Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 01:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
There are also others who do not celebrate either Christmas or Hanukkah.
To each their own. I'm certainly not offended by someone wishing me a Happy :insert name of holiday here:. I take it as a sentiment of good cheer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 03:58 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
There are also others who do not celebrate either Christmas or Hanukkah.
So what? Their rights do not supersede mine or anyone else's.

Besides, if simply being told Merry Christmas makes your blood boil to the point of a DEFCON 5 freakout, you really should seriously consider getting a CAT scan. Maybe the flight attendant should have just punched him in the mouth instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
To each their own. I'm certainly not offended by someone wishing me a Happy :insert name of holiday here:. I take it as a sentiment of good cheer.
It is. Only a complete idiot or total nutjobber would think otherwise.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:16 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Whether it's appropriate or not, if someone wishes someone else "Merry Christmas," the correct response is "Thank You." Because whether one celebrates the holiday or not, they should recognize the intent behind the statement, which is simply to wish someone well.
That is exactly right. And had they said, "Happy Holidays" instead he likely would have thrown a fit over that, too. The man just wanted a reason to be an a---h---.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:45 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I was surprised they were wishing people a Merry Christmas in the first place since they are in a business with a wide range of diversity. The passenger obviously overreacted and if I would have been him, I would simply have smiled and let it go. I find both the airline and the passenger at fault in this case.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:33 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
This man is an example of almost everything that's wrong with this country. Rude, obnoxious, self-entitled, mean-spirited, and so individualistic and antipathetic toward our tradition and heritage, seeking instead to replace it with something else more to his soulless liking. That he takes offense to such an innocuous display of goodwill toward a stranger in accordance with the Christmas spirit is evidence of his hatred for our heritage. And his sorry, self-entitled attitude which he thinks gives him the right to berate others goes hand-in-hand with his cynicism and his evident preference for rootlessness over heritage and traditional values. This man is representative of what the soulless character globalism entails. I'm glad he was booted from the flight. If only we could boot him from our land as well. What a shameful excuse for an American.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:04 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There are probably times in theory where it's a good idea to get into it with a flight crew, though I can't think of a single one right now, and this definitely wasn't it.
If the airplane appears to be on fire, I might… and once did…

otherwise Merry Christmas to you.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:52 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
So what? Their rights do not supersede mine or anyone else's.

Besides, if simply being told Merry Christmas makes your blood boil to the point of a DEFCON 5 freakout, you really should seriously consider getting a CAT scan. Maybe the flight attendant should have just punched him in the mouth instead.

It is. Only a complete idiot or total nutjobber would think otherwise.
You completely missed longnecker's point. He never said that anyone is right in reacting this way to a simple "Merry Christmas". All he implied was that there are better things for a flight attendant to say than the two options mentioned ("Merry Christmas" and "Happy Hanukkah"). The obvious one being "Happy Holidays".

Everyone agrees that this passenger was out of line.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:54 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I was surprised they were wishing people a Merry Christmas in the first place since they are in a business with a wide range of diversity. The passenger obviously overreacted and if I would have been him, I would simply have smiled and let it go. I find both the airline and the passenger at fault in this case.
Well, it's hard not to blame both. As another poster put it in another thread on the topic, the flight attendant's job is to accommodate each individual. But most of the blame goes towards the passenger. There were several passengers on that plane that don't celebrate Christmas and were likely offended or puzzled. But only one unreasonable passenger lashed out.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:42 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Silly passenger & silly airline!
Idiot passenger and competent airline.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:43 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There were several passengers on that plane that don't celebrate Christmas and were likely offended or puzzled.
Why would any normal adult be offended by someone saying "Merry Christmas"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel