Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:46 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,777 times

Advertisements

Wow, some great travel tools and planning advice/tips here! I feel for the OP and would also say look into video communication.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:55 PM

442 posts, read 496,820 times
Sign up for the Rapid Rewards Credit Card through Southwest. They are having a 50,000 mile promo right now. After your first purchase, you will get 50,000 miles. Which, my family of 4 flew on for a few trips.

And they award miles $ for $. It adds up fast.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:20 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Frontier is another low cost airline that sometimes has excellent sale rates, though I don't know if they go into the cities you need.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:21 PM

896 posts, read 1,140,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
Sign up for the Rapid Rewards Credit Card through Southwest. They are having a 50,000 mile promo right now. After your first purchase, you will get 50,000 miles. Which, my family of 4 flew on for a few trips.

I agree with this. With each of you applying for your own card, it could amount to 4 free RT tickets total. It all helps. Read the fine print. I believe you need to spend xx amount of dollars within a certain time period to qualify for the points/miles. This was our experience, but, very doable.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:56 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
^^Southwest card is a solid suggestion. I doubt it will be 4 free RT tickets (50,000 RR points is = $714) but would probably be at least two roundtrips.

Although I'm a veteran airline rewards card user, I was hesitant to recommend the airline credit card route as credit cards can be dangerous for some people. But if you are organized and disciplined this actually might be your magical solution.

After the southwest card, I'd suggest whatever airline/travel card gives you the best bonus. Occasionally they target specific individuals with better deals so I can't tell you for sure which will give you the best bonus, but generally Chase Sapphire will be a solid bet for most people. If you get it that should give you two more roundtrip flights. Besides Southwest, United and AA are the best for redeeming miles.

If this appeals to you, there are many websites you can access that will teach you the ropes so you can maximize your rewards. You need to have decent credit, and hopefully be someone who already spends an average amount of money per month (I don't like the idea of you wasting money on things just to get the bonus, although there are workarounds/hacks for this)

Again, one more word of caution that you seem a little desperate and this can be a very slippery slope...opening lots and lots of credit card accounts. But if you're careful, disciplined and organized it could be your ticket (literally) to a bunch of free flights for the next year. Dont tell your girlfriend to do it unless you're certain she is also very disciplined.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
airfarewatchdog will send you updates on routes that you specify (at the price you state).

also the legacy carriers have weekly emails on Weds that give bargains to fill seats for the following weekend. (you might be able to meet in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Frankfurt...; cheaper than flying back to PA)

I typically use SWA, low fare calender as Saturdays and Sundays can be inexpensive if booked far enough out.

Often DISTANCE is a benefit to strengthening relationships.
I have a box of letters that an elderly couple (married for nearly 70 yrs) wrote EVERYDAY while 10,000 miles apart during war assignments.

Some things are better expressed in a deeply felt hand written letter, than by modern technology. (or by a quick weekend together... those can be nice on occasion also). Life has a way of throwing curve balls. We've been apart more than 8 of the last 12 months, but have precious (few) moments together. We often fly to a common meeting place, rather than to home. 35 yrs, and hoping for another, but chronic illnesses may cut us short.

Make it count, be loyal, keep your sense of humor and adventure.
Respect each other's space. And don't get all emotional about it...

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-15-2014 at 09:52 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 08:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
My husband and I have been living in seperate households 1000 miles apart for going on 10 years. At this point his boss allows him to telecommute two weeks out of the month, but it wasn't always like that, and we had several years where he was here for a long weekend every month, using PTO to extend a day or two.

If you are serious and committed to your relationship, a year or two until she can move to you or you can move to her really won't matter. IF your relationship can't withstand that test of time, it wasn't meant to be.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:01 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My husband and I have been living in seperate households 1000 miles apart for going on 10 years. At this point his boss allows him to telecommute two weeks out of the month, but it wasn't always like that, and we had several years where he was here for a long weekend every month, using PTO to extend a day or two.

If you are serious and committed to your relationship, a year or two until she can move to you or you can move to her really won't matter. IF your relationship can't withstand that test of time, it wasn't meant to be.

I disagree with your last sentence.

I believe there are many successful relationships/marriages that could not stand the test of long seperations.

Doesn't mean they weren't..........."meant to be "

Old 05-16-2014, 09:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I disagree with your last sentence.

I believe there are many successful relationships/marriages that could not stand the test of long seperations.

Doesn't mean they weren't..........."meant to be "
If they couldn't stand seperation, they weren't successful... Couples who want to make it work will find a way.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:36 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post

I second this. Get a Southwest or other airline credit card. Compare the cards to see which will add up to more free flights. Then use it to buy everything (gas, groceries...) to earn the max amount of points, as long as you pay off the balance each month.

Also have you thought about meeting half way? Check out the Kayak "explore" tool. You can put in your closest airport and max budget and see where you can fly for that much. I just took a quick look and it seems like your best bet cost wise would be for her to fly to Dallas and you drive up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel