Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times

Advertisements

As I read through here I am reminded this is the 21st century and time is of the up-most importance, even when relaxing. People want to speed up their relaxation so they break their necks flying. It use to be traveling was as much of an adventure as getting to the destination. People don't see traveling in the same light since they commute everyday and fly too often. It is no longer something they might look forward to and are usually the sour tales read on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 10:06 PM

300 posts, read 438,747 times
The best way to save on Amtrack is book way ahead. it can be cheeper if you share a room with others. as you pay per tick plus the cost of the room. I take amtrac from WRJ to NYC (the vermonter) often and it's a blast!!! 6 hours in the train v. 5 hours in the car. But ican work online and don't have to worry about my car in NYC> I always wanted to take the southwest chif to NM and expler the native american sites. yaknow a buthc casidy sundanc kid trip. ;;;

Old 05-17-2014, 05:15 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,207,988 times
I once took Amtrak from NYC to Burlington, Vermont (via New Haven) and learned that I am too jumpy for it. I got bored. Wife loved it, and she is the opposite -- patient and takes things easy.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:52 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
I love traveling by train. Feels like stepping back in time. The steady rhythm of the train is relaxing and creative. I usually get a good deal of work done and am rested when I arrive.

The roomettes are snug, but the bedrooms are fine. However, I'm just as happy stretched out in one of the coach seats. I sleep like a baby, read, daydream, write...

The onboard dining leaves a bit to be desired. Ordinary fare. But the prices aren't bad, so there's that. Amtrak - Plan - Onboard - Meals & Dining - Our Menus

I pack fruit, cheese, salads, sandwich, water... and nibble along the way. At union station in Chicago, I head to the mezzanine level and get sandwiches and salads to go. Chicago Union Station :: Retail Guide There are some decent places to grab a bite in Penn Station in NYC too, as I recall.

I like that I arrive in the center of town instead of at an airport that requires yet more shuffling around.

I like that train travel makes the trip part of the vacation rather than just something to be endured to get there. Feels like it stretches out my vacation.

DH and I traveled down the West Coast from Seattle to San Clemente, stopping along the way to visit family and friends. It was grand. One of these days, I plan to get a Rail Pass where you get 8 segments in 15 days for $450. Seems like if I put my mind to it, I could figure out a schedule where we would have brief visits with friends along the way.

Sitting up in the observation car, watching the world glide by... nothing else quite like it.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-17-2014 at 06:10 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 07:13 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
We love taking the train.

There are 2 levels of sleeper and we found the highest level was not worth the premium price. At the highest level you get your own toilet and shower. But the downside - on our train, The Crescent - was that the car was right behind the locomotive, which blew its horn incessantly all night as we crossed over roads. Many roads. Hundreds of roads....all night.

But if you are going to Washington, DC that is sure the way to arrive. Right down town.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:40 AM

556 posts, read 946,763 times
I take Amtrak all the time, but I live in Baltimore and most of my family lives within 5 hours by train. If you're traveling along the east coast from Virginia to Boston, Amtrak can be faster, equal, or slightly slower than flying, depending on distance (and counting TSA time). Regardless of time difference, the Amtrak experience is far more enjoyable than flying. The train station is a 5 minute bus ride away from my apartment, versus a 45 minute light rail ride to the airport. I can bring work with me and get quite a lot done on the train - plenty of space (even with seat in front reclined), free internet, outlets at every seat, and no rules about when you can/can't use a laptop. I like being able to get up a walk around without having to contort myself and climb over people. Traveling south, I usually have a row to myself as soon as we get to DC. Going north, I have a row to myself until we get to Philly. I like being able to bring a picnic on board, and make it as elaborate or simple as possible (including bringing my own adult beverage of choice). As long as I plan ahead, the train is cheaper than flying or renting a car, plus Amtrak's ticket pricing is transparent and straightforward, no trying to guess if/when prices will be the best.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:47 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Why do you think that trains are taking some especially routes that are so much more beautiful than the freeways? Also there are side roads and scenic routes which you can't take from your train seat. If I want to get there I fly, if I want to meander, I drive. Trains are for throwing rocks at.
Well that's certainly your right, and your choice to make. But I appreciate that you do admit that the train route is most often "more beautiful" than the driving route is.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:02 PM

217 posts, read 326,087 times
Amtrak's prices are ridiculous. It's cheaper for me to rent a vehicle and stay in hotels on a long trip than it is to get a sleeping train car room.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamosgp View Post
Amtrak's prices are ridiculous. It's cheaper for me to rent a vehicle and stay in hotels on a long trip than it is to get a sleeping train car room.
For cheap, check out the buses or rent a car.

For fast, check the airlines.

For civilized travel, check out the train.

There's a reason I don't stay at Motel 6 or Red Roof Inns any more. Same reason I don't take the bus and avoid driving more than two or so hours a day. Life is short enough as it is. No sense in it making it ridiculous.

Flying works if I have to go a long distance in a short time. But it is so unpleasant and I'm irritated ad exhausted when I get there.

If I have the time, I take the train.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:04 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
I like the train and wish there were more routes and more trains. Yes -- I'd like prices to come down. The cost of a roomette fluctuates based on the departure day so be flexible. I found Sunday departures to be the cheapest on routes I travel but I guess prices are highest in vacation season -- with higher demand. It is a good idea to have ear plugs because sleepers are close to the locomotives. If you are in a roomette by yourself, remember you are paying for two persons' meals so "chow down". Also don't be shy...you will be seated with strangers but you will be friends by dessert...and you will see them again in the lounge car. I've met the most interesting people that way. A long distance train trip is like a community on wheels if you open up to the experience. I've brought a tent, sleeping bags and camping gear along with several suitcases on a train trip (try that on a plane). The roomettes are cozy but adequate, the scenery is nice and the attendant keeps the coffee pot going.

I just flew 1000 miles in what seemed to be an Otis elevator compartment that was crammed with people. It was delayed and I had to go to a city I didn't want to be in. For reasons never explained I had to change planes when it was supposed to be a continuation flight. I got to stand in three lines and jump through hoops in three different cities for the privilege of flying. They provided me with peanuts, pretzels and a coke. I got to sit with my feet crammed around a carry-on. No one was fit company by the time we were airborn. The baby in front of me pooped in her diaper and I was hoping the oxygen mask would drop. The other passengers plugged in to their mobile devices and avoided eye contact. And...get this...the company charged me a hefty fee for this experience. This is not a rational way to travel. Train travel would have cost more and taken more time but it would have been enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel