Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:22 PM

206 posts, read 158,465 times

Advertisements

When I was younger packing was some of my favorite parts lol but not as much now but I still happen to like it! I like planning outfits and junk.

Do you love it, hate it, like it, or could care less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 12:56 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
For me, the only thing I like about packing is the anticipation of the trip, not actually planning what I should/shouldn't bring. My packing routine begins with me swearing I will not overpack and will go bare minimum. Then I proceed to overpack. Then I have to sort through what I have to remove. Once that's all settled and I'm about to zip it up, I realize I have forgotten something essential like my toiletry bag and have to rearrange everything.

Or there's that dread that I've left something essential off "the list".

Ah, but that feeling of relief when you're packed and just have to settle in, relax, and get ready for the trip...that's the good stuff.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:01 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
Packing is a pain, but the anticipation of the trip makes it a bit exciting.

However, unpacking upon returning home sucks!

Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 PM

182 posts, read 477,228 times
I have a love hate relationship with packing.

The things that I hate:

- I tend to overthink/overanalyze the trip which leads to OVERPACKING. In my mind, I want to be prepared for every possible situation and for some reason have some crazy concern that I'll run out of clothes before the trip is over, lol

- I can NEVER pack ahead of time. On every trip that I go on, I'm packing/doing laundry that night before I leave or worse yet, the morning of.

- Unpacking - This is the worst thing ever. It takes my wife and I weeks (literally) to completely unpack from a trip.

The things that I love:

- Free Bags! - Since about 95% of my travel involves driving or flying on Southwest (2 bags fly free), I never have to deal with any financial consequences from overpacking.

- Always prepared - I love the feeling of having everything I need on my trip (clothes, gadgets, entertainment, etc.)

- Excitement of the Trip - Nearly all of my trips are recreational or to visit family, so there's always that sense of excitement when I pack.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
For me, the only thing I like about packing is the anticipation of the trip, not actually planning what I should/shouldn't bring. My packing routine begins with me swearing I will not overpack and will go bare minimum. Then I proceed to overpack. Then I have to sort through what I have to remove. Once that's all settled and I'm about to zip it up, I realize I have forgotten something essential like my toiletry bag and have to rearrange everything.

Or there's that dread that I've left something essential off "the list".

Ah, but that feeling of relief when you're packed and just have to settle in, relax, and get ready for the trip...that's the good stuff.
haha I always tell myself that I won't pack much. Then I bring everything but the kitchen sink.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Packing is a pain, but the anticipation of the trip makes it a bit exciting.

However, unpacking upon returning home sucks!
Ugh I agree! The only good thing about unpacking is to look at your souvenirs if you bought any lol

Old 05-09-2014, 02:35 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
I love packing, even if it's just to go away for the weekend. I hate unpacking when I get home, even though I just throw everything into the laundry regardless of whether or not I wore it.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:30 PM

19,439 posts, read 27,844,220 times
It's a necessary evil. Like driving in traffic or going to the dentist.

But we do not check bags on our outbound trips anymore. Lose the bag ONCE, and you'll never risk it again. Carry on only, period. (We will allow them to take them at the gate, and will check luggage going home, if it's free.)

We've done 3 weeks in Asia, 21 day cruises, with just two carry ons. These packing cubes make an ENORMOUS difference! They are truly wonderful.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:29 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I couldn't care less. I see packing as one of things that I need to be do before a trip and I do it.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:24 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Shrug. No big deal. I pack what I think I might need and if I forget something important, I will buy a new one while I am there.

I don't own anything that is crucial to my existence except for my prescriptions and my reading glasses. I am very careful to double check that those are with me. Anything else, I can do without for a few days.

Maybe if I were going for a job interview, I might stress over what to take. But I've never flown across country for a job interview and I'd probably take what I'd wear to a job interview at home. Not a difficult decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel