Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:00 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,511 times

Advertisements

Listen to Pacific Flights - knows it. No way can you fly into internation flights with your dog on lap - or even to Hawaii for that fact. Domestic flights and across ocean whole new ball game.

Now leaving Hawaii my dog it looking at the crate as NOOOOOO but he did just fine on the way over. They are good to animals but going to another country I would be sure to check out your requiments well ahead of leaveing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,344 times
Default Airlines that permit pets in the cabin on international flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
NONE from the US. Your dog can not travel in the cabin from the US to the Phillipines. The main carriers prohibut pets int he cabin. Only legitimate service animals are allowed.

Your options are to have it in the cargo hold on your flight, or use a cargo only flight where they are usually kept on the main flight deck.

make sure you have the proper import permits from the Phillipines government and the required health and vacination certificates as required by them listing what they want to see, and that the fees will be paid. Remember, if the dog arrives in any condition but perfect, it will be euthanized without notification or compensation.
Lufthansa, Air France, alitalia etc all allow dogs to travel in the cabin on international flights to and from the US

Old 03-26-2011, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Listen to Pacific Flights - knows it. No way can you fly into internation flights with your dog on lap - or even to Hawaii for that fact. Domestic flights and across ocean whole new ball game.

Now leaving Hawaii my dog it looking at the crate as NOOOOOO but he did just fine on the way over. They are good to animals but going to another country I would be sure to check out your requiments well ahead of leaveing.
You can travel on International flights with your dog in the cabin. Check Lufthansa, Air France, Alitalia and many other airlines allow this from and to the US.
The regulations can be daunting but well worth it. I am traveling with my dog to the Uk from Florida this summer.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:07 PM

134 posts, read 302,544 times
Check with the airline.

For nwcountrygal: 'Pets Traveling to the United Kingdom (http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/domestic_international_pet/index.jsp - broken link), the Republic of Ireland, and Other European Union Countries

Delta will not accept any live animals as checked or carry-on baggage to the United Kingdom. However Delta will accept pets (dogs, cats & ferrets) as cargo to the U.K. under the U.K. Pet Travel Scheme. Read more for more information on U.K Pets.'

Furthermore, Delta will not carry pets as baggage between 15 May and 15 September.
Weather Restrictions (http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/pet_requirements_restrictions/index.jsp - broken link)
Summer Restrictions—May 15 through September 15
Pets cannot be checked as baggage on Delta and Aeromexico operated flights.
Pets may be shipped as cargo. See below for year-round temperature restrictions including live birds and snub-nosed breeds.
Prices for shipping pets as cargo are different from shipping pets as baggage. And, cargo locations may not be located in the airport terminal, so be sure to contact 1.800.DLCARGO (352.2746) for details.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:24 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,183 times
OP is from somewhere in Canada and going to the US, specifically TX. Your min-pin is 10 lbs. so there s/b no problems (Air France booted us off a flight because our carry on pet was 15 lbs). I believe 12 lbs. is the limit on Delta but as long as she was able to get up and turn around and w/her cuteness factor we got her on everytime.

Dog Jaunt : Taking your dog on a plane: U.S. airlines’ requirements for health certificates : Traveling with a small dog

I do not believe CAN is rabies-free, so make sure to have all of vaccinations up to date and take documents w/you.

We've traveled from the US to Europe many times with the dog in the cabin. On those long flights I would take her into the head and let her out of the bag to pet her. We also found an all natural pill, I think it is Happy Traveler and I would give her one about 4 hours into the flight. Nobody ever realized she was in the bag because she was quiet as long as she could see my DH or me.

It is not acceptable to take the pet out of the carry-on, although I've seen many people do this. I guess as long as nobody complains, no harm.

Reason for edit: http://hotels.petswelcome.com/ - you asked about pet-friendly lodgings and Bon Voyage!

If your pet has a collar, security will require that you take off the collar as it must go through x-ray as well; so remove any bling or costume, sweater, etc. You hold your pet as you walk through the x-ray and I simply tell TSA that she bites. That way, nobody will want to pet her as she is already under stress at that point and very well may bite.

Don't feed your pet for 12 hours prior to flight and no water for at least 4 hours. This will obviously make your pet hungry but your pet will not be uncomfortable. Take the pet for a walk after you check in but before you get through security. Gives the pet the last chance to mark territory and relieve itself.

Typically, there are only 2 pets per cabin and usually a $100 to $150 charge for your pet to travel in the cabin. So make sure to make your arrangements are made timely and confirm this a few days before just to make sure.

Mostly, don't stress as your pet can feel that and it will make the situation less pleasant for both of you.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 03-28-2011 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: http://hotels.petswelcome.com/ - you asked about pet-friendly lodgings and Bon Voyage!

Old 03-28-2011, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,147 times
I have an American pit bull terrier (77lbs) and I have to travel from North Carolina to Los Angeles CA. this is the first time I'm traveling with my dog, what do I need,to flight with my dog? I am looking for the cheapest way to travel because I dont have alot of Money, please advice me about my situation. Thank you so much!!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:42 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Putting a pet in cargo is like russian ruellete with your pet. You can't imagine how many things can go wrong, particularly if there is a change of planes. Deaths occur to pets transported by the airlines, lots of them, and airlines aren't particularly punished when things go wrong.
I wouldn't recommend it under any circumstances (as carry on, applicable for very small pets only, is cool however).

By the way, this is a 4 year old post.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:17 PM

134 posts, read 302,544 times
Are you confusing 'cargo' with the freight hold?

There are 3 ways you can travel with a pet:

1. The animal comes with you in the cabin. It must be in an approved kennel, it must be able to stand up normally in that kennel and it must be able to turn around in the kennel.

And the kennel has to fit under the seat in front of you.

Dogs carried in the cabin are very small.

2. The animal travels as 'accompanied baggage' in the baggage hold Which is pressurised and heated to normal room temperatures. Same kennel rules, plus rules about food and water and 'live Animal' labelling.

You need to plan your trip very carefully. When I bought my 2 dogs over here at the end of May 2008, I left Jackson MS very early in the morning (to avoid the heat) and flew to Detroit. The animals were offered food and water there and after a 2-hour layover, we flew to Amsterdam.

On arrival at Amsterdam, they were taken to the 'Pet Hotel', let out of their kennels, fed and watered then back in again (3 hours later) for the flight to Munich.

Going back is going to be very difficult. The obvious route for me is Munich-Atlanta, but that's going to be a non-starter. I have to be at the Airport 3 hours before take-off (so the dogs are in kennels 3 hours before take-off), the flight could be over 12 hours duration (it was nearly 13 when I flew that route a few weeks ago) and the temperature at Atlanta is likely to be 'out of limits' anyway.

I will probably fly to Amsterdam, night stop there, fly to Detroit and travel by car (3 days drive.)

3. Ship the animals as cargo. Not the same as accompanied baggage. The animals are treated as live cargo and are handled professionally.

That's a very expensive option and in the event that there are temperature problems, the animals will be held in a boarding kennel until the temperatures are acceptable and delivered to me at the destination.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
We had a pet flown from a different state by Delta the people were great and nice but the pet suffered
and had to be taken to the vet

according to the vet it was the stress and the temperature
we would not fly our pet ever again. Not because of the airline but because of the risk
better off leaving at a pet hotel for the pets sake

Old 03-29-2011, 06:04 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
I am surprised a responsible pet owner would not check into this issue before attempting to fly with a beloved pet. How careless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel