the planet.

I agree that Nissan was awful with regard to ABS availability as well.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-02-2009, 01:36 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,292,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I worked at a Chevy dealer when I was a kid (early 70's). I remember a recall I worked on. The '72 Impala (or Caprice, I can't remember which) had a nasty habit of breaking the left motor mount which allowed the motor to lift up and bind the throttle linkage which could cause a stuck throttle situation.

The recall "fix" was to remove an exhaust manifold bolt, thread a little piece of chain through the A-frame, stick the manifold bolt through both ends of the chain ane re-install the bolt. Voila, fixed! If the mount broke, the chain kept the motor down. I did hundreds of these "factory modifications".

To the OP...your bias against Toyota is blatant. Even if this current problem put Toyota out-of-business, which of course it won't....the benificiaries would not be the domestics, it would be the other foreign makes. It's over for the domestics...they put out too much junk for too long.

If the domestics put out junk, why did toyota and the other import companies do bad quality impersonations of the US vehicles? Plus they import companies from asia still haven't designed a vehicle worth having to look at! They are fugly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion