Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

We're also assuming you have the time and money to do it, but it would take guts, involve some risk-taking.

I've always wanted to fly to Istanbul, go by land across Turkey, go south to Israel, then head east, by land, clear across North Africa to Casablanca! Of course, with Syria in disarray now, I'd probably have to fly over that country!

But I know too well, it isn't going to happen, as I'm getting too up there in age!

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:21 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times
i'm about to do it actually. I'm going to get an Iranian visa on my non-US passport and fly from UAE into Tehran and do some exploring. Take a picture by the old US Embassy.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:43 AM

122 posts, read 155,937 times
I'm not really into scary places. I travel to unwind and not stress myself out and I've watched a lot of I shouldn't be alive and locked up abroad episodes but if I have the money and maybe the guts, I'm pretty curious on the amazon river/jungle.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:27 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Cape town to Singapore, by land.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Hmmn, I can't think of anywhere I don't have the guts to go to if I have time and money. Papua New Guinea can be dangerous, but I'd go there in a heartbeat. Maybe Cuba, but the only guts I'd need is fear of DOS issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieology View Post
I'm pretty curious on the amazon river/jungle.

That's a simple one, do it. The pink dolphins, unfortunately the logging boats... its great. No fear involved. It is an amazing place.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:29 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
We're also assuming you have the time and money to do it, but it would take guts, involve some risk-taking.

I've always wanted to fly to Istanbul, go by land across Turkey, go south to Israel, then head east, by land, clear across North Africa to Casablanca! Of course, with Syria in disarray now, I'd probably have to fly over that country!

But I know too well, it isn't going to happen, as I'm getting too up there in age!

How about you?
Your North Africa route doesn't take guts, just takes loads of complex visas and transportation planning. Even money can't take care of all that (but "bakseesh" helps indeed).

I would probably cross a portion of the South China sea in a 15 foot fishing boat/catamaran, hoping from one Indonesian island to another...wait I did that.
Maybe walk a trail in Nepal to see how close I can get to Mt. Everest....wait, I did that.
Get a rental car in South Africa and drive it into some random part of Swaziland where their last contact with the west seemed to be the last UN relief mission...wait, I did that.
OK then, maybe sign up for a manned mission to Mars - I haven't done that.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:29 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

How about you?
When one goes from Turkey to Israel, one normally flies. From there to get to North Africa to reach Casablanca by land one goes southwest from Israel via the Sinai Desert and Egypt. There is no need to go via Syria and therefore it isn't really that scary or that dangerous unless you absolutely feel you must go by land. You could probably take a ship and go by sea instead (if you don't like flying) which might sail via Cyprus.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Your North Africa route doesn't take guts, just takes loads of complex visas and transportation planning. Even money can't take care of all that (but "bakseesh" helps indeed).
I did spend 7 days touring Morocco, back in the late 80's, and that sort of whetted my appetite for more of North Africa and the Muslim countries, but at 64, and with some health problems, don't think I'm going to make that trip.

In the last 10 years, I did make 7 trips to South America and 5 trips to Central America, where, while there, only rode the chicken buses and in the backs of Pick-ups, which was great fun. After my first trip to Central America, I quickly realized that no guts/risk-taking were needed.

But, after 20 years living in the desert, long unaccustomed to humidity, high humidity zones are off the charts for me now!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:56 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Ummm, I guess just hanging out around Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala. I know nothing will happen there probably, but those are among the few that would make me lean on the nervous side. I also run in to many that had issues with petty crime in Brazil that make me iffy about wandering around carefree.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Cape town to Singapore, by land.
I like this ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel