Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,847 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide me with some good ideas for fun skiing destinations for Christmas in the US? I'll be travelling with a dear friend and we're fairly budget conscious. We're both intermediate skiers, but it's been many years since I've skied so I'd like some nice easy slopes to get back into the swing of things.

We're looking for fun US resorts. I'm lucky enough to have skied in France and Austria many years ago, and I love being able to stop at chalets across the mountains, then ski back down to my accommodations. Some good taverns are must, but we're not really into a clubbing scene.

Are many of the resorts in Utah in dry counties? If so, we'd rather avoid those.

All suggestions are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 01:42 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
I spent Christmas of 1998 with a good friend in Park City, UT and had a great time. There is a wide range of skiing availble at the Park City Resort and the many neighboring resorts. The town is great with plenty of relaxed bars to hang out in. It is not dry but the booze laws are a little different there (though shouldn't be a deterrent) and clubs w/ liquor require a membership which can usually be had for $1. It is also VERY easy to get to Park City which is nice when traveling during holidays.

As much as I love the area ,I would not go to Jackson, WY as they have many more advanced ski runs and Christmas may still be a bit early for good snow cover there (depending on the year). I would also not go to Telluride or Durango in Colorado around Christmas as it is still a bit early for good snow cover if it happens to be a milder winter.

Breckenridge, Vail, Steamboat and Aspen are all worth considering, too for many of the same reasons as Park City. None are as easy to get to as Park City though and Aspen is most likely very expensive over the holidays.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:45 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
there is no longer a membership requirement to drink at bars in UT - which is nice (although the memberships were pretty much like a cover charge anyhow and pretty easy)

Old 08-01-2012, 03:25 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I spent Christmas of 1998 with a good friend in Park City, UT and had a great time. There is a wide range of skiing availble at the Park City Resort and the many neighboring resorts. The town is great with plenty of relaxed bars to hang out in. It is not dry but the booze laws are a little different there (though shouldn't be a deterrent) and clubs w/ liquor require a membership which can usually be had for $1. It is also VERY easy to get to Park City which is nice when traveling during holidays.

As much as I love the area ,I would not go to Jackson, WY as they have many more advanced ski runs and Christmas may still be a bit early for good snow cover there (depending on the year). I would also not go to Telluride or Durango in Colorado around Christmas as it is still a bit early for good snow cover if it happens to be a milder winter.

Breckenridge, Vail, Steamboat and Aspen are all worth considering, too for many of the same reasons as Park City. None are as easy to get to as Park City though and Aspen is most likely very expensive over the holidays.
Good post. The skiing in Jackson is great but definitely not for intermediates. We skied in Alta last January and it was great. But Alta is small and there is not so much to do in the evenings and not much choice of restaurants. The year before we skied Solitude. Same comments as for Alta.

Of the suggestions above, I would recommend Steamboat Springs. Not as 'upscale' as Vail or Aspen so probably a bit cheaper while having better skiing - and a very good range of runs for intermediate skiers - than Breckenridge.

Steamboat is also a nice town with a western feel to it. Plenty of choice for restaurants and bars and a shuttle service so you don't need to drive.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Park City can be "iffy" at Christmas, plan to ski at Salt Lake City, and stay on the other side of the mountian, I would choose Snowbird, Alta, Solitude, and Brighton. Plan a day or two for Park City...but don't stay there...Park City is better in February and March. If you stay in Park City, it is just too far of a drive to go to Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon every day...Just my opinion...There are plenty of hotels to stay at just below Big and Little Cottonwood, on 7200 South, or even Foothill Blvd, which would be a great place to find a lower cost hotel. But if money is not a problem, stay at Alta or Snowbird.

Big Sky, Montana, outside of Bozeman can have some good snow at Christmas time...ski into the lodge there...can't beat the scenery of Montana skiing...

I like Brianhead, small resort in Southern Utah, often overlooked...but sometimes, snow at Christmas can be iffy. BTW, there are no dry counties in Utah.

Have you considered Taos?

Last edited by jasper12; 08-01-2012 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: edit.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
there is no longer a membership requirement to drink at bars in UT - which is nice (although the memberships were pretty much like a cover charge anyhow and pretty easy)
Yeah ... but the beer is weak and, where we were, the bar could only serve beer. Not wine or liquor. For wine you had to go to the restaurant.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Banff.
Banff, Alberta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2012, 09:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
For Christmas, I would go north (Canada) / BC / Alberta.

Utah for Feb (valentines day)

Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
People in the northeastern part of the USA, go up to Vermont for skiing in the winter.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
People in the northeastern part of the USA, go up to Vermont for skiing in the winter.
The skiing sucks compared to the West.

Unless you like skiing on ice or hard packed snow in the bitter cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel