Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 03:34 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

It's definitely a violation of 4th amendment rights. My guess is that we'll see a Supreme Court case within the next year about this, and that the TSA will be found in violation. Strip searches can only be performed when there is reasonable suspicion, even at international airports.

Additionally the scanners have not been independently vetted and pronounced safe by anyone without a financial interest in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 04:12 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's definitely a violation of 4th amendment rights. My guess is that we'll see a Supreme Court case within the next year about this, and that the TSA will be found in violation. Strip searches can only be performed when there is reasonable suspicion, even at international airports.

Additionally the scanners have not been independently vetted and pronounced safe by anyone without a financial interest in them.
How is a non-compulsory action unreasonable? A 4th amendment argument would necessarily rest upon that question.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
How is a non-compulsory action unreasonable? A 4th amendment argument would necessarily rest upon that question.
It's compulsory as it limits your freedom of unrestricted travel between states.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
It's compulsory as it limits your freedom of unrestricted travel between states.
It is not compulsory as it is not required to submit to a body scanner in order to travel on a commercial aircraft.

If you're one of the few people chosen to begin with, you can freely opt out and get a pat-down instead.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 PM

278 posts, read 577,154 times
I was with a Canadian friend at the airport, he was flying home from the States, he walked though, and was not required to do the scanner or anything. I had to do the scanner, and then they had a fit because of my watch on my arm.
Also, since they excuse the ladies in burkas, because it is against their religion, I should be excused too. Because it is against my "religion" to be scanned or felt up, by another woman.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
Also, since they excuse the ladies in burkas, because it is against their religion,
This is a myth and simply not true.

See here.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
It is not compulsory as it is not required to submit to a body scanner in order to travel on a commercial aircraft.

If you're one of the few people chosen to begin with, you can freely opt out and get a pat-down instead.
Opting out because you don't want someone looking at your privates or don't want to be subject to the radiation is not enough to raise reasonable levels of suspicion to warrant a pat down. Refusing to walk through a metal detector--that is. Big difference. To require a pat down because you refuse to be radiated or strip searched is a violation of the 4th amendment.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:53 AM

They're warranting the pat down based on your being randomly selected for secondary screening. Once selected, you have the option of a pat down, or, if the airport is equipped, a body scanner. You don't have the option of saying, "No thanks, I'd rather not get screened today" as that defeats the point of security in the first place.

They give you two options (provided the airport is equipped with scanners), pick whichever you want. If you don't feel comfortable with the scanner, then choose the pat down. I'm still not sure how thats unreasonable or constituting an unreasonable search.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
They're warranting the pat down based on your being randomly selected for secondary screening. Once selected, you have the option of a pat down, or, if the airport is equipped, a body scanner. You don't have the option of saying, "No thanks, I'd rather not get screened today" as that defeats the point of security in the first place.

They give you two options (provided the airport is equipped with scanners), pick whichever you want. If you don't feel comfortable with the scanner, then choose the pat down. I'm still not sure how thats unreasonable or constituting an unreasonable search.
Read the 4th amendment. They can't search you without cause--ie reasonable suspicion that you have committed or are in the process of committing a crime. Just showing up at an airport and not wanting to be groped or strip searched/irradiated is NOT reasonable suspicion. The "choice" they offer is not a legal way to bypass the Constitution. That's like saying "You're getting taken in for questioning because you are walking into your office building. Do you want to sit next to Bubba the rapist or the guy who just pee'd himself again and hasn't bathed in three weeks." Either is unacceptable treatment for someone who committed no crime and did absolutely nothing to warrant being searched.

I'm not suggesting no screening. I am saying that the "enhanced" screening hasn't found a SINGLE ITEM that a metal detector and hand baggage x-ray wouldn't have also found. And frankly they miss so much that's it's simply comical anyhow. I know this for a fact, in the past month I've had a full water bottle in my briefcase twice and they didn't catch it. They are too busy strip searching little kids and 90 year olds to do their jobs effectively.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:28 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Read the 4th amendment. They can't search you without cause--ie reasonable suspicion that you have committed or are in the process of committing a crime.
Sure they can, since you give voluntary consent. You can also choose not to give consent to a search and not get on the plane, nobody will then force you to be searched like they could if there was suspicion of you committing a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel