Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:36 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,736 times

Advertisements

For a 25-35 year old crowd what sort of fun is there to be had there? Any expectations or cultural norms in terms of dress, shopping hours, etc etc.

I'm going in May and I'm interested in stuff to do--mostly affordable restaurants by the water and also daytime activities.

Last question is if one is from the mid-atlantic, between driving, flying, and train which are either cost-effective or comfortable. I've never flown within the country, so I'm curious if checkin is as much of a pain in the ass, if there are direct flights for mid/long distance trips (they always seems to be a stop) and whether the planes are large, or tiny (with one or two rows either side, boarded on the tarmac).

Regards,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 11:22 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
For a 25-35 year old crowd what sort of fun is there to be had there? Any expectations or cultural norms in terms of dress, shopping hours, etc etc.

I'm going in May and I'm interested in stuff to do--mostly affordable restaurants by the water and also daytime activities.

Last question is if one is from the mid-atlantic, between driving, flying, and train which are either cost-effective or comfortable. I've never flown within the country, so I'm curious if checkin is as much of a pain in the ass, if there are direct flights for mid/long distance trips (they always seems to be a stop) and whether the planes are large, or tiny (with one or two rows either side, boarded on the tarmac).

Regards,

Do you have a hotel already picked out? If so I will base my recommendations around your hotel if you aren't renting a car. If you don't have a hotel picked out, you should stay on south beach.

What is affordable for you? What are you looking to do?

Checkin is easy... fly itll save a hassle.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:40 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Do you have a hotel already picked out? If so I will base my recommendations around your hotel if you aren't renting a car. If you don't have a hotel picked out, you should stay on south beach.

What is affordable for you? What are you looking to do?

Checkin is easy... fly itll save a hassle.
We have a house walking distance to the beach in south beach.

Looking to relax, but also experience or see something you don't every day in a n average US big city.

But mostly it's just relaxing. Any museums, or even architectural sites to see?

Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
We have a house walking distance to the beach in south beach.

Looking to relax, but also experience or see something you don't every day in a n average US big city.

But mostly it's just relaxing. Any museums, or even architectural sites to see?
I don't know too much about museums to be honest with you haha

Miami is like a different country, just walk around downtown, go to different parts of the city outside of Miami Beach and experience a city in the United States where majority of the people aren't going to speak English.

I can give you recommendations on some colombian restaurants, or different ethnic foods. You have to eat Cuban food if you're going to be in Miami.

There are different beaches too, you can go to south beach which is a lot of fun, but you can also check out biscayne bay, thats more relaxing.

on miami beach, grab a lunch on ocean drive, go to lincoln road

i like espanola way which is right off of collins ave is a cool little street to get some food.

if you are looking for a more relaxing bar scene, check out coconut grove.

theres south miami, theres also coral gables which has its own downtown area, although im not really a huge fan .. i dont go there often unless i want coldstone.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:23 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,859 times
You need a car in Miami, so if you're staying long I'd just drive. It's a straight shot down I-95 and could be a fun road trip. For a shorter trip (e.g. a long weekend) I'd fly and rent a car. If you're on a tight budget you need to factor the car-rental into flying as well.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I agree that Miami really does feel international.
We walked down Collins and heard several different languages.
Cool place to visit: Vizcaya

Old 03-20-2011, 12:51 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Just don't expect waves at the beach and you'll be fine.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:02 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
South Beach is a great area, lots of fun. If you want to stay in South Beach, then you don't need a car (I went with some friends for several days and were just fine), but if you'd want to explore other parts of the Miami area then it'd be a good idea. When we were there our schedule was mostly some combination of eat, drink, beach, and sleep. That said, there's tons of culture in Miami, especially Cuban, Caribbean, and Latin American.

As far as getting there, I usually fly. Most airlines will let you check-in online, so if you don't have any checked luggage you just go straight to security at the airport. Miami International is a huge airport, so chances are there'll be a direct flight from your area, but the best way to figure that out is to just look it up on a site like travelocity or kayak. The size of the plane will also likely depend on where you're coming from, but I'd imagine that you'll be looking at a larger plane.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 PM

146 posts, read 323,764 times
Please don't forget there are three national parks within driving distance of Miami! The Everglades, Biscayne and Dry Tortugas. I know this isn't what people think of when they hear the word "Miami". But trust me, visiting all three will be a memorable experience. I've only been to two of them; I'm planning on rectifying that in a couple of months. National Parks in the day, South Beach at night. Can't beat it!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Fly into Ft Lauderdale. Much better airport, better organized and easier to navigate. For Miami Intl to be such a hub of international flights, it's not that big at all and very disorderly. I've flown in and out of both FLL and MIA and will take Ft Lauderdale ANY DAY over Miami. It's not that far either. You can actually save time by flying in/out of FLL over MIA due to the FLL airport being so much better oraganized and more on time flights.

You can check in up to 24 hours before a flight online. Super easy to do. Print your boarding pass and then just show up at the airport to check you bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel