Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
NOBODY thinks they're a "regular mom." Do the right thing an send him by himself or with a friend his age.
Why is that the 'right' thing? Are you saying it's wrong for parents to go on vacations with their children past a certain age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:30 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Well that says it. We are open to ANYWHERE. Low budget. Our income changed for the worse in the past three years, but it's a promise I want to keep.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
The cheapest trip to Europe is a short package trip to Ireland. You can get one out of JFK for about $600 to $700 a person. It will include airfare, hotel, and a rental car. If you are afraid of driving on the wrong side of the road than arrange day trips in Ireland. You can do that here in the USA or when you get there. Either one will work fine.

If you want my recommendations on where to go in Ireland, let me know. I took my own son a few years back and we had a great time.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The cheapest trip to Europe is a short package trip to Ireland. You can get one out of JFK for about $600 to $700 a person. It will include airfare, hotel, and a rental car. If you are afraid of driving on the wrong side of the road than arrange day trips in Ireland. You can do that here in the USA or when you get there. Either one will work fine.

If you want my recommendations on where to go in Ireland, let me know. I took my own son a few years back and we had a great time.
This also sounds great!!!! I know I couldn't drive on that side of the road but he might be able to. Other wise, the other way. Sounds wonderful!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This also sounds great!!!! I know I couldn't drive on that side of the road but he might be able to. Other wise, the other way. Sounds wonderful!
You can get used to it after a few wrong (right) turns and the 4 lane 'rotaries' / traffic circles.

MUCH ez'r if you have a UK car. (always Keep the steering wheel side of car towards center of roadway).

It an be embarrassing when you approach your car and climb in the left seat expecting a steering wheel... Often you shut the door and put on the seat belt, THEN realize the steering wheel is off to your right...

I would also consider a WWII trip to Mtn battle fields / treks (which I have never done), BUT that would be QUITE interesting. (probably northern Italy and SE France).

Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
Quote:
THe problem is that by the terms of the rental, he can't drive.

Another point about Germany:
~Public transportation is utterly and entirely comprehensive from every adorable small German village to urban centers.
~They drive on the right and they use intersections.

Ireland uses roundabouts and drives on the left. However, Ireland is hideously expensive and the "value for money" is lacking, especially with regards to food. BUT, if you love ancient Celtic history (hill forts, stone circles, the bronze age etc), Ireland is FANTASTIC in that department. Otherwise, it's lots of bars (with the requisite lad culture) and sheep once you're out of Dublin.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
He's interested in History, WWII, music - especially rock, punk alternative, hiking, and a place where he can eat vegan meals. Loves art and castles. Likes mountains and lakes more than beaches.

Not interested in luxury things, designers, fashion, bling. Does not like pretentious people.
Berlin or London or Prague or Munich would suffice.
Check out some of the accommodation sites I posted.
Add wimdu to that list.

Try Vegetarian Restaurants, Vegan Restaurant, Natural Health Food Stores Guide by HappyCow to find veggie/vegan restaurants.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
I don't want to drive around Melanie. I just want to take him to Europe for a week or even less as I've promised, before the economy here went bad.

Any suggestions?
You might want to look into Lisbon. It has a good transportation system in the city of buses, trollies and a subway. There are multiple day discount tickets. The city has both new and old parts. A number of museums. It is set on a large river and there are river cruises that give you a good look at the city, which is built on hills.

Portugal is certainly on the radar of very few Americans, so it might seem more "exotic" than most of the rest of Western Europe.

About prices I am clueless because I no longer have the slightest idea what things cost in the U.S.

Another plus is that there is a coastal railroad (a commuter one really) that goes along the coast north of the city, so you would have a chance to take a trip up there for very little money. There are also bus tours to the former royal palaces out in the countryside, Queluz and Sintra. And there are rail connexions to other parts of Portugal...so you might even think of a quick overnight trip to some other town or city.

I think the Eye Witness travel books are good. They are super thorough about the culture of a country, hotels, restaurants, etc. and they run the gamut from dirt cheap to five-star plus. They are, however, a bit sketchy on describing any individual sights, though they do hit everything.

www.visitlisboa.com

LISBON Portugal Tourism Guide: Cheap Hotels, Hostels, Apartments, Lisboa Tourist Sights - Go Lisbon!

Lisbon Guide | Your travel guide to Lisbon

Lisbon Tourist Guide - Discover This Great City!

Alfama District of Lisbon - Tourist Guide

Given what you have said about you and your son, and your outlook - I would be inclined to steer you to the Alfama neighborhood. It has very cheap places to stay, and it is an old, crowded, neighborhood on the main hill with narrow twisting streets and alleys, and old fashion trolleys that are there because the new ones don't fit the narrow streets. Many immigrants live there now, along with Portuguese and it is filled with hole-in-the-wall restaurants and bars, and up at the top it has stunning views.

There used to be an inexpensive place up near the fort called Agúia (Eagle, or maybe it was Eagle's Nest.) No food, but great prices and right up there.....OK, I checked. It is called Pensão Residencial Ninho das Agúias, OK so more than one eagle, and it's a nest.

Reviews by guests at this site. It really sounds like it was made for you and your son. Waaaay up there above the newer part of the city, but right in the middle of a great neighborhood, and the trolley will get you down to the Baixa (lower part of town) via the old cathedral, etc. and drop you off right on or near (depending on the trolley) the Praça do Commercio, which is a large square on the river, built to impress after the Great Lisbon Earthquake of 1755.

Pensao Residencial Ninho das Aguias (Lisbon, Portugal) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Oh........do be aware, it is the custom in Portugal to bring bread and butter and a spread of tuna paste to the table when you order a meal. If you do not want this, say so. You are charged for it if you do not reject it or say when ordering that you do not want bread. It is the custom everywhere in Portugal and not a tourist ripoff as some whining Brits seem to think.

Last edited by kevxu; 06-18-2012 at 06:06 AM..

Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
You might want to look into Lisbon. It has a good transportation system in the city of buses, trollies and a subway. There are multiple day discount tickets. The city has both new and old parts. A number of museums. It is set on a large river and there are river cruises that give you a good look at the city, which is built on hills.

Portugal is certainly on the radar of very few Americans, so it might seem more "exotic" than most of the rest of Western Europe.

About prices I am clueless because I no longer have the slightest idea what things cost in the U.S.

Another plus is that there is a coastal railroad (a commuter one really) that goes along the coast north of the city, so you would have a chance to take a trip up there for very little money. There are also bus tours to the former royal palaces out in the countryside, Queluz and Sintra. And there are rail connexions to other parts of Portugal...so you might even think of a quick overnight trip to some other town or city.

I think the Eye Witness travel books are good. They are super thorough about the culture of a country, hotels, restaurants, etc. and they run the gamut from dirt cheap to five-star plus. They are, however, a bit sketchy on describing any individual sights, though they do hit everything.

www.visitlisboa.com

LISBON Portugal Tourism Guide: Cheap Hotels, Hostels, Apartments, Lisboa Tourist Sights - Go Lisbon!

Lisbon Guide | Your travel guide to Lisbon

Lisbon Tourist Guide - Discover This Great City!

Alfama District of Lisbon - Tourist Guide

Given what you have said about you and your son, and your outlook - I would be inclined to steer you to the Alfama neighborhood. It has very cheap places to stay, and it is an old, crowded, neighborhood on the main hill with narrow twisting streets and alleys, and old fashion trolleys that are there because the new ones don't fit the narrow streets. Many immigrants live there now, along with Portuguese and it is filled with hole-in-the-wall restaurants and bars, and up at the top it has stunning views.

There used to be an inexpensive place up near the fort called Agúia (Eagle, or maybe it was Eagle's Nest.) No food, but great prices and right up there.....OK, I checked. It is called Pensão Residencial Ninho das Agúias, OK so more than one eagle, and it's a nest.

Reviews by guests at this site. It really sounds like it was made for you and your son. Waaaay up there above the newer part of the city, but right in the middle of a great neighborhood, and the trolley will get you down to the Baixa (lower part of town) via the old cathedral, etc. and drop you off right on or near (depending on the trolley) the Praça do Commercio, which is a large square on the river, built to impress after the Great Lisbon Earthquake of 1755.

Pensao Residencial Ninho das Aguias (Lisbon, Portugal) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Oh........do be aware, it is the custom in Portugal to bring bread and butter and a spread of tuna paste to the table when you order a meal. If you do not want this, say so. You are charged for it if you do not reject it or say when ordering that you do not want bread. It is the custom everywhere in Portugal and not a tourist ripoff as some whining Brits seem to think.
I agree with regard to Portugal. By US standards it is very affordable. Lisbon is worth at least three days; day 1 - Lisbon, day 2- Belem, day 3 - Sintra. Cascais and Estoril add a couple more days. We also loved the Algarve and especially Cape St. Vincent, Sagres and Lagos.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
....We also loved the Algarve and especially Cape St. Vincent, Sagres and Lagos.
Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Old 06-18-2012, 11:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Hey, now I want to go to Lisbon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel