Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:31 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post

Here, in Colorado, we call them tourons. Morons who think they're professional tourists or something. So funny.
I learned that term in 1980 when I went to work at Crested butte.

What is it that you feel you need to buy at a tourist trap?
Why can't you go to another area of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 10:35 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
the internet helps a lot

some places you just know are going to be more expensive ... it's more expensive for the locals and of course it's going to be as expensive for the tourists (NYC, London, etc)

there are rural places that I've vacationed to where it's amazing how little money i've spent

I always embrace being a tourist - but unless it's 100% tourist there will always be ways to cut down on the fleecing

I always buy some bottled water from a drug store for the hotel ... i like to have good tasting water on hand and the $8 bottle next to the bed really doesn't appeal ... i also avoid the expensive breakfasts, etc and will frequently just grab a snack on the go

some things I think are worth it so I pay

there is a cost to vacationing and a lot of the basics you just have to budget in and then find the breaking point between what I like, what I can afford and the value of each item

I went on a cruise and found it to be pretty decent .... none of my issues were related to the cost though .... IMO I found it to be pretty reasonable when you consider the amount & quality of food provided, the room, the activities that are included, etc.

Most cruise lines offer cards that will allow you to have unlimited soda, juice, etc .... typically around $4-$7 a day ..... that isn't unreasonable to me, especially since the higher cost one will often include things like a milkshake, coffee drinks, etc

I also didn't think the drink prices were that bad .... about on par with what I'd expect to pay at a decent bar ..... if you were from NYC you'd probably find them to be a good deal ... if you were from a small town in upstate NY you may find them to be real expensive

Some onboard activities were pretty reasonable - some were a bit expensive ....... but you can easily pick & choose .......i found the shore itineraries to be a bit pricey, but I didn't choose to do any of them through the cruiseline

everyone travels differently - i don't mind splurging a little, but if i'm going to it's going to be on something other than the tourist trap mega restaurant, etc

then again, i remember visiting NYC with a coworker and it became lunch time ... i had a buddy who lived in midtown for a while and I knew of a pretty good deli that I really liked - a bit more than I'd normally like to spend, but then again it's an expensive area ...... she split to mcdonalds ..... to each their own

Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Every time we travel, whether cruising or otherwise, I am appalled at the outrageous, 'whatever the traffic will bear' prices, fees, add-on's that travelers 'must' pay. To name a few: 20-30% Hotel room/ bed taxes and fees, stale $14 airport sandwiches, remote airport parking fees, restaurant (in/near hotel area) pricing, 'tourist trap' entry fees, 'where else can they go' cruise ship drink prices, etc.
Let's see, taxes are the locality, not the hotel. You always have the option of choosing hotels without resort fees. You can pack your own sandwich, you don't need to buy them at the airport. I don't know of any airports that don't charge to park, you can always get a ride or take a cab. As far as restaurant pricing, stay outside the tourist areas or venture outside of them to local places. And choose a cruise where alcohol is included or you can BYOB.

Quote:
But, honestly folks, Do the 'unethical, soak the tourist practices' also take a lot of fun out of traveling for you? How do you avoid the feelings of 'being taken advantage of' ... so it doesn't spoil the travel (and make you sound/feel cheap)?
I skip the obvious tourist traps, research the hotels and cruises to make wise choices, and just accept that travel isn't free.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
It is always your choice whether to travel, whether to buy their products, whether to eat in their restaurants.

Travel is a luxury. I don't mind if the charges for a luxury event are higher than the charges for every-day living requirements. Kind of makes sense, to me.
I don't mind paying for 'luxury' either ... if that's what one actually got! -- I'm talking about often sub-standard food and products; NY-priced, 'cow-pasture parking' with no alternatives in the area or decent transport to/from terminals; mid-grade hotels at 5-star prices (yet, 5-star pictures in the brochures and online); tiny-print ammenity charges that others typically include in their rates (internet, cable TV, coffee/donut breakfast bar; views of the back of another building; airline seats already assigned to frequent flyers and others ... even though you hold an early, up-front boarding pass; very hefty luggage fees; children's prices at 90% of adult prices on already over-priced events and entertainment; and on and on.

This is not about paying for what you get, but, rather, paying for what you don't get! (Maybe I'm only getting my 'just rewards' ...since we live in a Florida tourist area that is probably among the worst of the offenders. I guess it is a lot like government .... many businesses never miss an opportunity to 'bump the rate' or 'add a charge.' Oh well, I am 'ranting' and will probably keep traveling and paying these high rates anyway --- I'm just looking for a way to feel better about it!

Old 05-24-2012, 02:09 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Several of you have made very good comments about cruises. Actually, we enjoy cruising and expect to 'pay the piper.' But, certain unavoidable expenses really go overboard: Excursions costs are about 50% higher than you can buy them on land (... except, of course, when you choose to skip the ship excursion ... only to find-out the land-based version is closed/sold-out ... or has already been purchased by the cruise-line for half of your cost. Soft drink tickets ($25-$40) provide unlimited soft drinks, ... provided you don't mind making a dozen 6-ounce glass trips. Food is generally a huge bargain and well done, but, there are some cruise lines that emphasize 'partying' over eating ... and make noticeable cuts in good food, while adding starches. "Tips" are another area that gets pricey ... plan on $25-$30 per day, per cabin (2 people) - automatically charged to your bill. Additionally, some cruised do an excellent job on entertainment/shows, while others book 'lounge acts' which they repeat too often.

Still, I believe cruising is an excellent cost-bargain (vs land travel) ... and avoids the hassle of packing/unpacking/moving and booking entertainment and restaurants. Some lines are simply better than others --- and some spend more time 'padding their own bottom line' than providing value for passengers.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:29 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Bring snacks to the airport
Hotel with a kitchenette can save many trips to restaurants
Not because we want to save money, but because we find the convenience peferable, we always get a kitchen/ette when we travel. I want my coffee with real creamer, not powder and I want a cup of coffee. I want to make my own eggs or heat up leftovers from dinner or zap a microwave pizza, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Let's see, taxes are the locality, not the hotel. You always have the option of choosing hotels without resort fees. You can pack your own sandwich, you don't need to buy them at the airport. I don't know of any airports that don't charge to park, you can always get a ride or take a cab. As far as restaurant pricing, stay outside the tourist areas or venture outside of them to local places. And choose a cruise where alcohol is included or you can BYOB.

You add to the OP's silliness by perpetuating the idea that one HAS to drink an alcoholic beverage. We have been on 10 cruises, are planning our next and the only time we drink is during the "past cruisers' cocktail hour" or when sampling the rum/liquor on a tour. If I wanted to drink, I could stay home. I travel wanting to remember where I've been and what I did. The idea that one must have alcohol boggles my mind. I am NOT a teetotaler - I've had my share of tipsiness but it is far less of a requisite than a cup of GOOD coffee.

I skip the obvious tourist traps, research the hotels and cruises to make wise choices, and just accept that travel isn't free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Several of you have made very good comments about cruises. Actually, we enjoy cruising and expect to 'pay the piper.' But, certain unavoidable expenses really go overboard: Excursions costs are about 50% higher than you can buy them on land (... except, of course, when you choose to skip the ship excursion ... only to find-out the land-based version is closed/sold-out ... or has already been purchased by the cruise-line for half of your cost. Soft drink tickets ($25-$40) provide unlimited soft drinks, ... provided you don't mind making a dozen 6-ounce glass trips. Food is generally a huge bargain and well done, but, there are some cruise lines that emphasize 'partying' over eating ... and make noticeable cuts in good food, while adding starches. "Tips" are another area that gets pricey ... plan on $25-$30 per day, per cabin (2 people) - automatically charged to your bill. Additionally, some cruised do an excellent job on entertainment/shows, while others book 'lounge acts' which they repeat too often.

Still, I believe cruising is an excellent cost-bargain (vs land travel) ... and avoids the hassle of packing/unpacking/moving and booking entertainment and restaurants. Some lines are simply better than others --- and some spend more time 'padding their own bottom line' than providing value for passengers.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:49 PM

Annie - yet you perpetuate the silliness that one who drinks alcohol on vacation/cruise is unable to "remember where i've been and what I did"

I like a good cup of coffee as much as the next guy, but when it's pushing 90 & humid on a tropical afternoon the last thing I'm looking for is a hot cup of coffee by the pool...........

Since that is my choice & what I look for in a vacation it's a matter of seeing if there is a way to make it more economical

I could save a ton of money by cutting out things that I otherwise enjoy - however, there needs to be some kind of balancing point

Old 05-24-2012, 10:24 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Annie - yet you perpetuate the silliness that one who drinks alcohol on vacation/cruise is unable to "remember where i've been and what I did"

I like a good cup of coffee as much as the next guy, but when it's pushing 90 & humid on a tropical afternoon the last thing I'm looking for is a hot cup of coffee by the pool...........

Since that is my choice & what I look for in a vacation it's a matter of seeing if there is a way to make it more economical

I could save a ton of money by cutting out things that I otherwise enjoy - however, there needs to be some kind of balancing point
So have an ice tea. Or ice water. Both are free. And a much better option to be drinking, too.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Be a traveler not a tourist. No wonder you're getting hosed.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
So have an ice tea. Or ice water. Both are free. And a much better option to be drinking, too.
Wtf do you care what someone drinks?

Also pending circumstance they may not be free either ..... Especially the tea ..... There have been countless instances where it's been cheaper to grab a drink on special than a tea which wouldn't be discounted

Again, I have no issue with the cost of grabbing a drink on vacation so I will continue to do so ....... Not sure the point our context of your post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel