Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 PM

417 posts, read 816,504 times

Advertisements

Funny, I never thought of Italy as THE place people think of when they think of Europe. I would have said France, England or maybe Ireland were the most common places people mention when they think about traveling in Europe.

I'm excited about my upcoming trip to Italy in November, but when I was younger, London was the place I was most interested in, followed by Paris.

I hope to visit every country in Europe at some point in my life, because every country has some unique things that make it worthwhile - scenery, people, landmarks, art, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
i really don't see that italy is the first choice form speaking to people especailly those returning a second time. Its switzerland;germany and irelnad which sems to attract returnees. Italy ;france and england are worth seeing once but most say that is enough from comments. ;I have heard for years.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,440 times
Can anyone of you all help me to do an essay about why you really wish to go ITALY or FRANCE?I really need help

I need this essay on due date:3/9/2012

Old 08-30-2012, 07:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Not going to write it for you, but if you've got SPECIFIC questions you'd like to ask, I'm sure you'll get some answers.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:57 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
There's so much more to Europe than just Italy...it almost seems like the cliche American tourist destination.

Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Greece, etc., have so much to see as well. Does anybody else also think Italy is uber predictable?
That's why although I've been to Europe four time, I haven't made Italy a priority. Some day...

Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Italy is a great travel destination, but I agree with the OP, many people who claim it as their dream destination don't know why, they want to go, they just know they do because, as said, it is a cliche. In the late 20th century, it was Paris, now it is Italy, in twenty years it will be somewhere else. Flavor of the month.*

One of my co-workers is a prime example. She knew I had been all over Europe several times and was very excited to tell me about her upcoming plans for a trip to Italy. "Great!", I said. "Where in Italy do you want to go? What do you want to see? "I don't know. I was hoping you could tell me."

If you can't tell me why you want to go somewhere, my advice is don't waste your money.

Not to diminish Italy's legitimate appeal as a travel destination, but the best travel experiences are those that come with some sort of meaning. Otherwise, just go to Cancun and drink froofy drinks on a beach and save yourself several thousand dollars.

<edit: The one tourist destination in Italy she could come up with was "The Acropolis", I kid you not :-) >

Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Italy was a dream come true for me as I love wine and art. No where else on this earth do the two have a confluence like they do in Italy, particularly in Florence and Rome. Yes, you could argue France, but I'd have to disagree. There's just something otherwordly about standing in the Sistine Chapel gaping at the ceiling or in the Accademia di Belle Arti staring at The David (it's impossible to understand that sculpture without seeing it in person) or weeping in St. Peters Basilica at the power of The Pietà.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Italy was a dream come true for me as I love wine and art. No where else on this earth do the two have a confluence like they do in Italy, particularly in Florence and Rome. Yes, you could argue France, but I'd have to disagree. There's just something otherwordly about standing in the Sistine Chapel gaping at the ceiling or in the Accademia di Belle Arti staring at The David (it's impossible to understand that sculpture without seeing it in person) or weeping in St. Peters Basilica at the power of The Pietà.
This actually makes a great point. Italy is a very important locus in the worldview of Christians, and Catholics in particular, a worldview which even in this secular day and age still grips the majority of Westerners. The sheer amount of art and architecture that bolster the validity of the Christian/Catholic worldview in Italy, especially Rome, is mind-boggling.

As for myself, I like to see artwork that speaks to the heathen part of my soul :-) The carvings on the outside of Oslo's Radhus, for example, with their depictions of Norse mythology. Then when I hike in the hills around the city with its views of the sunny fjord, I am reminded that this was the very environment that molded men's souls to create such a mythology. That's what stirs me.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
There's so much more to Europe than just Italy...it almost seems like the cliche American tourist destination.

Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Greece, etc., have so much to see as well. Does anybody else also think Italy is uber predictable?
I know this is an old thread, but after reading it I couldn't help but wonder where the OP is from? Where I live in Ct., we have a large percentage of Italians, so a lot of people really focus on visiting Italy. But where I've lived in other parts of the country, most people wanted to visit England, France, Switzerland etc. instead. Personally out of all the European countries I've visted/lived in, Italy was my least favorite. But it certainly has it's historic appeal. I think if an American is planning a European trip though, they should try to squeeze in a few countries if possible, rather than just one.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:28 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:

Well I am not one of those people and nor is anyone that I know. But Italy is a wonderful place to visit as it does have many historical sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel