Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 05:30 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I took about a 4 or 5 year vacation from my sanity. Does that count?

Seriously...probably not over a week. Though I've traveled quite extensively, I've actually taken very few actual vacations. My traveling has mostly been for a purpose (work, military, disaster relief, old soldier reunions) and I still like it that way. To me, it's selfish and a waste of time and money to go somewhere and not do something worthwhile.
Is not experiencing other cultures and learning about the world not worthwhile?

One can go overboard, but I think travel offers a lot more than simply seeing stuff. But either way, it's people's money to do as they please with it and it benefits the local economy. Personally I am also interested in working/living/volunteering in other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is not experiencing other cultures and learning about the world not worthwhile?

One can go overboard, but I think travel offers a lot more than simply seeing stuff. But either way, it's people's money to do as they please with it and it benefits the local economy. Personally I am also interested in working/living/volunteering in other countries.

Oh, sure. There's value to learning about other countries, peoples and cultures, and I'm not knocking those who travel just for the sake of travel and learning. It's just not for me. If learning about others doesn't have some practical application, what's the point? For instance, what good would it do anyone, other than local vendors, if I travel to India and learn about them with no prospect of ever going back and doing something with that knowledge?

I would point out, though, that going to other places and encapsulating yourself in the artificial environment of a western-style resort or cruise ship isn't really learning anything about anything. If people really want to learn about other places and people, they've got to risk getting outside the cocoon.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
3.5 weeks in New Zealand. By the middle of Week Two, I almost forgot I had a job

Old 01-25-2017, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 746 times
60 days.. but many 45 days in my life... it's the best thing to do... specially during summer... i have real likeness for summer..

Old 01-25-2017, 08:51 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
I hate to say this.. But I didn't take many vacation during my career..due to mainly ending up as a single mom with ZERO support from their father..SO only had a few long weekends or maybe 1 week when kids went to camp.

I am now retired.. My time is no my own..tho, am now physically, mentally challenged with "Family Drama".. This Family Drama raised it's ugly head just in the last 2 years..and It continues now that my eldest passed away. I Cannot believe it!! First time in my life I have ever met a person so NASTY!!

I'm one who actually loved my Career..and found much satisfactions.. So did get a lot of satisfactions. My kids were demanding..so had to work extra hard on setting them straight... MY BOYZ were my priority obviously .. Why waste time fighting things I cannot change. BUT most my time off was for my kids..NOT me..

SO, in one sense I'm envious of those who have the freedom to travel and things I never could. Guess, it always comes down to what one's priorities are . AS of today..I still don't regret my choices.. however, I was so LUCKY to have a JOB that fulfilled me.. Most actually don't even like their job nor have sense of satisfaction. So Have no regrets!!

Oh yeah.. for those that don't know~~ I was ( and still in a way) a Front Line HC Provider!! Believe me Since 2005 ( When Left Hospital Acute Care Setting) ..I actually got so much validations since then.. I feel proud of my contributions It's a wonderful thing to actually get that in our industry .. But knew that going into it back in 1967.. SO appreciate that somehow I DID MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Old 01-25-2017, 09:14 PM

636 posts, read 392,749 times
You'd have to give me an exact definition of "vacation" for me to answer. And then I still might not be able to because I try to make a blend of life/work/vacation.

In the summer of 2015 I spent around 2 months backpacking through eastern Europe and the Balkans. That was almost certainly a vacation as I was off work and traveling.

Last summer I spent 2 months traveling through northern Europe, then, kind of spent a month traveling in the US from Boston to Las Vegas and Denver.

There was 3 months I spent in Denmark, not working but researching my family history.

I considering a 1 year around the world trip but I might work and/or volunteer for room and board during that trip and extend it. Not sure if that'd count as a vacation.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:15 PM

636 posts, read 392,749 times
Quote:
Oh, sure. There's value to learning about other countries, peoples and cultures, and I'm not knocking those who travel just for the sake of travel and learning. It's just not for me. If learning about others doesn't have some practical application, what's the point? For instance, what good would it do anyone, other than local vendors, if I travel to India and learn about them with no prospect of ever going back and doing something with that knowledge?

I would point out, though, that going to other places and encapsulating yourself in the artificial environment of a western-style resort or cruise ship isn't really learning anything about anything. If people really want to learn about other places and people, they've got to risk getting outside the cocoon.
To each their own, but my own is that experience is the sole reason for existing.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:51 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
I took 3 times 5-week vacations during my career , can't say that my managers were enthusiastic about it. Now the most I tale is 4 weeks, it's OK too, one can do lots of things in 4 weeks.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:30 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
To me, it's selfish and a waste of time and money to go somewhere and not do something worthwhile.
What about staying in place and not doing something worthwhile? Like if someone uses their Saturday to go fishing, binge watch some Netflix, or read a book? Travel can be for just fun, and it isn't any more selfish or wasteful of money than anything else people do for fun with their free time and money.

Quote:
I disagree here. I'm not a fan of cruise ships or resorts either, but I know they usually offer some sort of prepackaged side trips for their guests to get out and see some of the local stuff.

Someone taking the tourist van to go see the Mayan ruins (or whatever cultural dealie) and hear from the guide about the history of it can't be dismissed as learning nothing, they've got more insight and firsthand experience walking on/around the things than they did before their trip. Granted it isn't as deep an experience as someone doing field work for their thesis while living in the local village, but it also isn't nothing just because they return at night to their comfy ship/resort.

We've seen those cats being led through the markets cameras in hand, with a guide explaining what the local ingredients are and how the fish are brought in early in the morning, etc. and while I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in that gaggle of westerners I think they are getting something out of it and seeing how other cultures function in day to day life.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
USA based (when I am seldom home)
was born with a BAD case of wanderlust, parents traveled everyday.

Vacation...(?) I am not much for 'traditional' vacations, I prefer to 'explore', volunteer, live / work with locals in different cultures.

Travel --- extensive (as possible)

2016 was a 1 yr RTW
many 12 wk 'field trips' during 10 + yrs of homeschooling

4 international work assignments, traveling everyday (frequently bringing family along)

lounging around .... can't think of any,,, Life is too short for that.

Like Chielgirl, I travel every week, certainly every weekend (if working). Currently airfare is SO cheap I just GO! 2017 companion pass, so SO flies free. I will have well over 100 flights in 2017 (domestic), but probably only 6-10 international (NOW is the time to enjoy international (strong USD)) 2016 worked well for that.

My preference is to be in a location for a couple months (volunteering with locals) and use that as a hub to travel the region. locals have the best ideas / resources, and I almost always stay in the homes of local people. <10 hotels during our 1yr RTW, 8 airbnb (7 were terrible).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel