Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
NOBODY thinks they're a "regular mom." Do the right thing an send him by himself or with a friend his age.

Wtf? There's nothing wrong with a mom traveling with her son. You people either grew up with some really terrible parents or just flat out need to learn to keep your mouth shut when a person asks something. She didn't ask what her son would prefer, she asked about places to go. The right thing is a mom who is nice enough to bring their kid to a different country.

To the OP, as I'm sure you already realized... people on this board can be downright stupid. Don't listen to them, your son is probably very happy and can't wait to go with you..

Now if you want to do things cheaper, flying to places like Barcelona, Madrid and further west are definitely going to be cheaper. For me, Rome would be most interesting but it is something you have to figure out on your own where your interests lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 12:07 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
If you want to see a few different cities, fly from the US to any Euro city served by Easyjet, and use that airline for short hops around the continent. Cheaper and faster than the train, with fares as low as $20-30 for a one way ticket. They charge extra for baggage though so get yourself a good carry on that holds a lot! www.easyjet.com

Mediterranean cruise might be another alternative for seeing a number of cities in a short time frame.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:12 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
What I would do, is just check your airport and find the cheapest flight to whatever city it is in Europe, probably London. Then you can hop on one of their budget airlines like Zentropa said. Another one is RyanAir, I know they get a bad rep, but really it's just a budget airline. Do your checkin online, pack light etc and you'll be just fine.

The budget airlines are cheaper than trains a lot of times and also much more convienent because trains suck compared to flying

Old 06-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Where does HE want to go?,

What are HIS interests?

There are very cheap and fun / educational / cultural experiences abounding in Europe.

I would find the most reasonable airfare to an area CLOSE to where his desires, THEN stay in a small town on outskirts with private host ($20 / night including food)

Gonna need to AVOID lodging in a big city, best to be rural anyway for a rich experience (our kids were amazed that people live in multi generation homes WITH farm animals...) We used some Hostels (our kids called them 'Foster homes for college kids') They are NOT cheap, but a unique experience.

I would do southern France, Spain, Northern Italy, Austria /switz (expensive but nice.) CZ / Hungary would be good too.

Find out what HE wants, go have a blast (go for a month CHEAP) (~$1000 + AIR) EACH It will be worth charging some of this cuz... it is a one time deal, and HE will be GONE any day now.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I agree with burgler on a couple of points

first and foremost, if she should/should not accompany her son is a non-topic ....... the question wasn't should she send him alone or join, but where could they go together

I did a study abroad when I was 19, went on a school club trip to Italy when I was in 10th grade and would love to have went over with my parents at some point or had them visit when I was studying abroad ..... it can be neat to share some experiences and build up that thirst for travel ... I loved it when my parents would visit me in philly when I was in college, gave me an excuse to go out and do all the tourist stuff that I otherwise would put off

So basically, everyone is different and has different relationships - don't force your view point in a situation when that discussion wasn't even on the table

With that, I also agree that it sounds like you guys are light travelers - so it may be best to find the cheapest jumping off point and then go from there as there are some good discount carriers to get around

As far as places - lisbon/portugal, a neat area that is usually pretty budget friendly for europe ..... london will be a zoo, but I loved scotland and have always had good luck with relatively cheap accomodations - can get a good mix of city and relaxation there .... prague can be a little bit more expensive at times, but could be a really good fit for what you are looking for .... germany is also a blast

Amsterdam can be fun, but also a bit seedy .... not sure if I'd want to spend a week there with my mom, but that's just me

croatia is starting to become a bit more trendy and can be harder to get to, but it's a cool spot

if all else fails and you just can't find europe in your budget, maybe a trip to quebec - imo, the city has a very european flair to it and montreal is a blast ... still can be expensive from much of the US though

Old 06-13-2012, 02:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

Personal Depending on your son's maturity, At 17/18? I would have him go with a friend to do it by 'himself' (with a friend). He will get more out of it then a trip with mom, and better life experience. Figuring things out by himself.

If he 'not' ready maturity this year there is always next year...
Yes, my kid did this after high school graduation, but to be fair, he had been with us as a family before, so had already gotten his traveling feet wet.
It sounds like the OP and her son are going to be traveling together, and I have done this with my sons and it is a lot of fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Where does HE want to go?,

What are HIS interests?
Yes. To the OP, have you asked your son about his interests, and/or to do any research for this trip? The journey will mean more to him if he invests a bit of himself in it.

When you type in your home airport, the Kayak Explore map shows the airfare for a wide variety of destinations.

KayakExplore

Old 06-13-2012, 04:06 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
There is a website that scans most popular booking agencies/websites, skyscanner.net.

Type in your home airport, and then type "everywhere" for the destination. You'll get a list of countries arranged by price. Searching from JFK airport in NY, the cheapest European destination was Germany, specifically Berlin. If you're an off-beat kind of family, you will LOVE Berlin (probably Prague as well). The Berlin flights came in at under $700 per adult (including taxes, a steal IMO).

Things Germany has going for it:
~Moderate pricing
~Wide availability of English-competent Germans (of all ages, from children to the elderly)
~Good food that is different without being terrifyingly exotic.
~A broad spectrum of cultural activities to please all tastes; Bear in mind that kitsch is a German word.
~Low crime; clean cities/hotels/hostels; professional, courteous police/bureaucrats/airport security personnel.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Amsterdam sounds perfect then. What's your budget, or what would you like it be? :-)
I have no idea. I'm almost afraid to guess. I've stayed at flats in Eastern Europe, but I have done business there.

Last time I went, travel was less expensive and I had more money.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
There is a website that scans most popular booking agencies/websites, skyscanner.net.

Type in your home airport, and then type "everywhere" for the destination. You'll get a list of countries arranged by price. Searching from JFK airport in NY, the cheapest European destination was Germany, specifically Berlin. If you're an off-beat kind of family, you will LOVE Berlin (probably Prague as well). The Berlin flights came in at under $700 per adult (including taxes, a steal IMO).

Things Germany has going for it:
~Moderate pricing
~Wide availability of English-competent Germans (of all ages, from children to the elderly)
~Good food that is different without being terrifyingly exotic.
~A broad spectrum of cultural activities to please all tastes; Bear in mind that kitsch is a German word.
~Low crime; clean cities/hotels/hostels; professional, courteous police/bureaucrats/airport security personnel.
OK that IS a steal!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes, my kid did this after high school graduation, but to be fair, he had been with us as a family before, so had already gotten his traveling feet wet.
It sounds like the OP and her son are going to be traveling together, and I have done this with my sons and it is a lot of fun.

Yes. To the OP, have you asked your son about his interests, and/or to do any research for this trip? The journey will mean more to him if he invests a bit of himself in it.

When you type in your home airport, the Kayak Explore map shows the airfare for a wide variety of destinations.

KayakExplore
He's interested in History, WWII, music - especially rock, punk alternative, hiking, and a place where he can eat vegan meals. Loves art and castles. Likes mountains and lakes more than beaches.

Not interested in luxury things, designers, fashion, bling. Does not like pretentious people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel