Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:55 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yup good point if you were dropped off in Lyon it would be pretty much the same as if you were dropped off in Osaka. People look the same, food is the same, local customs are the same, history and things to see and do are the same. No difference at all since both 1st world countries. I'd probably struggle to tell you which of the two I was in if you blindfolded me and pushed out of a van on the street in either place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Canada. Too much like the United States. Portugal, too much like Spain. Andorra, famous mostly by the Pete Seeger song, too small to be of interest.
Gheez you guys, none of this is true! Why don't you open your eyes!

Yes, many towns in the US look the same, especially out in the suburbs where the malls are. And yes, some Canadian towns are like that too. But the cities are very distinctive. Have a look around you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:37 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,315,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Gheez you guys, none of this is true! Why don't you open your eyes!

Yes, many towns in the US look the same, especially out in the suburbs where the malls are. And yes, some Canadian towns are like that too. But the cities are very distinctive. Have a look around you!
Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect Slackjaw had tongue firmly in cheek (jaw).

I can't imagine any serious traveler dismissing a whole continent, or even a part of a continent, as too uniform or boring for consideration. In fact, even in the U.S. suburbs, where houses and malls look the same, there are interesting and unique people waiting to be discovered. It can take a bit of archaelogical persistence to find that, though, but that's what has made writers like Joyce Carol Oates stand out. Same with the small towns and hamlets that dot the American interior--these are the twisted realms of Faulkner, Welty, and O'Connor. Why are such places considered "exotic" or "quaint" in Asia or Africa and (for some) Europe, but "boring" and "provincial" in the U.S.? Even if small towns and the "Northern Exposure Effect" are not your thing, to write off a larger entity like Western Europe is little more than stereotyping, very much like the "They all look alike" stereotyping summarily applied to many people around the globe. One of the things I love about travel is being able to see or revisit the seemingly (or deceptively) mundane in a different light.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:40 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect Slackjaw had tongue firmly in cheek (jaw).
Indeed I was.

Anyone who believes all developed countries are the same needs to get out more. It doesn't even need to be a different country... Bangalore is quite different than old Delhi, Casablanca is quite different than Tinerhir, Harbin is quite different than Guangzhou, and yeah Seattle is different than New Orleans.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm not interested in visiting most European countries. I went to France, got my camera stolen, and I've never been interested in coming back ever since. There are too many damn thieves and gypsies. The only country in Europe I'm remotely interested in visiting is Switzerland. Besides that, I'm pretty much done with Europe. It's overrated anyway.
Wow. You must never leave the house, if a stolen camera puts you off from an entire continent. I've had worse happen on my daily commute on the train in the US.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:11 AM

423 posts, read 629,215 times
Please, "first world", "second world", "third world" are Cold War terms that don't make any sense when used now.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:59 PM

487 posts, read 891,190 times
I agree that second world doesn't make sense now, but first and third do.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:07 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
Austria... It just doesn't appeal.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 AM

16 posts, read 23,270 times
United States, Canada, Israel, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Japan, Italy, Bahrain

Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, Ireland, Portugal Belguim, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Denmark, Luxembourg, Lichenstein, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Kuwait, Qatar, Israel, Bahrain.

I also truly wondering if the UK is worth visiting outside of London, particularly Wales and Scotland. I also don't understand why so many people want to visit Ireland for reasons other than family history/ancestry.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 PM

857 posts, read 2,217,320 times
Have traveled to other countries,can no longer do it because of elderly dogs.Disappointed at first but now I am happy just to go local.

Really what do you do when you travel,go around looking at things,getting tired out.

I suppose many people like to brag where they have been(like anyone is really interested)

No place like your own home for comfort.

Can always spend the money on great local resturants and local entertainment

The world is getting to be much alike.Even the Louve has McDonalds in it!

Just my opinion anyway,sure many will differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel