Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 07:22 AM

364 posts, read 1,569,304 times

Advertisements

Looking at a place to spend 4-5 days the last week of March of 2012. We're two people in our late 20's and can't pick between the three. Obviously we know that Orlando has Disney World type attractions, Phoenix has the Grand Canyon, Sedona and Spring Training, and Miami has South Beach.

We have free flight credits, so the flight cost is irrelevant.

I guess I'm just looking for general input on these three areas. We're into a lot of different things - Disney World would be a blast, but so would the Grand Canyon and Spring Training. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 11:49 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,602,396 times
If it's a possibility, Flagstaff is closer to Sedona and the Grand Canyon than Phoenix.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:19 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,233,076 times
Flagstaff would be fine for a night - but Phoenix is so much nicer in March

You won't find much of a theme park presence out in Phoenix - you also won't be hanging by the beach

I think both FL & AZ work well in March .... however March is my favorite time in Phoenix

If spring training is something you like, it's hard to beat Phoenix as all teams play in the Phoenix metro. I have access to 5 stadiums and 9 teams within 20 minutes of my house

Sedona is beautiful - Grand Canyon is as well .... will still be a little cooler in northern AZ that time of year, but not bad ... if you do decide to do the grand canyon I would plan on what you want to do there ... IMO, a day trip up from phoenix and back really is a bit underwhelming

everyone looks for different things in a vacation - so it's really kind of difficult to gauge exactly how to space it

i would say if you want to do the grand canyon I would probably spend a night in flagstaff

Maybe something like:

Day 1 - arrive & spend night in Phoenix
Day 2 - Explore Sedona & Flagstaff - stay Flagstaff
Day 3 - Flagstaff to GC to Prescott - Stay Prescott
Day 4 - Prescott to Jerome for Exploring & lunch - drive Phoenix & stay
Day 5 - Explore Phoenix - spring training game - late night flight out

IMO, that trip is a lot better a couple months later - although there wouldn't be spring training

You could get back to Phoenix a day earlier and make it all the way back to Phoenix from the GC - giving you another full day in Phoenix

I think a lot would depend on how much time you want to spend at the GC and what you want to do/see. The railroad from williams is also an option for visiting the GC.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:17 PM

12 posts, read 35,102 times
What do you like?

Phoenix travel guide - Wikitravel
Miami travel guide - Wikitravel
Orlando travel guide - Wikitravel

While it is true that Orlando does have Disney World, there are other theme parks including Universial Studios, Universal Studios Islands of Adventure, Sea World, and now (about an hour drive south) the new Legoland. Siesta Key, rated #1 beach in the United States is in Sarasota, Florida, which is about 2.5 hours south of Orlando.

Miami has the beach and the clubs. You can head to Everglades National Park (UNESCO World Heritage Site). Calle Ocho is (8th street) a neighborhood in its own right with a bit of Spanish flavor. No, you won't find any buildings from CSI:Miami (it's filmed in Long Beach) but you can check out the art deco architecture.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:20 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,473,108 times
Keep in mind the elevation change at the Grand Canyon-it may be very cold, even snowing that time of year.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:40 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,016,600 times
Well what do you want to do? Do you want to go out at night, have nice meals etc.. Miami.
You already know what Orlando offers, you mentioned spring training. Orlando has that too.
I will just put out some other Miami things to do:
Might be able to catch a Heat Game.
Biscayne National Park, snorkle in a Coral Reef the only one in the continental US
Everglades National Park. Aligators etc.. A very uniqie and diverse ecostyem
Miami Seaquarium: Swim with the dolphins, see water mammal shows
Miami Zoo: One of the largest in the country
Then of course you have the Beach, Clubs, Bars, Restaurants etc.. Better than you will find in Phoenix or Orlando thats for sure.
But it all depends what you wanna do. Only thing I could think of forPhoenix is the Grand Cayon which is of course awesome.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:35 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,204,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Only thing I could think of forPhoenix is the Grand Cayon which is of course awesome.
I think Sedona is prettier than the Grand Canyon, there are trails there where you round the corner and it just takes your breath away. Granted it doesn't have the scale as Grand Canyon (or Condors buzzing so close you can read the tag number on their wing) but in March Sedona will have much nicer weather.

http://www.gatewaytosedona.com/image/articles/1522/CathedralontheRocks.jpg (broken link)

Another cool thing in the area = Out of Africa Wildlife Park. Google it.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,948,611 times
I say Miami hands down.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:14 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,304,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
Looking at a place to spend 4-5 days the last week of March of 2012. We're two people in our late 20's and can't pick between the three. Obviously we know that Orlando has Disney World type attractions, Phoenix has the Grand Canyon, Sedona and Spring Training, and Miami has South Beach.
Orlando and Miami ALSO have Spring Training nearby.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:03 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,877,005 times
Miami.

I wouldn't mind seeing Disney World. But I think Miami has more. The Keys, the Everglades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel