Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:44 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times

Advertisements

It's been over a year since we have had a real vacation so we're looking forward to this one over Veteran's Day and will visit Arlington National Cemetery where my Uncle is burried. Will also take in the Phillips Gallery where the original of my favorite Renoir is (Luncheon of the Boating Party) and go to the National Zoo - the 3rd visit there for me. I especially love the cheetas. Staying on Pennsylvania Ave this time for a change of pace. We have always stayed at the Residence Inn in Pentagon City but this time we wanted to be on the City side of the river. Hubby always likes to visit Union Station and have lunch or dinner in the place right in the middle upstairs to people watch.. Would love to hear of others favorite places or things to do. We went to Air and Space Museum, most of the Smithsonian, and the Native American museum on other visits. Also we have never been in November, so hoping it will be mild this year and not snowing or pouring rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 01:41 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
New Museum :: NewMuseum.org, good for about 3hrs, I would skip the cafe there.
Spy Museum also, the 'experience' was ok, nothing to write home about, but my then 12yo liked it, But museum was good.
WW2(1hr), MLK are new things on the mall
I personal like to the the Vietnam @ night.
Capital (but do it thru your congress or senator) Have them (there interns) do a 'private' tour.
Have not done it but Supreme Court does a tour, go to the treas and watch them print money. (Sorry no free samples).
the 9/11 @ the Pentagon, Do on a saturday/sunday if your are driving so you can park in the Pentagon lots and not in the parking deck blocks away.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:43 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
If it's something you're interested in, I thought the Holocaust Museum was quite good: United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. The Newseum looked like it might be interesting, but at over $20 admission I gave it a miss. I liked the FDR Memorial, at the reflecting pool. The MLK monument wasn't yet there when I was there.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:00 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Korean War memorial. Underrated conflict with an underrated memorial, IMO far cooler than some of the larger ones like that circle they have for WW2.

In the evening when it is lit up is almost surreal.

http://tomchappell.com/gallery/d/274...Memorial-1.jpg

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-27-2011 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: copyrighted picture - post link only

Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 AM

We have done the Holocaust Museum _ very impressive - and hubby and son did the Spy Museum on other trips. One thing we will do this time for sure is see the Monuments at night. May go back to the National Gallery of Art as there was much we didn't have time to see there. Just found out a friend of mine from Columbia, MD and her husband will be able to meet us for dinner one night or maybe a play. Will be fun to reconnect.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:29 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
My kids visited the Spy museum the last time we were there in August. I did't go because I thought the cost was a bit high for that museum.... The Korean War memorial is very impressive... My favorite place to visit is Arlington Cemetary. Our last visit, we got to the cemetary late and had to run through it. We did catch the last Changing of the Guard though.. but didn't get over to the Iwa Gima memorial.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:58 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
If you haven't already been and it's something you're into I would recommend either (or both) the National Museum of Art (pre-20th century) and the Geology museum where you can see the Hope Diamond. I've always wanted to go back to DC for a visit as there is so much to see there so I'm very envious. Can you also squeeze in a trip to Mt Vernon?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:21 AM

Chilaili - I saw the Hope Diamond on another trip and yes we have been to Mt. Vernon when my girlfriend from college took us. Her husband's family were caretakers there many years ago and we kinda snuck in the back way lol. I read a bit the other day about the Newseum and that looks like it would be worth a visit and of interest to us. My husband worked for 40 years in the news business in radio, TV and newspaper.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
One of our favorite ways to visit DC is to split up in the AM, meet for lunch (usually at food court in basement of US Customs Building) then share highlights with each other in afternoon, or do something we all want to do (did this as family too, as soon as kids were ages 12+... they would take Metro in and around and meet us (long before cell phones... that would have been handy...)

Also biking... there are many MANY miles of DC bike trails. We passed through Arlington Cemetery daily for 2 weeks while staying at a guest home on the west side.

I second spending some serious time at some of the newer memorials. (FDR, Korean War (both nice at night), WWII...) Also the US Mint and the Naval / US Marine museum for a rainy (cold) day.

Ford Theater can be great tour with an exceptionally melodramatic USNP guide (We have had some terrific ones)

The kids found the 'Behind the scenes' Architectural Tour of the Pensioners Building, that was fun and educational. (just across from Law Officers Memorial, and site of 'main' Inaugural Ball)

Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 AM

Many of you have been to some of the great sites in DC. It seems there is always something we haven't done no matter how many times we go. I love going through the Kennedy Center of the Performing Arts. Gorgeous chandeliers there that were a gift from Denmark. Every night at 6 there is a free performance in the Millenium Theater. You just get your cocktail and take a seat. The last time we were there it was a classical guitarist from Japan - it was Cherry Blossom Festival Time - and he was superb. There is a free bus from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop to the Kennedy Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel