Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,169,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I bought a GM about a year and a half ago. Z06 corvette which pretty much destroys other sports cars unless you spend twice as much on them. (And they hold their value.)

I also bought a Toyota Highlanger about a year ago and am very happy with it as it was the only car out there that met my specific needs.

Too many people tied into brand loyalty and team mindset. Things change, every company makes some good vehicles and some not as good.

There is a wealth of quality information out there, make your own choices and good luck.
Agreed, I love my Z06 and it hasn't depreciated in years. Even the the new $350,000 Lexus LF-A still can't keep up with a $65,000 C6-Z06.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Because they make vehicles with soul, one thing Toyota has never had, and certain buyers want more than just an appliance to get from point A to B.

What does Toyota produce that even comes close to the Corvette? Nothing.
Soul? Are you kidding, most GM product are lifeless, throw aways. They change the name of their vehicles more often than people change hairstyles. The covette, camaro and Yukon clones are the only ones that haven't changed.

I agree that many Toyota dealerships are very arrogant, seen it myself.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I had a Toyota once. The rust demon got it. I would buy another.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:23 AM

2,168 posts, read 3,390,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I've also heard of a decline in Toyota's quality. I would still own a Toy over a GM product though.
The wheels could be falling off and you would still buy a Toyota product over a GM.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:53 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,837,514 times
Consumer Reports looks at the NHTSA's files on complaints and finds that 41% of complaints of unintended acceleration (in the 2008 model year) are from Toyotas, but that a significant percentage of those complaints were filed after the widespread news coverage of an accident that year. Next highest percentage? Ford. GM is one of the lower reported percentages.

Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Analysis shows over 40 percent of sudden-acceleration complaints involve Toyotas

Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,216,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I bought a GM about a year and a half ago. Z06 corvette which pretty much destroys other sports cars unless you spend twice as much on them. (And they hold their value.).....
There is a wealth of quality information out there, make your own choices and good luck.
Indeed. While this car will go fast, it's no match in the handling department against most these cars you mention, the interior is basically junk in comparison, and the ride is annoying at best for day to day driving. It's one thing to build a fast car, its quite another to build a fast car that you can actually do more with than burn tires and accelerate in a straight line.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:00 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Because they make vehicles with soul, one thing Toyota has never had, and certain buyers want more than just an appliance to get from point A to B.

What does Toyota produce that even comes close to the Corvette? Nothing.
How about the 93-02 Supra turbos? Legendary Japanses cars.. Engines can make 700-800 hp very easy.. Bringing good $$ now too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljBri...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2Y8...eature=related

Old 01-20-2010, 03:50 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,169,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
How about the 93-02 Supra turbos? Legendary Japanses cars.. Engines can make 700-800 hp very easy.. Bringing good $$ now too
That's a good point bro, and Supras are sweet cars. However, we're comparing apples to oranges here when you're talking about a stock vs. modified car. Remember, any sports car can be modified to be insanely fast if you have the money.

Given that, the Supra was a great car and it's a shame it's not in production anymore. Toyota does make very robust engines, I will give them that. The engine in the Lotus Elise is sourced from the Celica GTS, and it's been the most rock-solid exotic that I've owned.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Indeed. While this car will go fast, it's no match in the handling department against most these cars you mention, the interior is basically junk in comparison, and the ride is annoying at best for day to day driving. It's one thing to build a fast car, its quite another to build a fast car that you can actually do more with than burn tires and accelerate in a straight line.
Um, you are confused my friend. This is a C6 Z06 and your description is only accurate with regard to the interior. (That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for >70k )

I have the Road & Track (May 2008) comparison sitting by me where it's TRACK (not circular but actual curves etc.) times were BETTER than a 135k Porsche 911 Turbo. (I got my 2007 Z06 new for 61k due to the soft economy.) So much for "only in a straight line" lmao.

I also daily drive mine and have driven it 420miles at a stretch and unless you are cruising parking lots with large speed-bumps...you are again FOS. Have you ever actually driven a C6 Z06?

I think you are relying upon memories of C4's and C5's.
Go pull up some reviews from any major car-reviewer and welcome to the 21st century.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,216,343 times
R&T is a grocery store rag. I don't consider it proof. You said that your vehicle is better than vehicles unless you spend 2x as much and that IMO simply isn't true. Yes I am talking about the Z06 and yes I have ridden in one. I don't fault the Z06 for what it is, but it isn't a destroyer of other cars in this price range or anywhere up to 2x this range.

I am responding to this comparison to other vehicles in this price range which I have ridden in as well and there simply isn't any comparison between the two. I've also seen the manufacturing operation of this vehicle and other than the space frame and drive train, it's sent down the same line as the regular versions of this vehicle with the same level of competence and quality of manufacturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion