Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which way do you prefer to travel?
By car 84 53.50%
By train 35 22.29%
By bus 5 3.18%
By plane 68 43.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:36 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times

Advertisements

Prefer the car cause I can stop when and where I want.

A train has the advantage of my not having to drive and still seeing the scenery.

A plane gets me where I want fast but I DESPISE flying.

Longest trip, by car...from Los Angeles to Atlanta, Ga, with 3 cats. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 PM

326 posts, read 470,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Prefer the car cause I can stop when and where I want.
Quote:
A train has the advantage of my not having to drive and still seeing the scenery.
Also, you can bring just about anything that is not truly dangerous.

Quote:
A plane gets me where I want fast but I DESPISE flying.
Not to mention practically NOTHING is allowed through the airport anymore, and it will be only a matter of time before all carryon baggage is permanently banned.

Quote:
Longest trip, by car...from Los Angeles to Atlanta, Ga, with 3 cats. Liz

Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
Also, you can bring just about anything that is not truly dangerous.

Not to mention practically NOTHING is allowed through the airport anymore, and it will be only a matter of time before all carryon baggage is permanently banned.
When was the last time you flew?

Here is the info from the TSA and you can take just about ANYTHING thru security to board a plane.
TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel

Old 09-06-2007, 01:08 PM

15 posts, read 45,577 times
I used to enjoy flying, but now it is so difficult and you can't even get food anymore! I have recently started driving places instead of flying. It is a little less frustrating!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:46 PM

104 posts, read 339,014 times
Train all the way! You can sit back, relax, read a book, nap, have a drink and just watch the beautiful scenery pass you by. Everything you need is right there if you have the time to just take it in and plan ahead with snacks and hand sanitizer. Now if we could get Amtrak to lower their fares we'd be making huge strides in the US.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:47 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,540 times
I like to fly somewhere and then travel around either by train (in densely populated areas) or by car (in wider open spaces).

Old 09-12-2007, 10:40 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,382 times
Really, it depends on how much time I have. If it's a weekend in Boston which is a 3.5 hour flight and easily a two day drive, I have no choice but to fly. If it's a week vacation or more, I'd drive. I do like being on the road. Even if it's a route I've taken many times before and therefore, same old, same old, it's very therapeutic to me. My parents think I'm nuts to drive when I can fly. Plus, I like my car. I wish we had better train service where I live because I'd definitely consider doing that. I took the train once from Chicago to Indy and really liked just kickin' back without the hassle of dealing with airports.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:43 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,499 times
I prefer plane and car.
My ideal trip is flight and drive.

I like flying to you in USA and then, take a car because it's very nice to watch American places and drive in your roads.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:21 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
By motorcycle if I have the time, by car if I need to get somewhere faster. I haven't flown since 1994 and don't anticipate ever having to do so again - especially hearing what a pain it has become.

We're looking at a small RV for vacationing. You can't get a semi-decent hotel room for <$100/night anymore and even then, the stories one hears about them .... Anyway, I can't see spending that kind of money for someplace to sleep/pee/wash.

A Trail Lite B+ is as gas economical as an SUV (11-13 mpg), self-contained and comforting to know what kind of bed you will sleep in every night. We can also take our small dogs with us instead of boarding them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Dori_Anjin/TB1.jpg (broken link)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Dori_Anjin/TB2.jpg (broken link)

Expense-wise: we're taking a 5 day trip to the mountains of Virginia in October. Between the cost of staying at a Holiday Inn, gas, eats, entertainment and boarding our three dogs, we expect to spend somewhere around $900. For FIVE DAYS! We've viewed 2006 model Trail Lites for between $48 - 52K. And if we finance, the interest is tax deductible since the self-contained (kitchen/bath) RVs are classed as second homes. The kind of traveling we hope to do in the near future, even with the added expense of insurance/taxes/maintenance, we look forward to having something like the TB+ instead of car driving and the insecurity of hotel choices.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:28 PM

105 posts, read 496,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainmemphis View Post
I used to enjoy flying, but now it is so difficult and you can't even get food anymore! I have recently started driving places instead of flying. It is a little less frustrating!
DH and I agree completely.

We have friends who moved to California about six years ago who we'd love to see again but wouldn't want to either drive THAT far, or bother with the worse hassles of a plane trip.

Driving up to about 6 or 7 hours per day is our maximum though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel