Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a good packer?
Yes, I roll (my clothes) in style. 41 82.00%
No, I have too many suitcases. 7 14.00%
I never go anywhere! 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:08 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

I am headed on a trip this week to my family reunion. I remember the first one I went to, my cousins were floored at the size of my suitcase. My sister and I, typically have the farthest to go and the smallest suitcases! Everyone had 2x more suitcases than we did. They were shocked and amazed at the amount of stuff we cold fit in the standard carry-on sized bag. Now we are officially known as the packing masters of the family.

So my question to you, are you a good packer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 11:21 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
I pack very light. I've never rolled my clothes though. Just never needed to. Had plenty of room for my things without rolling. I just focus on lightweight fabrics and packing as little as possible. For example, I never pack jeans and very rarely pack tennis shoes (too bulky!) In fact, I've been known to travel a week for business and not pack any shoes. The shoes I wear to travel are professional, comfortable, and go with everything, so there's no need for other shoes.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
I wouldn't say I am a good packer, I just pack light. My wife is a good packer, she can fit so much crap into a small space it is unbelievable.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:37 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I pack very light. I've never rolled my clothes though. Just never needed to. Had plenty of room for my things without rolling. I just focus on lightweight fabrics and packing as little as possible. For example, I never pack jeans and very rarely pack tennis shoes (too bulky!) In fact, I've been known to travel a week for business and not pack any shoes. The shoes I wear to travel are professional, comfortable, and go with everything, so there's no need for other shoes.
I can't wear the same shoes multiple days in a row! Usually my feet hate it. I am also an overpacker, I never know what I'll be in the mood for. I like to have options, so I use my space really efficiently. I always bring at least one extra outfit in case I don't like one of my choices for the day.

I'll be gone from tonight to Sunday and I've got walking tours, a Broadway show, brunch on a boat, and then of course typical touristy stuff, so I needed to bring a change of outfits for some days. Which also meant extra shoes. And it might rain. So I really had to load up on stuff!

For my trip I've got (besides the toiletries and the like)

4 dresses
3 shirts
2 cardigans
1 pair of leggings
1 jacket
2 belts
1 skirt
3 shoes (not including the ones I am wearing)

I also have a travel yoga mat, umbrella, reusable tote bag, and a flatiron. Travel pillow for my redeye cross country flight. This all fits in my standard carry-on sized suitcase! On the way home I might need use my expansion, since I'll have some bulky souvenirs/take homes.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
I used to be a horrible packer and I'd bring way too much stuff. Once I started traveling more often, for work and pleasure, that changed. I rarely check a bag, I can usually fit most things in a carry-on. I recently did 10 days in Europe (as did my husband) with only a carry-on, no problem.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:15 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
This poll needs to be changed to 'are you a light packer?' because packing light does not always = very good. Example: going on an important business trip and packing nothing but one pair of ripped jeans and a tee (depending on your business of course), or going to Fairbanks in Feb and not bringing a bulky jacket. Also, I know it's a pun, but choice #1 implies that rolling is always the best way to pack, which I disagree with unless you can't fold well. I didn't answer the poll yet, BTW.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:09 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times
I've traveled a fair bit over the course of my life, since a very young age, and I would say I've gotten pretty good at packing well and packing light. I go carry-on only; one bag just under the size limit and another smaller bag. I haven't checked a bag in maybe ten years.

I bring the minimum amount of clothing that's reasonable for the time frame, and I tightly pack it into freezer bags, sit on them, and then seal them. I bring a tablet for reading, watching videos, and so on. Maybe a paperback book. I might bring an extra pair of shoes if the trip warrants it. I use travel-size toiletries in a small case. That's most of it right there...

My general rule is I don't bring more luggage than what I could carry for a several-mile walk.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
I pack a lot in the suitcase and still meet the carry-on weight requirement. I pack lightweight clothes and layer and fold rather than rolling (fewer wrinkles).

Old 07-24-2014, 12:30 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am headed on a trip this week to my family reunion. I remember the first one I went to, my cousins were floored at the size of my suitcase. My sister and I, typically have the farthest to go and the smallest suitcases! Everyone had 2x more suitcases than we did. They were shocked and amazed at the amount of stuff we cold fit in the standard carry-on sized bag. Now we are officially known as the packing masters of the family.

So my question to you, are you a good packer?
Yes, I am!

Old 07-24-2014, 12:54 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
My packing looks like I threw everything into the trash compactor and cycled it thru before putting it in my suitcase. On the plus side I am very low maintenance so I do not have to pack 6 kinds of hair care products, enough shoes to open a shoe store, 3 changes of clothes per day of travel, or arctic survival gear on the 1 in a 100 million chance it might snow during my Caribbean cruise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel