Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:39 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times

Advertisements

Yep, twice. Both times by a female.

When I was much younger, I went to more festivals like Mardi Gras and music festivals. I like music, a good party, and, well, women. I like them a lot.

So, inevitably these events turned into some excessive partying with the opposite sex. Dancing too close to multiple females in the course of the evening doesn't always turn out great, and I lost 2 wallets to these vixens...

Of course, I could retrace the steps and possibly rule out a female, but I've done that and kept coming back to the same perp....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 08:13 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
The only time I've used a money belt when travelling was when I was doing something active, where a purse/bag would be cumbersome (kayaking, hiking, etc.). I usually use a cross-body bag or pure with a relatively short strap. At night, depending on where I'm going (out to dinner or a bar) I might have a clutch purse. I'm cautious but not paranoid--it's just never been a huge fear of mine.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
How would they know who is a local & who is not?
Easily. Not only are tourists generally dressed differently than locals and speaking to each other in foreign languages rather than the local language, they're found in different places. Locals aren't visiting the city, they're living in the city. They don't visit the tourist hotspots much, and when they are there, they're not taking pictures and gawping at the sights.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:10 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Easily. Not only are tourists generally dressed differently than locals and speaking to each other in foreign languages rather than the local language, they're found in different places. Locals aren't visiting the city, they're living in the city. They don't visit the tourist hotspots much, and when they are there, they're not taking pictures and gawping at the sights.
I'm sure there are plenty of tourists who look & act just like the locals.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of tourists who look & act just like the locals.
Some, but not most. And a pickpocket doesn't have to be a criminal genius to recognize that most of the people walking around in the Roman Forum, visiting the Louve, or gazing at the Parthenon aren't locals.

"So, how was your trip to Rome? Did you see the Vatican, and the Colosseum, and the Pantheon?"

"Oh, we skipped those places, because we didn't want to look like tourists! We stayed in an apartment in a nondescript neighborhood on the outskirts of the city, and spent our time visiting the nearby office parks, shopping malls, bank branches, and supermarkets, just like the locals do."

Old 02-20-2015, 09:24 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
I haven't had the experience so far and I hope I will never have one.

I've seen one, but it wasn't really a pickpocket incident, more like theft. While I was in Avignon, France, having breakfast, a guy walked into the hotel then entered the restaurant then grabbed one of the lady's bag while she was getting food. She was very alert so she sorta pulled that guy, tried to kept him from fleeing, others came to help very soon, so the theft ended up as an attempt, fortunately.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:28 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I live stateside, I don't really worry about pickpocketing b/c it's not every day that I walk around with my passport in hand. Currently in my wallet: my debit card, two credit cards and my ID. I don't carry cash around me, and if I do, it's no more than $20. My mom got mugged 20 years ago, so I think that's where I got that idea of carrying as little as possible. But the advice here is great, and something I've told my girlfriend about. We're going to Barcelona, Paris, London, and...Rome I think. I'm just extra worried b/c I'm also going to have an engagement ring with me, which will be insured before I travel.
Just leave your passport and one of those credit cards in your room. Cash for one or two meals, since some restaurants (especially smaller ones) won't accept credit or debit cards. Most other shops will accept both types of cards. In addition to that, I'd carry some sort of Photo ID (driving license, ...) in case you are asked to identify yourself. Put both your phone and your wallet in the front pockets of your trousers and there is no way in hell something could happen.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Some, but not most. And a pickpocket doesn't have to be a criminal genius to recognize that most of the people walking around in the Roman Forum, visiting the Louve, or gazing at the Parthenon aren't locals.

"So, how was your trip to Rome? Did you see the Vatican, and the Colosseum, and the Pantheon?"

"Oh, we skipped those places, because we didn't want to look like tourists! We stayed in an apartment in a nondescript neighborhood on the outskirts of the city, and spent our time visiting the nearby office parks, shopping malls, bank branches, and supermarkets, just like the locals do."

Why the head smack? Shrug, I just don't worry about pickpocketing, it could just as easily happen here so I don't know why people get to leery about it. When I went to Nicaragua I was on an island that had no bank, no ATMs. I walked around with over a thousand dollars in cash because most places didn't take credit cards either. Nothing was stolen, I didn't worry about anything getting stolen because I had my messenger bag on me at all times except when I was back at my casita. And there I locked my wallet up in the safe provided.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Why the head smack?
The head smack wasn't amined at you. It was to demonstrate how dumb my mock conversation above was, where the tourists skip all the amazing things to see and do in the city because they want to look just like a local and blend in. I certainly hope that anyone who visits my city goes and sees the touristy stuff, and doesn't hang around in the places I frequent (my hospital workplace, my suburban neighborhood, my grocery store, etc.) because the spots I'm usually found at are damned boring!

Quote:
Shrug, I just don't worry about pickpocketing, it could just as easily happen here so I don't know why people get to leery about it.
Because you have more resources to fall back on if it happens to you at home. At home, you have friends and family who'll float you a loan until you can get a new ATM card, and you can probably get by without your credit cards and ID for a couple of days. And a driver's license is a lot easier to replace than a passport.

Quote:
When I went to Nicaragua I was on an island that had no bank, no ATMs. I walked around with over a thousand dollars in cash because most places didn't take credit cards either. Nothing was stolen, I didn't worry about anything getting stolen because I had my messenger bag on me at all times except when I was back at my casita. And there I locked my wallet up in the safe provided.
That's the same logic that says it's safe to drive around without using a seat belt, because a car crash is so unlikely.

Pickpocketing/petty theft, like a car crash, is a low-frequency but very harmful event. If someone HAD snatched that messenger bag and you had ALL your money and ALL your IDs in it, you'd have been in a world of hurt. What's wrong with minimizing the chances of that happening by splitting things up so a snatch-and-grab thief wouldn't get everything?

Old 02-20-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Pickpocketing/petty theft, like a car crash, is a low-frequency but very harmful event. If someone HAD snatched that messenger bag and you had ALL your money and ALL your IDs in it, you'd have been in a world of hurt. What's wrong with minimizing the chances of that happening by splitting things up so a snatch-and-grab thief wouldn't get everything?
The island is safe, I did my research & not one time did I feel threatened. That was my decision & it worked out great. Thanks for your concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel