Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:13 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times

Advertisements

I travel a lot and am tired of people who recline their seats all the way back. If it was up to me there would be no recline at all. The news is full of stories of passengers fighting over seat recline. I would solve it by eliminating that option.

What do you think about reclining seats on planes? Please take my poll.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
If you travel "a lot" you have status with your carrier and fly first or business on free upgrades. Otherwise, no, you don't travel "a lot."

I'd suggest that if this is that important to you that you buy first, business, or premium economy seats in the future.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you travel "a lot" you have status with your carrier and fly first or business on free upgrades. Otherwise, no, you don't travel "a lot."

I'd suggest that if this is that important to you that you buy first, business, or premium economy seats in the future.
Many people travel a lot and have no status with a carrier because they book based only on the fare at the time.
Many businesses also now shop for the best fares when sending employee on business travel, and that is usually a last resort anymore, many businesses resort to teleconferencing.

Believe it or not most of the planet doesn't travel in the same orbit as you do

O/P...it depends on the length of flight, the time and the person behind me. I will look over my seat to see if my reclining will impact them

Old 08-26-2014, 07:22 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
There was a recent incident:
Air passengers fight over reclining seat forces unscheduled landing* - NY Daily News

I didn't know such a gadget existed - "knee defender" to prevent seats in front of you from reclining. My opinion - in coach they should just rig each seat to prevent recline (some airlines do apparently). There is just not enough space.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There was a recent incident:
Air passengers fight over reclining seat forces unscheduled landing* - NY Daily News

I didn't know such a gadget existed - "knee defender" to prevent seats in front of you from reclining. My opinion - in coach they should just rig each seat to prevent recline (some airlines do apparently). There is just not enough space.
Knee Defenders are prohibited on most airlines. If someone wants more space, they should simply pay for it.

If my flight is between 7:00 am or so and 8:00 pm or so, I rarely recline. If it's very early am or late evening or red eye, I recline--although not during a meal service. I almost always get upgrades, when I know it won't happen, I pay for them if it's a flight over a couple hours in length.

By the way, the guy in that article was being an ass. She shouldn't have thrown the water at him, but he was the root cause and a total ass. He should be put on the no fly list for interfering with the command of the flight attendant.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Many people travel a lot and have no status with a carrier because they book based only on the fare at the time.
Many businesses also now shop for the best fares when sending employee on business travel, and that is usually a last resort anymore, many businesses resort to teleconferencing.

Believe it or not most of the planet doesn't travel in the same orbit as you do

O/P...it depends on the length of flight, the time and the person behind me. I will look over my seat to see if my reclining will impact them
Actually most employers will take an employees preference for carrier into account when booking tickets, and as long as the cost is close, will book the preferred carrier.

People who refuse to spend $3 more for a ticket to fly with a single carrier are penny wise and pound foolish. That loyalty will gain not only upgrades but also who do you think will get the seats on the next flight when one is cancelled? I'll give you a hint--it's not Tom and Betty from Iowa flying on the deeply discounted ticket--they'll be the ones sitting in ORD for three days with no hotel waiting for seats on a plane after a blizzard has cancelled their connection while the person who was loyal will be on the first flight out. If they have a high level of loyalty, yes, the carrier will bump others for that passenger when it's quietly pushed. I know this for a fact, I've had people bumped so I could get a seat.

Trust me, my carrier of choice cares a lot more about the $50K a year I spend with them than they do about the Hatfields who spend $183 pp on r/t tickets to Florida once a year.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:07 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually most employers will take an employees preference for carrier into account when booking tickets, and as long as the cost is close, will book the preferred carrier.
Not mine. Employee preference doesn't come into play at all.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:12 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Mine either

Old 08-26-2014, 08:15 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
We need a override to go on the Non Preferred airlines (we have two), and they don't give overrides willingly.

We direct about 60% of the Traffic to one airline, About 30% to 2nd perferred airline, and ~10 to overrides to everyone else.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
And I would agree that is the case for most employees below the owner level. Annerk lives Wonderland sometimes. Though the deciding factor on which airline is rarely only a $3 difference.

I will agree with her that loyalty counts and earns privileges with airlines and hotels.

I did not vote in the poll because it lacks my answer: It depends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

And that's the correct answer. Common courtesy isn't very common anymore, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel